Thread: Chris reeves sebenza 31 extended Lugs?

Site Supporter

Chris reeves sebenza 31 extended Lugs?

I recently purchased a Chris reeves large sebenza 31. I really like it. But after decades of spyderco’s I’m finding the opening lugs/ stud to be not the easiest . My knife is a right hand model. Does anybody make an extended lug? I think it would make it much easier to open with my thumb

Seems to be a lot of discussion about this model and dealing with possible issues...

I only have an old large "regular" model from 1998 and a small Isingo from some years back so can't advise personally.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I'm spoiled too and I've been tempted to do this to mine on more than one occasion .... I know, heresy.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I recently purchased a Chris reeves large sebenza 31. I really like it. But after decades of spyderco’s I’m finding the opening lugs/ stud to be not the easiest . My knife is a right hand model. Does anybody make an extended lug? I think it would make it much easier to open with my thumb
    How are you opening it? I find it far easier to deploy mine using the nail of my thumb rather than the meat of the thumb, and can flip it open easily without using any wrist. When using the meat of my thumb, it's definitely much more awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I'm spoiled too and I've been tempted to do this to mine on more than one occasion .... I know, heresy.

What was used to cut the hole? Drilling that hardened steel isn't going to be easy.

Site Supporter
    I've carried a 21 for a few years and I've found the opening motion I use is a bit different compared to the technique used for other brands.

While I can flick it using my thumbnail, I've found this to be a little finicky in actual use. I prefer to use a more deliberate sweeping motion using the meaty tip of my thumb on the side of the stud. It is probably marginally slower, but it helps me ensure that the knife is fully open and locked.

Regarding replacement thumbstuds, I've heard of guys using the studs from BM Griptilians with a little fitting. Another popular modification is grinding the tip off the stud to flatten it. As a word of caution, CRK press fits the thumbstuds on these knives, so removing them can take some doing.

User Tag List