Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Essential Non-Essential Firearms

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    -your first attempt at building an AR-15, and is mainly a record of what not to do.
    The first AR-15 I "built" (just put together the lower...) is still totally awesome. I did upgrade the glass once, and probably will do so again way down the line.... but no regrets.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Gotta have a bear gun no matter where you live.
    I still don’t understand the forum’s inordinate fear of husky, hairy gay men....

I feel attacked by this thread.

I've got half a safe of "effectively useless heirlooms". I've managed to give a few away to family and friends. But I have two break open 16-gauges, a .410, and a bolt action 20-gauge in the safe. The bolt action 20 has a poly choke on it. I bet I could fit a fiber optic sight to it and have a decent bird gun. For the bird hunting I never do.

There is the 30" barreled Winchester Model 25 in there too. That I'm going to send off to Vangcomp Soon...

Half a dozen .22s of various flavors and stripes that are effectively unusable/tradeable. One bolt action I actually am fixing up for the next nephew who is coming of age. I'll probably try to get two more into reasonable shape for the other kids.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-13-2021 at 12:12 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Gun companies really should donate heavily to organizations that defend bears and their habitat.
    Isn’t that where the 11% excise tax is supposed to go ?

The only thing more contentious than the ideal bear gun is “special forces” guns.

Of course the ultimate PF thread would be the perfect handgun to arm an all bear special forces unit.

Picture it, an SF unit made up exclusively of husky hairy gay men and grizzly bears dual wielding select fire compensated Glock 20s with Flux defense braces.

In all seriousness the #1 threat is always people.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Of course the ultimate PF thread would be the perfect handgun to arm an all bear special forces unit.
    Everyone knows that's the Mk23 loaded with .45 Super.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Everyone knows that's the Mk23 loaded with .45 Super.
    There's something to be be said for that but let us not forget:

Name:  20210113_120236.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  22.1 KB

I already have 2 SKSs and a PSL-54, so I feel that I've got my COMBLOC guns covered.

I've been thinking about buying a Colt M45A1, Kimber SIS or Springfield TRP......just so I can finally have a 1911 as a stereotypical American, even though I think they're garbage as a modern defensive piece.

Rather, I think it's at least an interesting history that those three are basically the last of the 1911s used by any famous outfit. Need more room in the safe, so I'll probably have to ditch my Micro Eagle, Kahr PM9 and SIG P250 380, or even my HK P2000 (my first pistol) if I'm going to fit much more. The 5 K-Frames and 2 Beretta 92s sure as shit aren't going to get offloaded instead...
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    First, I toyed with a 308 Saiga when they were cheap but never did that. Are they still around?

I still don’t understand the forum’s inordinate fear of husky, hairy gay men....
    Did I tell this one? So, I want to look at something from Dillon. I type what I think would be Dillon's URL. Turns out it is a site for 'bears'. OMG - my wife looks over my shoulder and says OMG. Laughter ensues. Thus, I was in the LGS and ran into a fellow TX shooter and Givens' conference participant. He is a big ursine fellow. I tell him the funny thing that happened. He cracks up. Says his parents wanted to give him a present and he says to go to the 'bear' site as he thinks that is Dillon's. Then his mom calls him and says: Honey, is there something you want to tell us?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    There is the 30" barreled Winchester Model 25 in there too. That I'm going to send off to Vangcomp Soon...
    Those are sleepers. Basically a non-takedown Model 12.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

A certain teenager may or may not have saved up from paper route money to purchase a non-functional, but virtually indistinguishable from real, MP40 submachine gun from Interarms in Alexandria Virginia, complete with folding stock and a magazine worth of inert machined brass "cartridges". With a sliding bolt, that ejected said cartridges.

That later in college, he kept around in his dorm room, for fun.

Ah, the carefree days of youth.

User Tag List