Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DB and LL are a bad influence, in a good way

I’m not very bright at times. I sold my last two 442’s so I would stop carrying them. But now I find myself needing a good pocket carry option again. I really don’t think there is anything out there that beats a j frame. If there is I don’t know about it. Maybe a Glock 42? J frames just fit pockets better than autos.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    My 2 inch J frames carry effortlessly in an IWB holster. Pocket carry for me is not ideal. Soon I will buy a premium IWB for my LCR. I see it's more prominent sights better. Having both revolvers, I want to point out one problem or issue I have encountered when transitioning from the J to the LCR. This issue when it occurred was shooter error.

All S&W frame sizes use the same rebound or trigger return spring which has 17 coils. This strong spring provides a robust trigger return travel in the J frames. One can ride the trigger forward without short cycling--turning the cylinder but not activating the hammer. The LCR has a weaker trigger return spring. In my case, if not careful, I will ride the trigger and not allow it to reset to the needed position where it will engage the mechanism. Nothin happens when it's pulled and makes the trip rearward.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    My 2 inch J frames carry effortlessly in an IWB holster. Pocket carry for me is not ideal. Soon I will buy a premium IWB for my LCR. I see it's more prominent sights better. Having both revolvers, I want to point out one problem or issue I have encountered when transitioning from the J to the LCR. This issue when it occurred was shooter error.

All S&W frame sizes use the same rebound or trigger return spring which has 17 coils. This strong spring provides a robust trigger return travel in the J frames. One can ride the trigger forward without short cycling--turning the cylinder but not activating the hammer. The LCR has a weaker trigger return spring. In my case, if not careful, I will ride the trigger and not allow it to reset to the needed position where it will engage the mechanism. Nothin happens when it's pulled and makes the trip rearward.

Which is another reason why "ridding the reset" is a scourge.

This time of year I always have an LCR in my coat pocket.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Which is another reason why "ridding the reset" is a scourge.
    I went to a CCW training class. The instructor wanted people to bring semis, so I brought my 9mm Shield. He said I could shoot more accurately if I stopped lifting my finger off the trigger and, essentially, rode the reset. I didn’t tell him that was a bad idea with a revolver, especially a Colt DS. His class, his methods.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I’m not very bright at times. I sold my last two 442’s so I would stop carrying them. But now I find myself needing a good pocket carry option again. I really don’t think there is anything out there that beats a j frame. If there is I don’t know about it. Maybe a Glock 42? J frames just fit pockets better than autos.
    This is why I dont sell guns I even halfway like.

I buy and sell guns with great trepidation. If I like it now, I'll probably like it in 10 years.

the 442 has never been my favorite gun, but it's carried better than anything I've ever owned. Guns aren't exactly iPhones. It I like it for some reason now, odds are slim I'll feel differently in my next decade of life.

DB and LL are a bad influence, in a good way

LCR update. I really like the little thing. It’s a beast with +P carry ammo, but light and highly functional.

Messing around with grips, I picked up a set of Pachmyr Diamond Pro. They fill my hand nicely but are thick and pretty hard. I picked up some Hogue Mono grips but they won’t fit all the way on (odd) and are not much slimmer than the Pachmyrs. They are going back to the store. I’ll try some Hogue G10s and maybe the Bantam, though I’m not certain I will like the shorter purchase on the boot grips.

Concealment Express AIWB holster, with swapped in DCC 1.5” clip and DSG small flat pad. This was a test rig for me before going long term with a JMCK or DSG. I have a leather OWB and pocket option as well.

Hi Viz green FO front sight installed. Love it.

I shot a 75 round session yesterday (w/ the Diamond Pros) and it was a bit painful. I did have R thumb surgery to repair my torn tendon in 2016 so I do have residual scar tissue and sensitivity when thumped. 50 will be a max rd count outing, through more likely 25 per given the ammo crunch until I can start reloading this caliber.

Was able to validate POA/POI on some Gold Dot +P i picked up, fantastic carry round and accuracy was great with the Hi Viz FO.

My only gripe with it is the hitch in the trigger reset. I may have my ‘smith smooth that out a bit.

Essentially, this LCR has become my gateway drug into Revolvers. I drooled over a 4” 686 Plus and 6” GP100 at the LGS yesterday after my range trip.

Question: what are you LCR folks liking for a speed loader? I have been getting along with speed strips but want to experiment with different speed loaders to find what works for me.
    Last edited by kjr_29; 02-14-2021 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post

Question: what are you LCR folks liking for a speed loader? I have been getting along with speed strips but want to experiment with different speed loaders to find what works for me.
    I have yet to find a speedloader that I really like with the LCR: there’s just not much room to work. If you are comfortable with speed strips, there might be something here that is right up your alley:

https://zetasix.com/product/j-clip-r/

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I have yet to find a speedloader that I really like with the LCR: there’s just not much room to work. If you are comfortable with speed strips, there might be something here that is right up your alley:

https://zetasix.com/product/j-clip-r/

Have you used them a lot? I've seen reports of similar designs damaging S&W revolvers in the long term from the leverage exerted peeling the bloc. No personal experience with that design though.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Have you used them a lot? I've seen reports of similar designs damaging S&W revolvers in the long term from the leverage exerted peeling the bloc. No personal experience with that design though.
    I have not. I bought 4 to experiment with, and the conclusion I came to is that the flexible nature of the zeta6 requires enough fiddling to line up that they more or less equal the fiddling it takes to get the HKS to snake past the grip, so I may as well go with the HKS.

They are light and handy though. And you do have to give a solid pull to yank the things loose of all 5 rounds, this is true. Whether that is enough to damage the crane/cylinder is beyond me. I do hold on to the cylinder when I reload, and not the grip frame, so I don’t think I’m in any danger, myself.

As an aside, I’ve always practiced reloading with a full grip on the cylinder, since that is the theoretical lifeline if one has to reload a revolver in extremis. Of course, the last decade of P-F discourse has convinced me that reloading in extremis is a rarity, so I’m not sure it matters.

On a J-frame, if the frame screw keeping the cylinder crane in the gun became loose or worn, and one was inclined to hold the frame during a reload, I could easily see the amount of effort it takes to seat and tear this loader away from the cylinder taking the cylinder out of the gun via the whole crane assembly coming out. I had that happen to one of my Js while using a bore snake, once upon a time, because I hadn’t noticed that the screw holding the crane in had loosened up with use. Good times.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List