Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Arfcom is down - Killed by commies at least down for the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    OK, I’ve deleted my Facebook account and have no other social media accounts.
    I will move to protonmail in the next couple days. I am stuck with apple products at work and use legacy Microsoft at home. I’ve been using Firefox for browsing but it seems they are perhaps the most radical of all of them. Who do I move to for a browser?
    You can always run curl commands from your laptop/device and learn to read raw HTML and Javascript...

Unfortunately, we've grown so accustomed to the convenience that service providers like Google offer that we've turned over most to all of our privacy in exchange. Your ISP, your browser, Google etc all capture and sell your information. A VPN will protect you from your ISP and anyone else between you and them but unless they strip off cookies and other information your browser attempts to send back to the server (it's incredible how much that actually is), you'll still quickly be identified as the client.

If you truly want anonymity on the Internet, you'll need to separate your casual surfing from anything that identifies you. IOW, take one device and use it soley for PF.com and anything else you do that's none of anyone else's business, and do it over a trusted VPN provider. Use another device for social media, email, Amazon and everything else tied to your email address, mobile number, etc. Do that also over a trusted VPN.

This article was posted in May, at the peak of the COVID shutdowns. This is likely where the real research in AI is being done - bots to sound like natural language, aimed at dividing this country. Why should our adversaries waste money building ships and aircraft, or risk spilling blood, when they can get us to do it to ourselves?

https://www.scs.cmu.edu/news/nearly-...ca-may-be-bots

Nearly Half of the Twitter Accounts Discussing 'Reopening America' May Be Bots
    CMU Researchers Say Sophisticated, Orchestrated Bot Campaigns Aim To Sow Divide

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    This article was posted in May, at the peak of the COVID shutdowns. This is likely where the real research in AI is being done - bots to sound like natural language, aimed at dividing this country. Why should our adversaries waste money building ships and aircraft, or risk spilling blood, when they can get us to do it to ourselves?

https://www.scs.cmu.edu/news/nearly-...ca-may-be-bots
    Yeah. This. Exactly.

"Twitter has more bots than people" has been a known issue for years. I created a twitter account for a work hackathon years ago just to write a bot that used IBM's Watson NLP (I guess they call it NLU now) on some specific twitter content related to that employer. (Semantic analysis to determine which users were angry vs satistifed). I never sent a single tweet from it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Yeah. This. Exactly.

"Twitter has more bots than people" has been a known issue for years. I created a twitter account for a work hackathon years ago just to write a bot that used IBM's Watson NLP (I guess they call it NLU now) on some specific twitter content related to that employer. (Semantic analysis to determine which users were angry vs satistifed). I never sent a single tweet from it myself.
    Tangent: people on PF have such fascinating jobs.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I think ARFCOMs problem was poor moderation. They recently had a thread threatening to go to politicians homes and their kids schools. After January 6th, there are going to be crackdowns from private companies on that type of threatening speech.
    It looks like shitposting is much more likely to be treated as a credible threat now. Apple news is highlighting an ABC News story that claims armed protestors are planning to storm all 50 state capitals, based on a leaked internal FBI memo purple monkey dishwasher.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/armed-prot...ry?id=75179771

It looks like we're now in a cycle of bold steps being aggressively taken to make everything worse.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    It looks like shitposting is much more likely to be treated as a credible threat now. Apple news is highlighting an ABC News story that claims armed protestors are planning to storm all 50 state capitals, based on a leaked internal FBI memo purple monkey dishwasher.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/armed-prot...ry?id=75179771

It looks like we're now in a cycle of bold steps being aggressively taken to make everything worse.
    God, that is so laughable.
    #RESIST

Well have you seen CNN though? America is Confronting Dark Forces! Unfortunately none of the forces being confronted is unbridled hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    God, that is so laughable.
    what's so laughable about it? There are enough deranged, violent, conspiracy theory-fueled morons out there for this to be a legitimate concern.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    what's so laughable about it? There are enough deranged, violent, conspiracy theory-fueled morons out there for this to be a legitimate concern.
    On both sides of the ledger...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Google etc all capture and sell your information
    I realized a long time ago that FB was a bad choice because of data mining. Until recently I never thought Google was doing the same thing. Emails started popping up from places and people I had no contact with, unknown to me, mostly trying to sell me something but others were politically focused.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List