Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duty Grade / High Value Red Dot for AR-15

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I've had a few PROs, still have 2 mounted on my SBRs, no regrets. I'll upgrade to T2s eventually but haven't been able to justify it yet. the PROs work great.

Few things on a weapon system matter as much as the optic. It's tempting, especially after having spent a bunch of dough on the gun, to look for something "good enough." But it's usually only the high-end stuff that brings enough mojo to the party that one can confidently eliminate it as one of the questions surrounding the biggest question of all... "will I hit, or will I miss?"

Another vote for Aimpoint or Trijicon.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Few things on a weapon system matter as much as the optic. It's tempting, especially after having spent a bunch of dough on the gun, to look for something "good enough." But it's usually only the high-end stuff that brings enough mojo to the party that one can confidently eliminate it as one of the questions surrounding the biggest question of all... "will I hit, or will I miss?"

Another vote for Aimpoint or Trijicon.
    Very true. In addition to durability questions, adjustments on lower tier optics can be iffy at best.

Cops are some of the cheapest people on the planet, always eyeballing the "just as guud" optic or mount that costs 1/3 as much as a known reliable standard. Then when they need their "Just as Guud" to work, it is all jacked up.

I would cringe when some clown would show up on a call with his personally owned rifle from an agency that allowed them to stick on whatever they wanted. The thought of relying on their equipment to run properly when lives were at stake was not confidence inspiring.

I got tired of trying to convince dudes to not buy Chinese crap, pot metal mounts, airsoft garbage, etc. It drove me nuts. They would ask what to buy, I would make a recommendation, then they would get something out of a Sportsman's Guide catalog that was "military style"... SMH...

The punchline is, if you need a basic RDO, buy an Aimpoint PRO.

When you need your optic to work, it will actually work and stay zeroed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    Aimpoint PRO. I have used Aimpoint T1 and a Trijicon MRO for the last few years. I have gone back to the PRO. I can run any decent red dot I wish (we are issued Vortex ) I have found that I like the PRO better than the MRO, and almost half the price of a T2. If you decide to get a PRO, look at the SKD Tactical QRP spacer. You can get multiple heights, and the best part is you can turn the mount knob around to the ejection port side (can't do this with the factory spacer). I use 1.73" so I can still see irons on my duty gun, but use the 1.93" on my competition .308 AR.
    May I ask what leads you to prefer the Aimpoint Pro over the Trijicon MRO? I only have experience with the MRO, so I’m wondering what I’m missing out on.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    May I ask what leads you to prefer the Aimpoint Pro over the Trijicon MRO? I only have experience with the MRO, so I’m wondering what I’m missing out on.
    I'm not msstate56 but here are a couple cons to the MRO that I've seen:

More "fish eye" distortion than some other similar optics

Not as many brightness settings, as I mentioned above

Elevation and windage adjustments that are exposed and unprotected. I personally have not heard of anyone having issues with adjustments getting rubbed or otherwise accidently moved but the potential seems to be there.

Sort of a blocky and large external profile from the shooter's perspective which may partially obscure the target.

The rifle I put together as my first “did it right this time” build, based on a lot of advice from this forum, has a PRO on it, and in that respect and others is meant to check the *actual* bare minimum standards for what one truly needs on a defensive AR - I was working on a tight budget, but didn’t want to waste smaller amounts of money on any components that weren’t duty grade by reasonably objective standards. The PRO was exactly the optic to meet that goal. I also got it from a forum member who generously made me a good deal on it.

Another vote for the Pro. I have used the Micros (H1, T1, T2) and even a LVPO at work for a while but came back around and settled on the Pro. I prefer the tube and for some reason the dot on the Pro looks crisp and clear compared to other Aimpoints. I bought the Scalarworks Pro bundle and couldn't be happier. The mount is definitely worth the extra $.

https://scalarworks.com/shop/quick-d...ounts/leap-02/

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    There are a few user preference differences, but in my opinion the main downside of the MRO is that it has more parallax than Aimpoint options. I would probably still take an MRO over an Aimpoint PRO due to the size and weight, but I prefer the T2 or Comp M5 and think they are worth the extra money compared to the MRO.

I'm on EXPS3-0 (except for a T1 on a skyscraper mount for my SR15). I find that its fast, and has battery compatibility with all my other devices (rifle lights, pistol lights, lasers, handheld), and it's easier to look through NODS. Since it comes as a 1/3 height with a QD, you don't have to but a mount separately, which saves some cost

User Tag List