Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Essential Non-Essential Firearms

Essential Non-Essential Firearms

Here at PF, we've made a list of the essential firearms that every American should own- a 1911, a K Frame S&W, a Glock, an AR-15.

But, as every gun owner knows, there's those guns we don't need, and really don't use that we all seem to wind up with in the safe at one time or another.

So, I would venture that every gun owner should either have, or should have possessed at some point in time one of the following:

-a Commie milsurp handgun that was cheap, but really unpleasant to shoot
    -a Derp Tier plastic pocket pistol likewise
    -the .40/.357sig inexpensive police trade in that you are going to convert to 9mm. Soon(tm)
    -a .22lr semiauto version of the SMG you though looked cool, but doesn't really work
    -that sub $400 1911 like object you thought you would learn gunsmithing on
    -$400 of aftermarket 1911 parts that don't fit the above, and will never fit the above
    -a Universal civilian M-1 Carbine that is kind of sad and disappointing in an unexplainable way
    -your first attempt at building an AR-15, and is mainly a record of what not to do.
    -a milsurp bolt action that's hidden under decades of cosmoline
    -some kind of big thumping magnum handgun that you hate shooting, and can't really afford to shoot anyway
    -a PPK that makes the big thumping magnum look pleasant
    -Something in an odd caliber that lets you pretend that you'll get into reloading for it
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

A commie long gun: AKM, AK-74, vz.58, SKS, etc.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    -Something in an odd caliber that lets you pretend that you'll get into reloading for it
    That's my32 HR or 327 J frames. Although I do carry the 432 and it is praised quite a bit by us in the 'know'.

I would add SAA guns, unless you have a specific hunting outdoors need, to the general concept. Also, anything specifically designed for 22S.

Commie long gun - a Dragunov. We had a kid at school who was a Russian re-enactor. Had a Dragunov off campus but had to move it and there was a day between locations, so he put it in his dorm room. Of course, someone saw it and turned him in. The school wanted to throw him out as being a looney. I forget what happened to him.

Site Supporter
    Haha replace the bolt action milsurp with a K31 straight pull rifle and you got me.

It's a neat gun. I just hate it.

Lemme see...got a .41 Magnum which definitely made me start reloading. Sold the filipino slag 1911.

Should we add the TDA pistol you got because you read "Fear not the double action shot" and then realized you had a crapload of glock stuff and it was stupid to get yet another 9mm defensive handgun that you'll now need holsters, mags, sights and space in the rubber sided gun safe?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

A copy of the first cheap .22 rifle you had as a kid.

There's also the pretty much unusable heirloom gun
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I honestly do not and have not ever had anything on the list. But I have come close to and still brush up against falling victim to the lure of a thumping magnum!

Bonus round-
    -A Taurus, because it's Just As Good As A Beretta/S&W!
    -A Kel-Tec long gun
    -or any kind of inexpensive bullpup shotgun or rifle for that mater
    -A Kimber, which is often a more expensive version of the $400 1911 like object

-a Commie milsurp handgun that was cheap, but really unpleasant to shoot - check, Polish Radom, works with a Wolff 18lb hammer spring, still horrendous DA. First Pocket pistol.

-the .40/.357sig inexpensive police trade in that you are going to convert to 9mm. Soon(tm) Glock 22. Lonestar conversion barrel. Great accuracy, got to watch OAL of ammo.

-that sub $400 1911 like object you thought you would learn gunsmithing on Dropped $300.00 on a used Rock Island Armory 1911A1-FI., installed Dawson fiber optic sights, Ed Brown semi-drop in march barrel, general clean and polish of internals, LOK Bogey grips. Runs good, accuracy, much improved.

-$400 of aftermarket 1911 parts that don't fit the above, and will never fit the above
    Ordered what I thought was the appropriate adjustable rear sight from the boys in Pahrump, didn't come close to fitting, still laying on bench.

-your first attempt at building an AR-15, and is mainly a record of what not to do. I built my first one after attending the Colt Armorers Course and then Greg 'Sully' Sullivan's basic and advanced AR armorer courses at work. Still have it, it's my primary trainng rifle.

-a milsurp bolt action that's hidden under decades of cosmoline
    yep, an Enfield No 5 Jungle Carbine. Paid $20.00 extra for pick of the litter - wasted money - if that was the pick I'd hate to see the runt. Tore down and really cleaned it up, it's still strung out in various places, I ought to put it together someday.

closest I come to this is saving .380 brass when it jams the case feed on my 550.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    There's also the pretty much unusable heirloom gun
    Unusable because of scarcity and value or, well:

Name:  20210112_211651.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  79.4 KB

Asking for a friend...

User Tag List