Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Arfcom is down - Killed by commies at least down for the moment

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    i give Proton Mail a second and a whole hearted endorsement. I use it for any type of sensitive emails.
    Thirded
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Do you normally use a VPN at home? Not trying to pry so feel free to be vague, I'm just wondering why only use ProtonVPN for travel?
    No, for a couple reasons. At home all my network traffic is routed through my MAC-address filtered WPA2 encrypted password protected firewalled router direct to a known commercial ISP that I have long history with via a hard wired cable modem. I’m fairly confident my packets will get to / from their destination.

Using ProtonVPN’s free service is at their basic tier, meaning servers with limited availability and lowest throughput. I’ve found running a free VPN slows my Speedtest download from 200+ Mbps to below 30. This is a significant penalty. I’ve seen similar degradation in ping times.

On the road, in an airport or hotel, sometimes I’ll use the ‘free’ WiFi, if I have to. Then, I’ll accept the hit in performance, if I have to connect to a WAP labeled ‘freehoneypotwireless’, but only with VPN on.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-11-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Wolverines!
    I'm going to be pissed if the insurgents take the treasury building and the person that sends my SS draw is taken hostage. Or is it a bot?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Thirded
    Protonmail for the win.

I've been steadily moving all my "important" emails away from Gmail and to Protonmail.
    Anything at all that might be sensitive or confidential goes Protonmail.
    I'm basically turning my Gmail account into a big spam folder full of junk mail from online purchases of nick-nack type items.
    They can data-mine my eclectic purchases all they want, it'll fuck their algorithm.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Out of curiosity, I’ve always wondered who Go Daddy was but have never bothered to look it up?
    Didn’t the owner of GoDaddy catch a lot of flack years ago for going on safari, bashing a tuskless elephant and having the temerity to post the video online?

If I sign up for Proton mail all I need is an email address, right? I have a lot of contacts stored in gmail folders. How do I move those?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I know it is like a flea biting an elephant]
    Maybe. But as I’ve said on other “your-departure-won’t-be-noticed” issues: it may only be a grain of sand on a beach but it’s MY fucking grain of sand and it’ll go on the beach I choose...
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    If I sign up for Proton mail all I need is an email address, right. I have a lot of contacts stored in gmail folders. How do I move those?
    I believe they have an import tool.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    If I sign up for Proton mail all I need is an email address, right? I have a lot of contacts stored in gmail folders. How do I move those?

Here you go...

https://protonmail.com/support/knowl...to-protonmail/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    No, for a couple reasons. At home all my network traffic is routed through my MAC-address filtered WPA2 encrypted password protected firewalled router direct to a known commercial ISP that I have long history with via a hard wired cable modem. I’m fairly confident my packets will get to / from their destination.

Using ProtonVPN’s free service is at their basic tier, meaning servers with limited availability and lowest throughput. I’ve found running a free VPN slows my Speedtest download from 200+ Mbps to below 30. This is a significant penalty. I’ve seen similar degradation in ping times.

On the road, in an airport or hotel, sometimes I’ll use the ‘free’ WiFi, if I have to. Then, I’ll accept the hit in performance, if I have to connect to a WAP labeled ‘freehoneypotwireless’, but only with VPN on.
    That makes sense, thank you.

User Tag List