Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: practicing with gloves

Site Supporter

Try Nomex aviator gloves

FWIW-
    I’ve had good luck with gloves like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Nomex-...07&sr=8-7&th=1

They offer great tactile feedback and dexterity, are available in sizes more refined than S-M-L, and good in chilly weather.
    I regularly shoot with them in winter pistol matches, or at least wear them between stages.
    For truly cold weather, I wear them under mittens.

I retired from the AF 9 years ago, and still have several pair. Still haven’t found anything better for dexterity, mild protection, and mild warmth.
    For those without experience with these gloves, know that it’s good to get them good and snug, and the comfort and tactile feedback improves as they break in.

My only wish is that I could find some with fingertips that work with iPhones. Magpul made some a few years ago, and they fit well, but the pads on the fingertips really don’t work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    FWIW-
    I’ve had good luck with gloves like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Nomex-...07&sr=8-7&th=1

They offer great tactile feedback and dexterity, are available in sizes more refined than S-M-L, and good in chilly weather.
    I regularly shoot with them in winter pistol matches, or at least wear them between stages.
    For truly cold weather, I wear them under mittens.

I retired from the AF 9 years ago, and still have several pair. Still haven’t found anything better for dexterity, mild protection, and mild warmth.
    For those without experience with these gloves, know that it’s good to get them good and snug, and the comfort and tactile feedback improves as they break in.

My only wish is that I could find some with fingertips that work with iPhones. Magpul made some a few years ago, and they fit well, but the pads on the fingertips really don’t work very well.
    I still have a pair of thin nomex gloves we were issued with our SRT gear back when I was on the team. But it's the long version that goes a ways up the forearm.

They are much better than most other options, I agree.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I still have a pair of thin nomex gloves we were issued with our SRT gear back when I was on the team. But it's the long version that goes a ways up the forearm.

They are much better than most other options, I agree.
    Yes, most go about 6” above the wrist.
    The standard “pilot trick” is to roll them down as far as required. Lets you see your wristwatch, and serves as a good handle for pulling them on.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Yes, most go about 6” above the wrist.
    The standard “pilot trick” is to roll them down as far as required. Lets you see your wristwatch, and serves as a good handle for pulling them on.
    They are solid gloves.

Separately, something I've never pursued are insulated "golf gloves". Ken Hackathorn mentioned them in our frigid class with him a few years ago with temps near the teens. He said golf pro shops sell them. I've never gotten around to checking out a golf pro shop though
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Living in Ohio, sometimes we get multiple seasons in the same day. Each year, I start to get tired of HKs and the LEM. I'll find myself outside with the dog, bundled up in my winter jacket and my typical UA gloves, drawing on a moving squirrel. It's usually at that moment I appreciate the large trigger guard and the ability to see the trigger press.
    Taking a break from social media.

Agree with GJM about the mittens that can be flipped off however I like to have contact gloves on under the mittens. Hard to Tap Rack when your hand is stuck the slide or a magazine. Name:  mk23_33.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  105.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    They are solid gloves.

Separately, something I've never pursued are insulated "golf gloves". Ken Hackathorn mentioned them in our frigid class with him a few years ago with temps near the teens. He said golf pro shops sell them. I've never gotten around to checking out a golf pro shop though
    That is what I’ve found is the best.

If you’ve seen some of my videos, it’s cold and snowy.

I can go 90% speed in them on a draw and 99% on actual shooting.

Callaway WINTER golf gloves.

Don't forget the old military surplus fingerless wool gloves! I love them. They work great for shooting, especially with regard to weapon access, and even better after you break them in a little.

I live in Norther Wisconsin, on Lake Superior, and find them useful in multiple seasons. They stow in pockets nicely, so I will also use them when working outside in nasty Winter weather for times when I'm forced to take my real gloves off to manipulate small mechanical fasteners in awkward positions. They are quite an effective middle ground in many scenarios and conditions. I wear them for trips to town even when it's damn cold (with real gloves in reserve).

Everyone should have a pair or two floating around. You can also wear them under large mittens when it gets really cold out. If you ditch your mittens to shoot, or manipulate other objects, you still have some protection.

Name:  Gloves.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  79.6 KB

My two pair of warmest gloves have performed differently in shooting.

One pair is thick fleece material and the other insulated leather gloves.

Shooting with the thick fleece glove, I've seen pretty dramatic shifts in POI, mostly low. Pull them off and change gloves to the leather and POI back to normal. Back to back. I theorize that my grip is not compensating for the soft plushy fleece and the pistol can shift more through the grip and trigger press. Both are easy to rip off so if that's the plan, it doesn't really matter.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    That is what I’ve found is the best.

If you’ve seen some of my videos, it’s cold and snowy.

I can go 90% speed in them on a draw and 99% on actual shooting.

Callaway WINTER golf gloves.

I see on amazon they've got quite a few more size options also.
    Cadet Medium
    Medium
    Medium/Large
    Cadet Large
    Large
    X Large

Apparently "Cadet" signifies the same size range of palm with shorter fingers. Pretty interesting.

User Tag List