Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jack Reacher series on Amazon Prime

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I liked the movies, but I had no connection to the books. I don't care for Tom Cruise much as a person, but I tend to like his movies. I knew people were upset because Reacher was supposed to be a giant badass, but it didn’t bother me much. If anything, a normal sized human that’s a badass is a lot more interesting because he doesn’t have the natural advantage of being a hulking monster. Not that I don't love old school Ahnold or the Rock in over the top stuff but for someone that's supposed to be a bit more of just a tough guy and not a superhero, not being super tall doesn't matter much.

But Cruise is not a normal size human. He is a midget.

In 2021, Amazon will fuck this up, just like they did with the Jack Ryan series.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    But Cruise is not a normal size human. He is a midget.

In 2021, Amazon will fuck this up, just like they did with the Jack Ryan series.
    Oh my god, right!!!??!!

The second season of Jack Ryan was as bad as the first was good.

So much dissing on Tom Cruise. He’s probably the hardest working actor, both on and off screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    So much dissing on Tom Cruise. He’s probably the hardest working actor, both on and off screen.
    Yes, Gary Oldman was saying that just the other day.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I've heard the same thing myself. I have, or did in the past, listen to podcasts by folks attached to the entertainment industry in one way or another (Adam Carolla, Kevin Smith, Joe Rogan). They all have said essentially the same thing, he works hard, he's extremely nice, and he goes out of his way to remember you and details about you.

I think the biggest issue with him is that he always plays "himself" in movies. You can't see the character without seeing Tom Cruise, unlike Gary Oldman for example. The Scientology thing also colors people's impressions of him.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Speaking of actual actors...

(Been a big fan of Oldman's work for decades. He should have received recognition for his talent much earlier on.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I have and have read everyone of the Bosch books too and am not a big fan of the series. I have thousands of books and kind of like the idea that when I read them, I can see the characters the way I envision them.

Bob

Weird...I wasn't a fan of the Bosch books until the series came out. Titus Welliver is Bosch to me.

For a long, long time, Robert Parker's Spenser for Hire was my favorite line of books and I've always said that the original TV series did by far and away the best job of casting I'd ever seen. Robert Urich nailed Spenser's boyish charm and smartass attitude while still being believable when he was serious, Avery Brooks will always be Hawk and Barbara Stock was perfect as Susan Silverman. She wasn't Elizabeth Hurley drop dead gorgeous, but when she smiled, you could see why she always warmed Spenser's heart.

The Reacher books are kinda stupid and I should know, I've read every one of them. I thought Tom Cruise did a great job of capturing Reacher's attitude and I like the movies.

Will definitely watch the series, probably even after Amazon fucks it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Weird...I wasn't a fan of the Bosch books until the series came out. Titus Welliver is Bosch to me.

For a long, long time, Robert Parker's Spenser for Hire was my favorite line of books and I've always said that the original TV series did by far and away the best job of casting I'd ever seen. Robert Urich nailed Spenser's boyish charm and smartass attitude while still being believable when he was serious, Avery Brooks will always be Hawk and Barbara Stock was perfect as Susan Silverman. She wasn't Elizabeth Hurley drop dead gorgeous, but when she smiled, you could see why she always warmed Spenser's heart.
    Titus Welliver does a good job bringing that world weary quality to his characters. We've been fans since "Brooklyn South".
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Titus Welliver does a good job bringing that world weary quality to his characters. We've been fans since "Brooklyn South".
    Amazon's Bosch is rather unique in that it seems to have stayed true to the book character while changing things enough to make him relevant to a different era. He's not a Vietnam vet for example. And the stories themselves are all adapted from the novels but with enough difference to make the shows worth watching. A different genre entirely but The Expanse is also good in this regard.

Other shows, Shooter for example, are not even close and spoil what makes the books and the book character good in the first place.

User Tag List