Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ attempting to buy Colt

That guy's analysis sounds cogent to me. Move it to new facilities in AR, have an owner who wants to be in the business, not just another VC vulture loading up debt, get back to product R&D, don't depend on winning more .gov contracts as the definition of survival. Lead by somebody without a commercial, not .mil mindset like Keyes. Make the most of the great brand they own.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I think proximity, both time and location, matter. It's still the local pub/brewery if the building burns down and they move down the street. It stops being the local pub/brewery when InBev buys it, closes the "new" location, fires the staff, loses the regulars and moves production to Walla Walla Washington.
    So which part makes it stop being the local pub - when InBev buys it, when they fire the staff, when they lose the regulars, or when it closes the 'new' location and moves production elsewhere?

Because Colt has been bought and sold at least four times. There isn't a single person on the staff who has connections to the original factory or production approaches. Sam Colt certainly wasn't in favor of unionization and would have diametrically opposed unionized workers. And we've already established that 'Colts' have been produced in Whitneyville and Hartford, Connecticut; Paterson, New Jersey; London, England; Kitchener, Canada, and several more factories over the nearly 200-year history of the brand.

Historically, one can argue that it hasn't been 'Colt' since 1862, when Sam Colt died.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-15-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Historically, one can argue that it hasn't been 'Colt' since 1862, when Sam Colt died.
    Or that bankruptcies and sales to outsiders are part of Colt's historical charm. Mr. Colt went bankrupt 6 years into his business, after all.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Sam Colt certainly wasn't in favor of unionization and would have diametrically opposed unionized workers. ... Historically, one can argue that it hasn't been 'Colt' since 1862, when Sam Colt died.
    As far as I know, the only "union movement" that existed in 1862 was run out of the War Department.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

This would be great for me personally. Not because I have any remaining affinity for the pony, but rather, I have a couple of shelves in my safe that will be worth far more the day after. The are so many geezers and mouth breathers that would buy into, "They ain't real Colt's!". I've got several guns I could offload at a premium due to that. I've been waiting for Colt to finally go belly up, but this could be the next best thing.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Bring back Bangor Punta

Quote Originally Posted by FrankinCA View Post
    Bring back Bangor Punta
    And can anyone really be a fan of Harley Davidson and ignore the absolute greatness of the AMF period?

Do folks know that Bangor Punta almost bought Harley then too? They were just edged out by AMF's bid.

To think...we could have had Harleys and Smiths made to the same amazing quality...

So which part makes it stop being the local pub - when InBev buys it, when they fire the staff, when they lose the regulars, or when it closes the 'new' location and moves production elsewhere?

Because Colt has been bought and sold at least four times. There isn't a single person on the staff who has connections to the original factory or production approaches. Sam Colt certainly wasn't in favor of unionization and would have diametrically opposed unionized workers. And we've already established that 'Colts' have been produced in Whitneyville and Hartford, Connecticut; Paterson, New Jersey; London, England; Kitchener, Canada, and several more factories over the nearly 200-year history of the brand.

All of the above, because that's what's being discused.

As BBI said, bankruptcy and insolvency is part of Colt's DNA. They have been in a slow rolling bid to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory since the beginning. The only company that can fuck up golden IP like the Colt brand is Colt. No matter which legal entity on paper owns them this week.

It's also worth noting that the most iconic guns-- the 1911s and the Single Action Armies-- were built in Connecticut, as were most of the blackpowder-era revolvers. London Colts are a footnote and building a the original Pattersons in New Jersey doesn't change much. How many Colt Canada firearms have been imported into the US total? Doesn't seem like a whole bunch.

edit: Also, if you don't think there's any intergenerational employment in a union shop (of all places) I've got a bridge to sell you. It doesn't have to go back to the day the cornerstone was set down to have some meaning.
    Last edited by jh9; 01-16-2021 at 08:26 AM.

Man, I just want good guns.

Site Supporter
    https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...t-220-million/

“In a major announcement, we’ve learned that Česká zbrojovka Group SE (CZG) has acquired Colt for a massive $220 million “

I think this will be a good thing.

User Tag List