Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: practicing with gloves

Site Supporter
    It’s something that I always have to consider since I ride motorcycles a lot and I never ride without gloves. My warmer weather gloves work ok with Glocks, but what I wear this time of year- not so much. I always looks at custom cut Glock frames and think they should have taken material out of the inside of the trigger guard to make it more glove friendly.

“I’m going to take my glove off so I can reach in my pocket to get you my phone/ wallet etc” is a pre-programmed phrase I have for a time when I might need to be compliant in order to further develop a situation.

Also, as a motorcyclist the gloves are the first thing to come off when I’m stopping somewhere and the last piece of ppe that goes on before I leave.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Looks like the LCR would be a better choice than a J frame with gloves on. Thought about getting one for the outer winter coat pocket. But I've never tested one with gloves.

CZs and HKs seem to have big trigger guards.

Glocks and M&Ps kind of suck even with thin gloves. 43x etc. have even smaller trigger guards.

Seems like DAO or DA/SA would be a better choice with gloves
    Heck, living in SoCal the whole time I’ve been shooting pistols, I never even considered the size of the trigger guard. Given I’m moving to a place with winters in 12 months or so, I started to consider stuff like coat pocket carry but never thought of this....

I guess with the popularity of Glocks and M&Ps most people aren’t worrying about this? Is that just because most people aren’t really serious about it? Is this a safety issue with Glocks with something like the cold weather golf gloves or the Pig FDT cold weather glove?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Heck, living in SoCal the whole time I’ve been shooting pistols, I never even considered the size of the trigger guard. Given I’m moving to a place with winters in 12 months or so, I started to consider stuff like coat pocket carry but never thought of this....

I guess with the popularity of Glocks and M&Ps most people aren’t worrying about this? Is that just because most people aren’t really serious about it? Is this a safety issue with Glocks with something like the cold weather golf gloves or the Pig FDT cold weather glove?
    I seldom have to wear gloves but there are times..... I would be uncomfortable controlling the trigger of a glock with anything but very thin (not very warm) gloves on. If one had very thick fingers they probably couldn't even get it in the trigger guard with gloves on.

One thing I liked about the new generation Colt Cobra was the elongated trigger guard compared to the original D-frame. I first fired it at its introduction at the SHOT Show, a bitterly cold January day in Nevada, Writer's Day. Left my gloves on and the little .38 went six for six. I decided I could forgive the ugly non-classic new shape.

Your mileage (and gloves, and fingers) may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When it is really cold in Alaska, like below zero, I would wear mittens with retention cords, so I could quickly throw them off hockey fight style, to be able to use a pistol.
    I've put a lot of work into gloved shooting over the past year and learned a few things.

With practice, using lightweight hot weather style gloves that offer minimal warms but still a little - I could manage the gunhandling of Glocks or 1911s close to equal to barehanded. I'm using these and their earlier generation version:
    https://www.us-elitegear.com/product...aerator-gloves

I learned late fall that something about the cut of my size L Mechanix gloves literally shut me down from running my 1911s. Their fit affected something about how my hand opened/closed/flexed - not sure but I couldn't engage the grip safety from the draw to save my life. This was across several pistols.

But I got a pair of these that are lightly insulated but I could operate my 1911s from draw and everywhere else gunhandling wise.
    https://www.us-elitegear.com/product...-sensor-gloves

Both of those OR gloves have the sensors in some of the fingertips to use operating a smart phone.

I stopped carrying 1911s for the winter, including hunting late fall because even after I sorted out the OR glove options, I didn't want to work on tight tolerances in this area.

Here is where I've found the Gen 5 G19X and G45 to shine among my options in inventory (1911s/wheelies/Glocks). I've not struggled with the trigger guard with the OR glove options. Their consistently firm rolling break triggers have been pretty easy to manage for good results.

BUT it's often been cold here lately when I'm rucking with my doggo pre-dawn, cold enough that the lightly insulated OR Coldshot gloves are uncomfortable. So for this I go to either one of two pair of warmer gloves which are very easy to rip off my hand.

Just yesterday my practice session was dedicated to exactly this as I dressed exactly like I ruck, wearing an Arcteryx Fission SV zipped partly open from the bottom, plus a 40lb pack and shooting SHO as though I still had a leash in my offhand.

I used the 19X from a Fricke Gideon worn A-OWB.

But since it was 22 degrees I used a pair of the large very warm gloves. On the timer I'd bite the glove finger and rip my hand down to clear the coat and draw (still got a leash in my left). I was solid comfortably being able to draw to fire 3 solid hits at 7 yards in 4.24-4.5 seconds.

Note: I abandoned using the HPG chest pack for these purposes. Drilling it on the timer was a hot mess and had FAIL written all over in the use case where I might have a pulling dog on my offhand to boot.

I don't think anything I've learned would solve a pocket draw problem unless maybe it was a large volume coat pocket. But I rarely rarely use that mode of carry.
    Last edited by JHC; 01-11-2021 at 07:20 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

If your heart is set on pants pocket carry, I think GJM's idea of ditchable mittens or gloves is the best answer. I can shoot with my Mechanix gloves but anything remotely warm has to come off to shoot. Have you considered trying a coat with a flapped pocket? That might offer a much simpler obstacle course to get to your revolver. I have to unzip my winter coat to get to my pants pocket.

Name:  D4FF039B-A82B-460A-998F-6B0F09B0B71D.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  EC119774-4D5C-48AC-89A6-E17B1E1FF5E6.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  27.7 KB

Name:  E9884468-9B1F-4F6D-B1B8-3DCD6CAC0ED2.jpeg
Views: 249
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  A4E1906D-2426-4C7F-877F-D29DC314A61C.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  52.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have some old trail edition LL Bean gloves that are doable, but I always plan to ditch the gloves if I can. I just don't like the lack of feedback.

They also make flip top-mittens, I have a pair for working with my astronomical telescope in the cold...but I've never tried them for shooting and don't really plan to since they are a limited use item for me personally.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Hammertime
    I never thought about the ditchable glove/mitten strategy, but it is really a great idea.

Would need significant practice for me.

On a motorcycle (street and dirt) I almost always carry a Glock 26 or 19 OWB in a Raven Perun under my riding jacket and shoot with my thinner gloves or ditch my winter gloves.
    Summer gloves and OWB 26 have never been an issue and I've trained that way multiple times (including shooting with a full face helmet on which is itself an interesting experience).

I'm still working on mountain bike carry.
    I ride (and crash) too aggressively for OWB and none of my off-road riding shorts have "real" belt loops anyway.
    Right now I carry a J frame or Kahr PM9 in what the pack manufacturer calls a quick access cell phone pocket.
    It's a lot like the gun pocket on CCW packs, especially after I added a rip cord to the zipper pull.
    Not super fast, but secure and not going to cause me injury in a crash (by far the biggest concern where I ride, usually alone).
    I do carry a very quick to access auto-knife clipped to my shoulder strap.

Pedaling around the neighborhood, 99% of the time I'm carrying what I was carrying prior to getting on the bike because rarely are winter gloves or retention or crashing an issue.

I think plan A for both motorcycle and bike riding is getting in the habit of removing my right glove (or both) at every opportunity and getting real good at getting it off quickly if required, especially winter gloves.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List