Thread: Android iOS alternative phones

Android iOS alternative phones

I'm looking to ditch as much Google as possible, including Google infested Android.

Anyone try one of the open source Linux phones like the Librem 5?
    I don't really use a smartphone to its full potential anyways, so the loss of some functionality is cool with me.
    I really like their 100% made in the USA version even if it is expensive as hell.
    I'm almost to the point of ditching the smartphone completely and going dumb just to see what I've been missing by being so connected.

My phone needs:
    Text messages
    Phone calls
    Basic email (Protonmail and Outlook primarily, Gmail if I absolutely have to for one work account)
    Podcasts (usually have to download them anyway since service is spotty where I primarily listen to them)
    Camera
    Calendar
    A few banking and work type apps that I could access via mobile web sites if no app was available.

Switching to a Linux phone would probably only screw with my Garmin Connected watches, I think everything else could be worked around.

I'm also open to loading Android that has been wiped of Google if such a beast exists (I'm willing to buy a compatible phone if required). I remember playing around with flashing phones with various OS's a few years ago, but would have to get back up to speed on the latest and greatest.

My 2021 New Years resolution is to get as "gray" as possible when it comes to data-mining big tech like Google, Amazon and Apple.
    I'm using a VPN (paid Surfshark VPN) for all my connections now.
    I've switched to Brave Browser (open to better suggestions).
    Switching to Protonmail for email.
    Attempting to cut the Google smartphone cord.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Gab has announced that they are working on a phone. (No date or specs)
    I will get one when it comes out. I am pretty excited though
    they are a company that has their fingers in a bunch of technology in an effort
    to work around the current silicone valley behemoths.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

I’m in the Apple basket and was on Purism’s site earlier looking at the Librem 5. Been following the development of their phone for a few years now. I entertained the idea of using a SIP client to register a 5 to Unified Communications Manager as a replacement to our Cisco WiFi phones, but our IT security people stroked when I said “Linux”.

Purism is still taking pre-orders and it doesn’t appear that many, if any, are actually out in the wild. I like their goal of keeping it “evergreen” in that they plan on improving the code and leaving the hardware alone. The trade off is that as time marches on, real technological improvement will pass you by. The battery is user replaceable, try that with an iPhone. My job requires me to be available and there are several apps for Android or iPhones that we use for communication. I doubt Cisco is writing code for WebEx or Jabber in anticipation of Linux mobile devices.

Purism is probably made up of flaming liberals but I get the impression that they are more of the “live, and let live” kind of outfit.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I have LineageOS without the Google services running on a tablet, and it works well enough. I'd recommend installing on an old device you have lying around to make sure that the apps you want will run without the Google services installed, because some will and some won't.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List