Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gun winter is coming: winterize yourself

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Based on living through the 1994 AWB, I remember $20 Glock 17 magazines becoming $100-$150 magazines. And that was with the factories basically running 24/7 cranking out "pre-ban magazines" between the AWB's passage and its effective date. I also remember LGS swapping normal capacity magazines for ten-round magazines. Or just taking one of the two supplied magazines and claiming, "That is how Glock shipped it".

As such, my not-so-snarky answer is, "As many as you can afford." This is especially for double-stack 9x19 magazines as the ten-round 9x19 restricted magazine has a well earned reputation for not reliably feeding.
    I started my immersion into the gun culture right before the 94 AWB so know where you are coming from. That said, my concern with the “buy as many as you can afford now” plan is that I doubt that the next law is going to allow transfer of standard capacity magazines if they don’t actually achieve their desire of making them NFA items. I’m beginning to think the goal is to have “enough.”

Quote Originally Posted by Shoresy View Post
    In very general terms... roughly $35/1000 primers. $25-35 for a pound of powder. (Those will vary with specific products but pretty accurately illustrate most of what was on the shelf the past couple years.)
    Agree on the primers. That's the number I use when calculating my per round cost. I buy powder in 8 lb containers to minimize the cost. I use $20/lb as a rough estimate. Bullets is harder to get a handle on because there are so many options. 55 gr Hornady (5.56) could be found for 0.10 not long ago. My brass is free.

I can load a rd. of 5.56 for $0.21 using those numbers. 0.15/rd. for pistol hard ball. 0.25/rd for good SD ammo. I don't load for SD though, I buy that.

But none of this matters now because components are no longer available or in short supply.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Based on living through the 1994 AWB, I remember $20 Glock 17 magazines becoming $100-$150 magazines. And that was with the factories basically running 24/7 cranking out "pre-ban magazines" between the AWB's passage and its effective date. I also remember LGS swapping normal capacity magazines for ten-round magazines. Or just taking one of the two supplied magazines and claiming, "That is how Glock shipped it".

As such, my not-so-snarky answer is, "As many as you can afford." This is especially for double-stack 9x19 magazines as the ten-round 9x19 restricted magazine has a well earned reputation for not reliably feeding.
    Those of us who lived through AWB times probably have our fair share of stuff so we do not ever go down that path again

Pretty good piece here by my buddy.

Reminded me to go pick up some more STI mags.

User Tag List