Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ attempting to buy Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Maybe CZ figures an import ban is coming very soon and they want a factory in the US. I think it would be cheaper for them to just build a CZ factory in the US. Maybe they did the numbers and thought it made sense. The last thing colt needs is more investors
    They already do. CZ makes P-10s in Kansas and Dan Wesson makes their stuff in New York.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Frankly, I am not sure what value CZ can get out of this deal... I guess that's why I don't run a gun company...
    I would guess the name/trademark as a prestige brand and better access to gov't contracts, aside from the physical assets and employees. I don't know how much debt Colt currently has, but it's probably still a metric shit ton. If CZ has ready cash on hand to eliminate the debt burden and free up operating cash, maybe they can do things Colt couldn't. Plus they'll have a much larger product mix then Colt alone did. Use Colt as the "Cadillac" brand, use CZ as the "Chevrolet" brand sort of thing, maybe?

I haven't dug into it at all, just spitballing.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Err... You probably meant Czech overlords. Or are you time traveling to 1992?
    For some of us, the Cold War never ended.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

A couple of people have mentioned it in passing, but based on their history I see this as a 100% positive. CZ did this once before with Dan Wesson, which as a brand has a much less well known name than Colt; and brought DW back from the dead. People like Hilton Yam speak very highly of the quality you get with a Dan Wesson 1911, and I tested their 715 revolver five years ago and found it to be a pretty well put together piece of machinery. If CZ brings that level of "giveashit" to the Colt lineup, it will mean nothing but good things for Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I would guess the name/trademark as a prestige brand and better access to gov't contracts, aside from the physical assets and employees. I don't know how much debt Colt currently has, but it's probably still a metric shit ton. If CZ has ready cash on hand to eliminate the debt burden and free up operating cash, maybe they can do things Colt couldn't. Plus they'll have a much larger product mix then Colt alone did. Use Colt as the "Cadillac" brand, use CZ as the "Chevrolet" brand sort of thing, maybe?

I haven't dug into it at all, just spitballing.
    What about CZ buying all of Colt including all of the intellectual property and such, but moving the manufacturing to Kansas and the existing CZ infrastructure? I would think re-energizing gun manufacturing in Hartford CT would be an expensive uphill battle. Lots of legacy political and union issues to contend with.

I’m not a fan of Colt right now, not due to their legacy products, but due to their baggage and politics. They have been screwed by New York investors and CT politics more than a few times. On the other hand, I am a fan of CZ.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Central TX supports this sentiment.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The Czechs are solid. There are worse overlords we could have.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    For some of us, the Cold War never ended.
    As of today, Czech Republic is much more pro democracy, gun rights, freedom of speech and individual freedom than USA. As of today.

It's not like the customer service department could get any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    As of today, Czech Republic is much more pro democracy, gun rights, freedom of speech and individual freedom than USA. As of today.
    Haven't fact checked Wikipedia, but if we can rely on this, it's a helluva lot more free than many of our states. Not to mention what I choose to believe is the mandatory hottie in every gun store.

Name:  CB365038-4650-4E99-9C7D-5A4D88BCE075.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  100.9 KB

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_...Czech_Republic

User Tag List