Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Arfcom is down - Killed by commies at least down for the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Shoresy View Post
    it’s MY fucking grain of sand and it’ll go on the beach I choose...
    And ya know, Twitter is probably the most expendable of all of them. What do you need Twitter for? So in my case me and my grain of sand are just gonna stay off the beach, and next quarter the dude with the lame beard will have to tell his parent company shareholders he has one less grain of sand.

Site Supporter
    Wonder what is next on BOR to get cancelled by our new overlords? 1st and 2nd seem to be in full circle-the-toilet territory.

My grain of sand won't be playing on Twitter's beach anymore either. Too bad, I loved the hockey updates...

ETA: Insta gone too... Can't kill FB because my corporate pages are tied to me.
    Last edited by bruceride; 01-12-2021 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm using Nord VPN.

If I get Proton mail, is there a reason to "bundle" and get the paid ProtonVPN as well for some reason to replace Nord VPN that isn't readily apparent? I'm not a tech guy.
    Price break. I haven't studied the deep tech details either. I had ProtonMail first, so getting ProtonVPN just seemed like a logical choice
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I think ARFCOMs problem was poor moderation. They recently had a thread threatening to go to politicians homes and their kids schools. After January 6th, there are going to be crackdowns from private companies on that type of threatening speech.

Do we have a separate "privacy" type thread in relation to this? As in what phone OS, email, vpns, etc? With the parlor, twitter, facebook banning my tin foil hat has come out the closet.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    Do we have a separate "privacy" type thread in relation to this? As in what phone OS, email, vpns, etc? With the parlor, twitter, facebook banning my tin foil hat has come out the closet.
    This is a thread that's been running for a while, although others pop up here and there. A few minutes with the search function should turn up others.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I think ARFCOMs problem was poor moderation. They recently had a thread threatening to go to politicians homes and their kids schools. After January 6th, there are going to be crackdowns from private companies on that type of threatening speech.
    Except on Twitter when conservatives are threatened.
    #RESIST

"It's twelve o'clock Americans, another day closer to victory, and for all of you out there on and behind the lines, this is your song."

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Seems to me that there is a big opportunity for a libertarian or conservative entrepreneur to offer various services to all of those kicked off of, or pissed off by, the current established tech companies.
    There really isn't. That "big" opportunity is an opportunity to invest in a lot of hardware and dev $$$ for a small slice of the market with incredibly fickle ad revenue and vendor support.

Those "various services" in Amazon, Google, Facebook and Apple have broad, incestuous niches and can take advantage of not only existing partnerships but economies of scale when doing big things. Case in point, Apple buys a shit ton of AWS resources instead of building their own. Netflix does (did?) as well. This feeds AWS from those companies' huge revenues in addition to its own. Likewise the Amazon/Facebook apps on iOS and android. Likewise most people using Google on those same devices, clicking on Amazon/Apple ads.

As time goes on, Google has created its own AWS competitor (GCP) and Apple is maybe disentangling itself from AWS (as may be Netflix?) but they are now very wealthy companies that can go it solo. There is no conservative angel investor that's going to plop down billions to recreate not only the infrastructure but the interleaved, symbiotic revenue streams to create a competitor ecosystem that will never attract more than a handful of Trump supporters. Especially when it's all built on ad revenue and vendor support that will evaporate at the drop of a hat, as Parler found out, when your "free speech" platform has a disproportionate number of posts calling for things like "hang Mike Pence" that go unmoderated.

User Tag List