Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Essential Non-Essential Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    There are no warts on the model 10 or 64. Or 15.
    It's PF. If one has a plain vanilla 4" 10 or 64, they are very likely to also have a far more exciting pre-15, or 2" 10, or 3" 19, or other more exciting K's. The plain 4" is kind of the middle child, neglected in the back of the safe, wearing the hand-me-down stocks.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Yup, I got one....

I have too many. Below are some.

1) Colt Series '80 in 9x23 Winchester. Pretty much the most hipster factory 1911 ever. It is a blast to shoot and does fill a niche, but I could do the same with a S&W 686.

2) Norinco NS522 .22 bolt. Gets one Com-Bloc credit and it was inspired by (stolen from) a classic .22 bolt design.

3) Norinco 1911 because nothing is more American today than, "Designed in the USA by JMB and Made in China." Also another Com-Bloc credit. *This was typed on a MacBook.

4) Freedom Arms Model 83 in .454 Casull. Definitely a step up from .44 Magnum.

Site Supporter
    LW Seecamp in the original .32 acp flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    There's also the pretty much unusable heirloom gun
    I posted a picture somewhere here before, but I have a literally unusable one, some kind of European Khyber pass type revolver that's bent like a banana from being used as a hammer, complete with nail head imprints on one grip panel. The markings are in first class engrish, but appear to indicate it is chambered in .44 Colt.

There is also Grandpa's "limited edition" .22 short Colt derringer that I shot only once, (well, one round, technically I fired it four or five times before it went off) the single round being enough to cause a big flake of the nickel finish to come off the muzzle. It's important to have a handgun that uses the same ammo as my Winchester 1890, like an old timey cowpoke riding the range.

Sometimes I catch myself thinking about buying a Brownells AR-180 upper to replace the midlength upper on the Bushmaster XM15 I traded a Norinco M1A and a Bushmaster M17S for in late 1999 (because Y2k.) That would really complete the circle of derp.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Edited down to mine:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Then, there's the PF exclusive ones:
    -A Non-derp tier plastic pocket pistol, that is actually shootable, but never carry it
    -An older 9mm service pistol that doesn't have a rail or optics cut. It shoots well, but you really want the light & dot.
    -The plain vanilla 4" late Model 10/ 64
    I do have a Shield 9mm. But the way things go here, even though people aren't required to register guns brought into the state or those possessed before universal checks/registration went into effect, if, for some reason, you have an interaction with the po-po, things are reputed to go easier if your heater is on the state registry. So, if I want to carry a semi, I grab the LW Commander.

I have an ex-Israeli BHP that I love, but the LWC has tritium sights. So...

And as to the plain vanilla 10/64, betcherass.

On the heirloom guns, I have a cut Webley Mk.VI. It was my Dad's. I should get some components and load up appropriate cartridges for it, but hell, the DA trigger pull is like trying to lift a heifer with one finger and the SA pull is incredibly touchy.

My dad had it because, back nearly 70 years ago, he knew the sheriff of the county. The sheriff gave him a badge and creds, as an auxiliary deputy, mostly so Dad could get out of tickets. But he was required to have a handgun and about the cheapest thing around were the Webleys that were then flooding the market, and so, he bought one. I don't think he ever shot it.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 01-15-2021 at 12:35 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List