Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DB and LL are a bad influence, in a good way

DB and LL are a bad influence, in a good way

Given all the uncertainty of late, I thought having another small option for CCW was warranted. Lots of revolver traffic between @LittleLebowski (also a local CO forum) and updates from DB’s FB page. Drooling over the Wiley Clapp stuff, but wanting small and efficient - better to carry than not.

Purchased up my first revolver yesterday, Ruger LCR in 38spl.

This ought to be fun. Here to read and learn the wheel gun.

Nice choice. Sturdy as hell, a good out of the box trigger, and a replaceable front sight to compensate for differing ammo choices.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Everyone should have at least one lightweight 5-shot revolver, IMO. I very rarely carry my 442 outside of the house these days, but I don't think I'll ever sell it. Especially because the no-locks seem to be less and less common these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Nice choice. Sturdy as hell, a good out of the box trigger, and a replaceable front sight to compensate for differing ammo choices.
    Replaceable sight, holster options and G10 grip options sold me on the platform before I even tried the trigger.

I found this one second hand but hardly used in my LGS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post
    Replaceable sight, holster options and G10 grip options sold me on the platform before I even tried the trigger.

I found this one second hand but hardly used in my LGS.

Nice! That makes it even better!

I have a 9mm LCR with a green Crimson Trace laser grip on it, and am looking for one of the .22 models.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Everyone should have at least one lightweight 5-shot revolver, IMO. I very rarely carry my 442 outside of the house these days, but I don't think I'll ever sell it. Especially because the no-locks seem to be less and less common these days.
    A revolver was a gap in my collection. I will still look hard a the GP100 for backcountry use one day but the small light option was hard to pass on.

Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post
    A revolver was a gap in my collection. I will still look hard a the GP100 for backcountry use one day but the small light option was hard to pass on.

Don't worry, you'll end up with the Gp100 too soon enough That is a gun also on my list, too.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I love my LCR, despite the fact it's...aesthetically challenged. I know not everyone likes the cammed trigger, but I do.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Everyone should have at least one lightweight 5-shot revolver, IMO.
    Not saying you're wrong, your opinion is your opinion, but there are several models out there I wish were 6 shots instead of 5. A good example is the SP101. A 6-shot version in 357 Mag might justify all the weight. A 6-shot LCR in 9mm would also catch my attention, and my money if guns are ever available over the counter again. I'm taken by the idea of the Taurus 856 Ultra Lite but I've yet to hold one in my hands, and the bad rap on Taurus would make it hard to pay for without independent evidence of quality. I hope they are durable, and become available.

Oh, and I have a 642 but I never carry it. Don't have the right kind of pockets (pants).

My $.02 worth,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Not saying you're wrong, your opinion is your opinion, but there are several models out there I wish were 6 shots instead of 5. A good example is the SP101. A 6-shot version in 357 Mag might justify all the weight. A 6-shot LCR in 9mm would also catch my attention, and my money if guns are ever available over the counter again. I'm taken by the idea of the Taurus 856 Ultra Lite but I've yet to hold one in my hands, and the bad rap on Taurus would make it hard to pay for without independent evidence of quality. I hope they are durable, and become available.

Oh, and I have a 642 but I never carry it. Don't have the right kind of pockets (pants).

My $.02 worth,
    Dave
    I don't think I'd call an SP101 lightweight. 5 shots, sure, but I agree it isn't the best pocket carry gun. My 442-2 is significantly lighter than my G43 when both are loaded to capacity, which is why it does well in the pocket. I'd lump the SP101 in with the Model 36. I'd say the guns I am talking about are more the airweight/airlite J frames and the ruger LCR.

I've found that my 442 carries pretty well in some pants that are reasonably slim-fitting (e.g. Carhartt's slacks - not their work pants), but I agree that for most pants/jeans it's not feasible.. That said, usually when I am pocket carrying the 442, it's because I am in pajamas/sweat pants, lounging around the house. They all have pretty deep pockets. A big part of why my 442 has gotten so much mileage this year in particular.

My 442 pretty rarely leaves the house, but when it does, it's usually on trips to the range when I am wearing pants with larger pockets (eg carhartt work trousers), accompanied by a double stack Glock of some kind in a belt holster. That way I am never totally unarmed if I working from my belt holster at the range and my primary CCW pistol is unloaded.

I think these guns have a fairly narrow niche, but I have yet to find another gun that fills it better than they do. I bet there are some .380 autos out there that would work well in this capacity too, but I've never been a fan of the cartridge and have never owned one myself.

User Tag List