Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: practicing with gloves

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    FWIW-
    I’ve had good luck with gloves like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Nomex-...07&sr=8-7&th=1

They offer great tactile feedback and dexterity, are available in sizes more refined than S-M-L, and good in chilly weather.
    I regularly shoot with them in winter pistol matches, or at least wear them between stages.
    For truly cold weather, I wear them under mittens.

I retired from the AF 9 years ago, and still have several pair. Still haven’t found anything better for dexterity, mild protection, and mild warmth.
    For those without experience with these gloves, know that it’s good to get them good and snug, and the comfort and tactile feedback improves as they break in.

My only wish is that I could find some with fingertips that work with iPhones. Magpul made some a few years ago, and they fit well, but the pads on the fingertips really don’t work very well.
    For a spell some years ago these were my go to but this was in a spell when a local retailer carried them and I could try on a lot of pairs. The size numbering would throw me off and once this supply dried up I couldn't figure out the sizing remotely.

They did work very well. FWIW I found gunhandling wore my pairs out fairly quickly but they aren't very expensive. I think I have a pair stashed somewhere still. Need to find those.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

For those of you looking for short cuffed pilots gloves Pentagon Short Cuff Pilot Gloves Coyote (military1st.com) They ship from across the pond usually by the Royal Post to USPS. I have 2 pair and they keep your hands warm for short ventures outside, you would need an over mitten for extended periods. This is what I use over the pilots gloves U.S. Military Surplus ECWS Mitts, New - 622606, Military Gloves & Mittens at Sportsman's Guide The woobie material liners are slick enough that the mittens slide off almost too easy. I do miss being able to go into the clothing store and get the nomex gloves for $15

This thread also reminds me of:

Quote Originally Posted by M1Garand View Post
    Agree with GJM about the mittens that can be flipped off however I like to have contact gloves on under the mittens. Hard to Tap Rack when your hand is stuck the slide or a magazine. Attachment 66033
    Yes, this is a thing here in Greenland-on-the-Mississippi between December & March, too.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post

I'm still working on mountain bike carry.
    I ride (and crash) too aggressively for OWB and none of my off-road riding shorts have "real" belt loops anyway.
    Safepacker OWB strapped to your biking backpack. Trust me on this. I ride terrain people have difficulty walking. I crash on it occasionally I have been riding like this for a long time and the Safepacker has trounced every other system I tried.

I wore football receiver gloves when I was on SWAT. They worked so well for me when shooting that I wore them while I was stalking while hunting. I also had some unknown brand of thin liner gloves that were tight and worked well when hunting/shooting. I wore fleece gloves over either for extra warmth when needed.

The warmest mittens I ever had were Outdoor Research https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/m...earch_result=1 If my hands were cold and wet with snow, these would warm them right up. You can't grip much in them, but they come off quickly when necessary.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    This thread also got me thinking about SD things other than guns while wearing gloves. I tried thumbing the trigger on a POM pepper spray flip top with my cold weather cycling gloves on. Made me consider whether some other form factor would be better for cold weather season. I could barely fit the tip of the glove in there without worrying about unintentionally activating the device.

Thanks for the reminder OP.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    FWIW-
    I’ve had good luck with gloves like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Nomex-...07&sr=8-7&th=1

They offer great tactile feedback and dexterity, are available in sizes more refined than S-M-L, and good in chilly weather.
    I regularly shoot with them in winter pistol matches, or at least wear them between stages.
    For truly cold weather, I wear them under mittens.

I retired from the AF 9 years ago, and still have several pair. Still haven’t found anything better for dexterity, mild protection, and mild warmth.
    For those without experience with these gloves, know that it’s good to get them good and snug, and the comfort and tactile feedback improves as they break in.

My only wish is that I could find some with fingertips that work with iPhones. Magpul made some a few years ago, and they fit well, but the pads on the fingertips really don’t work very well.
    I ordered a pair and they just came in. They feel and fit nicely.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrasher View Post
    I really dislike using glove!
    Agree, but sometimes theres no choice.

I found deerskin roper gloves that fit basically skin tight but could be pulled off quickly with the teeth once broken in worked pretty well for shooting, even pulling screws and hardware out of my nail bags in winter. I can load a Winchester 30-30 wearing them, and reload a revolver of either type. I found a place with chinese deerskin gloves that work well and only cost $12, but they must grab the size tags at random because I cant see any semblance of order in them when trying them on. I get several sets when I get the chance. A friend glues pieces of deerskin inside the worn spot to keep the holes from taking over, I need to try it. They do wear through, but are worth it while they last. They often come a weird orange or yellow color, leaving them in the sun in a window or truck dash a couple weeks helps get them a nice mellow dead grass color.

I dont think its possible to buy well fitting deerskin gloves without trying them on unless youre just lucky in getting a fit.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List