Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best non-leather belt is?

Quote Originally Posted by willowofwisp View Post
    I am a big fan of the belts made by Ares Gear, I have been running a ranger since October and the thing is aewsome.
    I'll second this, but I'm also a Wilderness Instructor/Frequent Flyer belt fan as well. Both are excellent choices for supporting your gun and mags.

I am a big fan of the belts made by Ares Gear, I have been running a ranger since October and the thing is aewsome.
    Yeah mine finally came in a few weeks ago and I've been wearing it everyday since. It's outstanding.

All of the above choices have their own limitations, however, none of them scream much of anything unless you're wearing them during a black tie reception party.
    The Liger belt thread covers that piece of garment well.
    The Wilderness belt has long been a standard others are judged against. My only issue with it is velcro flap that takes away half of practical "real estate". I saw some folks here offset the buckle to 4 pm, which is an interesting idea.
    Ares belt is awesome, unless your gear has closed loops and you need to remove your pouches/holsters frequently. Because of buckle design, you need to remove that buckle to pull your stuff out. If your gear has snap loops or clips, or if you don't have to take your stuff off, then Ares is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    All of the above choices have their own limitations, however, none of them scream much of anything unless you're wearing them during a black tie reception party.
    The Liger belt thread covers that piece of garment well.
    The Wilderness belt has long been a standard others are judged against. My only issue with it is velcro flap that takes away half of practical "real estate". I saw some folks here offset the buckle to 4 pm, which is an interesting idea.
    Ares belt is awesome, unless your gear has closed loops and you need to remove your pouches/holsters frequently. Because of buckle design, you need to remove that buckle to pull your stuff out. If your gear has snap loops or clips, or if you don't have to take your stuff off, then Ares is the best.
    Most of my holsters use snap loops, except for my raven concealment mag carriers..and let me tell you its a pain to remove the buckle and then rethread through the magazine carrier, so I switched to Cane and Derby SSL magazine carriers with the cantilever loops, its awesome I can just throw the mag carrier on or off when I desire and the magazine sits a tad bit lower than my ravens so it doesn't pinch my spare tire.
    Chemist.

Most of my holsters use snap loops, except for my raven concealment mag carriers..and let me tell you its a pain to remove the buckle and then rethread through the magazine carrier, so I switched to Cane and Derby SSL magazine carriers with the cantilever loops, its awesome I can just throw the mag carrier on or off when I desire and the magazine sits a tad bit lower than my ravens so it doesn't pinch my spare tire.
    Yeah, with Ares belt, the quick-detach option is pretty much a must, unless you don't remove your stuff at all.
    The CDI gear has some interesting features to it, but I am not ready to make any comments yet; I only received mine yesterday. The low ride for mag carrier is an intentional design feature, which may appeal to some but not others, we'll see.

Back to belts: having tried many, I return to my [previous] opinion that correctly sized and well built leather belt is the best option for me: excellent durability, great support, easy on-easy off, great looks and, with right choice of buckle, compatibility with different styles of clothes. The only Achilles heel is lack of a fine adjustment capability of Wilderness and Ares belts. And price.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    I had a belt made from a guy named Kary Welch. It is like a wilderness belt but maybe a little stiffer in 1.5 with a 1.5inch cobra buckle. It is a really nice made belt.
    I have had a few of his belts, one early design and one of his latest and both have been great. One thing that has lead me away from the cobra buckle is how much of a pain in the ass it ended up being. My Eotac Wilderness belt is not nearly as cool on the internet, but having had both, I find no faults with the Wilderness design that would lead me back to the cobra buckles. The scuba webbing is nice, but the 5 stitch can support 2 carbine mags, 2 pistol mags, and a full size pistol with a light for 8 hours at a time without much issue.

User Tag List