Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: practicing with gloves

practicing with gloves

Things almost got interesting today.
    I was sitting around the house bored because of all the snow (we got 6" here in the damn desert) and decided I needed to go play in the snow on my electric assist "fat bike" mountain bike.
    So, I throw on a jacket, beanie and some light weight winter cycling gloves (about like Mechanix Wear gloves but waterproof) and head out to pedal around through the drifts.
    I'm having a blast and plowing through drifts on my monster truck bike when I hear a couple kids saying "No! Stop! <unintelligible dog name>" I look over and there's two pre-teen boys holding the leash of a giant pit bull that's dragging them straight towards me.
    The dog does not have that "I want to play" posture, it's got that "I'm on a mission to bite" posture.
    Since I'm already on max electric assist I stomp on the pedals and hit 25-30mph within just a few yards and the dog just cannot keep up while dragging two kids behind him so I quickly leave them all behind.
    Luckily I was on the e-bike, already on max assist and pointed in a getaway direction.
    Luckily the kids were just enough of an anchor that the dog couldn't catch me and they had a good enough grip on the leash that it couldn't break away from them.
    Since I've been hanging out at the house all day I have my J-frame in the right front pocket of my Duluth pants.
    While I have shot the J wearing gloves, I don't have many reps at all drawing it from a pocket with them on.
    So I practiced some draws "after the fact"... better late than never I guess.
    These gloves are a tight fit into the pocket, they catch on the pocket material and give little feedback on whether I have a good grip or not.
    My draw still happens, it's just 1/2 speed and not always with the best grip.
    Would have sucked if I actually had to fight that dog, but I'm sure I'd have got it done.

BTW: tried my G26 AIWB with the same clothes and gloves... still sucked. 1/2 speed, inconsistent grip.

I'm going to practice more draws with gloves on, but I'm also going to do a lot more practice removing my right glove as fast as possible because even after getting to the gun, getting a consistent grip is a bitch (I also have 3 different "weight" gloves for riding and what works with my summer gloves isn't going to work with my insulated armored gloves).

Shooting with gear on (including a full face motorcycle helmet) is something to think about if you ride motorcycles or bicycles.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I started doing some reps with gloves recently and it does suck - especially if your hands are frigid & stiff. Good practice, but definitely slower...

Site Supporter
    Did some reps under my Hoodie+jacket combo before going on a ruck. I came to the conclusion that of the guns I have, the Beretta 92G is the best for it. No safety to miss with my fat fingers, trigger guard is big enough to fit a gloved finger without the gun going off like a Glock or 1911 with the thumb safety off. Index is a little wonky but good enough for government work. If it's a longer shot I can clean up sight alignment in a pinch. Definitely a slightly slower draw pulling all my shit up though. Making me rethink a winter coat that drapes low.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Probably getting a lot of "duhh, of course you gotta train with winter gloves on" but some of us only wear winter gloves once every few years.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

When it is really cold in Alaska, like below zero, I would wear mittens with retention cords, so I could quickly throw them off hockey fight style, to be able to use a pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Might want to include some trigger time with the gloved draw practice, at least dry fire. With a J-frame and gloves, particularly if fingers are large or glove material is thick, it can block trigger return and transform a revolver into a single-shot.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Probably getting a lot of "duhh, of course you gotta train with winter gloves on" but some of us only wear winter gloves once every few years.
    Yeah, us polar inhabitants are used to considering "can I shoot in these or do I need to immediately ditch them" in reference to gloves. The ones that are really warm usually suck ass for shooting, even if you can get them wedged in the trigger guard. I try to buy thin gloves with texture on the palm side only.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    Might want to include some trigger time with the gloved draw practice, at least dry fire. With a J-frame and gloves, particularly if fingers are large or glove material is thick, it can block trigger return and transform a revolver into a single-shot.
    I experienced this at the range yesterday, with a S&W 36-6 matte 3” that I don’t shoot a ton. A quick shake loosened things up, but this is absolutely a possibility. Great point, per usual.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Looks like the LCR would be a better choice than a J frame with gloves on. Thought about getting one for the outer winter coat pocket. But I've never tested one with gloves.

CZs and HKs seem to have big trigger guards.

Glocks and M&Ps kind of suck even with thin gloves. 43x etc. have even smaller trigger guards.

Seems like DAO or DA/SA would be a better choice with gloves

I was a 1911 shooter when I moved to Alaska in 2002. A month into winter I switched to a LEM USP C .45 because of glove and cold hand issues.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List