Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions requested - sell unused firearms now, or wait?

Opinions requested - sell unused firearms now, or wait?

I have several handguns and long guns that I’m no longer using, and I want to lighten my load. I’m not looking to gouge, but I’m trying to decide whether to sell now or move them to NH and sell later. I’m going to follow all transfer laws, which here in IL means waiting periods and the like. One advantage to selling while I’m still an IL resident is that the requirement that purchasers have a FOID and pass a quick validity check - I’m sensitive to what happens to my guns because one I sold years ago to a friend’s son was used in his suicide.

Sell or hold? The money would be useful right now, too. Like I said I don’t want to gouge, but the used market was depressed for so long that I was holding them for conditions to get better.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    The money would be useful right now, too.
    That's probably the deciding factor vs speculation. Depending on what sort of guns they are, you may see movement price wise as politics and current events shift the winds of the market. I doubt we'll see values *fall* any time soon. But if you've got a good use for that money right now, that might be a good reason to sell and deal with whatever that good use is.

I am mulling selling my 9mm P229 and just keeping the .40 version, but I don't have anything I want the money for right now.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

This is a seller's market due to the shortages and record demand. If selling would be a financial boon, this is the perfect market for it with low supply, high demand, and stimulus checks hitting people's bank accounts. I have sold quite a few firearms since March of 2020, plowing most of the proceeds into higher-end pieces and some into an unexpected HVAC repair.

Selling now would also mean moving less items, and that is always a good thing.
    Last edited by farscott; 01-10-2021 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Selling now would also mean moving less items, and that is always a good thing.
    One thing I just realized - less storage space at the new home, too.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I agree with the folks who said, if you can use the money, now is a good time to sell.

Personal situations will vary. I feel like I have most bases covered: a dog walking gun (LCR), a 10 round carry gun (G48) and a USPSA gun (G34.5) That's the only one that may be affected by shenanigans, but who knows. I still have the G19, which I don't have a use for, really. If I could magically transform it into another Glock 48 for training/dry practice, I probably would. I did ask my LGS if they were interested in a trade for a G48; but alas, not only were they not interested, but they could not say when they'd get another G48. But at the end of the day I don't, really, need the money, so in the safe it sits.

When I noticed that my LGS shelves were empty, I put the two Beretta 92's I wasn't using out on consignment. Both sold within a week.

Personally, it was worth the less that 100% return in avoiding the hassle of dealing with potential sellers.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I generally buy guns and ammo to keep and not to sell. There are a couple I've thought about putting on the chopping block (less than sober Gunbroker bids...) but nothing that would net me enough profit to get me to go through the hassle, especially given the catastrophe of shipping right now.

That said if you feel differently and have stuff to unload, now is probably about as good a time as any. I wouldn't wait if you're itching for some cash in your wallet and don't mind the rigamarole.

Id say sell it now for as much as you can get. No shame in turning a profit. I wouldnt do it on the forum but to some unknown buyer, hell yeah. Actually I already did listed them through my favorite LGS, got more than I paid, all I had to do was drop them off then stopped in one day to see what they had in inventory and my check was there ready to go.
    Easy Peasy.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I recently sold some stuff. I didn't make any profit, just moved them for about what I bought them for years ago. I didn't have a use for the money either, just wanted to free up some space and thought it was a good time to do it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I think most gun owners accumulate a fair selection of 'good idea at the time' guns. Derp tier AR's, misc cheap 'almost as good as a Glock' SFA's, kewl looking .22lr look-a-likes of real guns, police trade ins in obsecelesent service calibers like .357 sig or .45gap, and so on. Usually, those are hard to sell at anything but a big loss. However, this is a great time to get rid of those for what you probably paid for them.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List