Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions requested - sell unused firearms now, or wait?

Sigh..."gouging". In a free market there is no such thing. You're welcome to sell your guns for as much as someone else is willing to pay. If you come across a buyer to whom you'd like to offer a discount for whatever reason, then that's your right as well. I've sold some goods for well over what I originally paid for them and I've had to take a hit on others, depending on the market conditions. And I've met buyers who tugged at my heart to whom I've offered discounts.

If you have guns with which you'd like to part, I'd say now is a great time to sell them.

I am an inveterate buyer and seller as I like to try new (to me) firearms. I have gotten to the point where I will not spend additional funds acquiring new firearms and accessories; I fund any purchases via sales of firearms and accessories tried and found wanting. Over the decades, I have broken my armory/collection/aggregation into four different groups: 1) self-defense, 2) competition/hunting, 3) collection, and 4) experiments. The latter group primarily is what gets liquidated although others, primarily collectibles, have been sold/traded when someone wanted one or more a lot more than I do or did.

As others have said, sell if the money would be useful. I haven't seen too much gouging with pistols on the used market. Most people are wanting to get at least what they paid for it (retail at LGS) which happens far too often even in normal times.

I do have a G45 that I've been thinking of getting rid of to fund a full size LTT Elite w/ trigger job but it's my only striker fire gun and isn't there a law that says everyone should own a Glock (G19) even if they don't use it?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    isn't there a law that says everyone should own a Glock (G19) even if they don't use it?
    Everyone must own a 1911, a Glock, and a k-frame. State law.

Country boys must also own a rifle, a shotgun, and a 4 wheel drive. County ordinance.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I know I'll be selling. The divorce put me in a LOT of debt. This current market will at least help me get restarted on the road to financial freedom. I'll be using GB and penny starts. I like my guns but am a capitalist above all. I'll hang onto what I truly need; the rest, see ya.

Same thing with reloading supplies, which if I can figure out a way to sell and ship primers and powder at today's prices, I'm golden, literally. Started my own thread about that.

How is everyone selling guns? Gunbroker? Armslist? My LGS charges more than I care to lose out on when listing guns on consignment. I’ve sold a couple of guns on Armslist before and didn’t have any real issues except for having to sift through the scammers. I see that Armslist now requires a paid subscription before you can list a gun for sale.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    How is everyone selling guns? Gunbroker? Armslist? My LGS charges more than I care to lose out on when listing guns on consignment. I’ve sold a couple of guns on Armslist before and didn’t have any real issues except for having to sift through the scammers. I see that Armslist now requires a paid subscription before you can list a gun for sale.
    You may find that you LGS may be a bit more willing to discount their consignment fees if their shelves are empty. Especially if you want to sell something in high demand like an AR or 9mm semiauto.

Sporting guns are going to be a harder thing to get rid of.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

One thing is, IMO, we all may tend to exaggerate the high and low end of the spectrum a bit. Is something worth $500 or $600? Just the delta cost of a decent dinner tab. If you need/want to streamline I say streamline, if I am speculating correctly on the magnitude of what you might be shedding.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I've reached that part of the journey where I've more or less figured out the ones that work best for me, the ones that I'm sure aren't for me in the long run, and the ones I'm "buy curious" about but will fund only from the proceeds of what I sell. So I've started selling some. I put the first few up on GB at starting prices that would get me back most of what I paid, and a "buy now" price that puts a few bucks in my pocket. If you're not a pig they sell pretty quickly, all of them sold within a few days at the buy now price, and in the process I've made a few new friends from among the buyers.

I mean...I can't answer this question without knowing what you're selling.

Because in the absence of that information, I can't tell you whether you should sell for a profit or send them all to my FFL for a modest loss.

Edit: For serious though, I'm not the best person to ask. Because I buy more frequently than I sell. That's how I ended up with a need for two damn gun safes.

User Tag List