Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 20 Gen 4 10mm first outing

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I hear this very frequently, but my personal experience is that it's harder find 40 S&W equivalent 10mm loads than it is to find the "heavy" stuff.
    What’s the measure you’re using? As I understand it the full power loads are the things we get from Underwood, Buffalo Bore, etc.

The stuff I see most places is more of what I consider 40 long. Like these:
    https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pisto...10mm-auto-ammo

That's a good point- where are we drawing these lines?

For me, 40 S&W means subsonic in 180 grain, and high-subsonic/transonic 165 grain. In Power Factor, clearly less than 200. On my (quite small) ammo shelf, my modern stuff consits of PMC 200 grain FMJ @ 1050, 210 PF, Sig 180 grain FMJ @ 1250, 225 PF, Hornady 180 grain XTP @ 1275, 230 PF.

I have few boxes of older hollowpoint ammo from back when, including Winchester 175 grain Slivertips @ 1200, 210 PF and Federal 180 grain Hydra-shok @ 1030, 185 PF.

That last load of Hydra-shok I do consider to be 40-equivalent.

I do like full-power 10mm, in large part because I like shooting bowling pins and it's nice to have "woods pistol". I also like to shoot USPSA, but the big boomers are quite a bit overpowered for use in that application.

Going down the list on the link provided, we have:

Blazer Aluminum, 200 @ 1050, 210 PF

Hornady Hunter, 135 @ 1315, 182 PF

Winchester Silvertip, 174 @ 1200, 210 PF

S&B JHP, 180 @ 1164, 210 PF

Blazer Brass, 180 @ 1200, 216 PF

Federal HST, 200 @ 1130, 226 PF

Armscorp JHP, 180 @ 1008, 181 PF

Privi Partizan JFP, 170 @ 1115, 190 PF

PMC JFP, 170 @ 1200, 204 PF

Hornady XTP, 180 @ 1275, 230 PF

Magtech FMJ, 180 @ 1230, 221 PF

Magtech JHP, 180 @ 1230, 221 PF

Federal Trophy Bonded, 180 @ 1275, 230 PF

Speer Gold Dot JHP, 200 @ 1100, 220 PF

Barnes TAC-XP JHP, 155 @ 1150, 178 PF

Federal AE JFP, 180 @ 1030, 185 PF

Fiocchi FMJ, 180 @ 1275, 230 PF

Winchester FMJ, 180 @ 1080, 194 PF

I'd personally consider anything over 200 PF to be "full power", with <200 PF loads being "40-spec". I'm not trying to say that there are no "40-spec" loads, only that what I find in "local" settings over the last few years has trended very much towards the "full power" stuff. The reviews on the <200 PF loads are amusing in the amount of hate that people are giving to the loads.

I like 10mm, and if I'm not messing around with my 9mm Glocks, it's with 10mm. I like the versatility of the round, and I've had plenty of times where I've gotten good use out of the full power stuff. I also like shooting the 40-spec stuff, it just happens to depend on what I'm doing with the gun & ammo.

Edit to Add: I think that part of the problem comes from velocity measurements not being on the boxes of ammo, and from people using other calibers for their "mid-range" type of shooting. If you only have a 10mm to things like hunt and shoot bowling pins, then I can imagine being upset with the Federal AE or Hydra-shok loads, for example.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    It’s funny that in the revolver world it’s considered a good thing to have a variety of loads of varying power, but when you start looking for info on 10mm on the internets everybody is bitching that they need MOAR POWER, even if a milder load might be a better tool for the job.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Ballistically, 10mm is very close to .357 magnum, so intrinsically it's not that difficult to shoot, as you've discovered. Additionally, the combination of the nested spring recoil assembly, tilting barrel and slide reciprocation absorb a significant portion of the recoil force, as the recoil force is harnessed to achieve their necessary movements. That makes for a softer shooting experience, and the flex inherent to the Glock polymer frame aids further. It's a good pistol/cartridge combination.

A very inexpensive sight switch to achieve a far more durable sight is simply to install a set of Glock steel sights.

The ammunition crunch has had me shooting .40 more than anything else this year, and as far as my Glocks go, in this month's IDPA match I'll be using my Gen4 G22 with a .357 SIG barrel, as .357 SIG, while expensive, was reasonably available while everyone else was seemingly grabbing all the 9mm in sight...

The use of the Glock .357 SIG barrel was drop-in, with no further changes to sights or magazines necessitated. I had thought that it would tend to shoot with a different POI than with the OEM .40 barrel (Glock equips the .357 SIG G31 with a higher rear sight), but at least at close to medium distances it shoots to the same POA/POI. The G22 magazines work just fine with .357 SIG.

Best, Jon
    This is good news. In the massive gun stuff estate buy I did in '19 was a .357 full size factory Glock barrel that will go in the G22 carry case just in case some .357 SIG ammo comes my way in the future..

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    This is good news. In the massive gun stuff estate buy I did in '19 was a .357 full size factory Glock barrel that will go in the G22 carry case just in case some .357 SIG ammo comes my way in the future..
    Just be aware that there may be some constraints; Glock authorizes Glock .357 SIG barrels only subsequent to a specific G22/G23/G27 serial # for each model-I believe this reflects a need for the frame to be both a 3-pin frame and one with the lengthened rear slide rail inserts.

I do not believe that the Glock .357 SIG barrels will work in a Gen5 G22, due to differentiations in the Gen5 G22 locking block configuration (but you're fine with Gen 3 {within the limitations above} and Gen4. Check with Glock if necessary to verify, as the Gen5 G22 came out for general purchase in this country subsequent to my last Glock Armorer certification.

Glock for some time has required purchasers of Glock .357 SIG barrels to provide the serial # of the G22/G23/G27 for which it'll be coupled with prior to them fulfulling orders, presumably for safety-of-use and liability concerns.

Best, Jon

I only carry my G20 in Grizzly country. Here's my ammo:

HST 200 1078fps (215PF)
    Beartooth 200 hardcast 9.0gr 800x 1189fps (238PF)
    Underwood/Lehigh XP 140 1500 FPS (210PF)

I was really glad to find this new Federal HST full power 10mm load.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Just be aware that there may be some constraints; Glock authorizes Glock .357 SIG barrels only subsequent to a specific G22/G23/G27 serial # for each model-I believe this reflects a need for the frame to be both a 3-pin frame and one with the lengthened rear slide rail inserts.

I do not believe that the Glock .357 SIG barrels will work in a Gen5 G22, due to differentiations in the Gen5 G22 locking block configuration (but you're fine with Gen 3 {within the limitations above} and Gen4. Check with Glock if necessary to verify, as the Gen5 G22 came out for general purchase in this country subsequent to my last Glock Armorer certification.

Glock for some time has required purchasers of Glock .357 SIG barrels to provide the serial # of the G22/G23/G27 for which it'll be coupled with prior to them fulfulling orders, presumably for safety-of-use and liability concerns.

Best, Jon
    Mine is a gen 4 police trade in. I will check my Armorer's Manual to ensure everything is OK. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I only carry my G20 in Grizzly country. Here's my ammo:

HST 200 1078fps (215PF)
    Beartooth 200 hardcast 9.0gr 800x 1189fps (238PF)
    Underwood/Lehigh XP 140 1500 FPS (210PF)

I was really glad to find this new Federal HST full power 10mm load.
    Regarding black bears, conversations that I've had on p-f and with others indicate that most duty service cartridges recommend by DocGKR would likely be sufficient. My thoughts on cartridge sufficiency regarding larger/more aggressive brown and grizzly bears may require (or strongly advise) a deeper penetrating cartridge/bullet combination, as opposed to reliance on power factor per se.

Based on GJM's discussions and experiences, I'd be much more inclined to carry and depend on Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators as opposed to HSTs (or similar) in brown/grizzly country. Hopefully GJM himself (and others) with some actual empirical experience will chime in here.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Mine is a gen 4 police trade in. I will check my Armorer's Manual to ensure everything is OK. Thanks!
    Mine is a Gen4 G22, too. You should be de facto fine with any Gen4 G22, but just as a precaution, you might want to touch bases with Glock Tech Support with the barrel serial # to verify that the barrel is ok, just in case there were any locking block it was designed to be used with that might not be compatible with your Gen4 G22's locking block-offhand, I can't think of any, but it should just take a simple phone call to verify.

Best, Jon

Regarding black bears, conversations that I've had on p-f and with others indicate that most duty service cartridges recommend by DocGKR would likely be sufficient. My thoughts on cartridge sufficiency regarding larger/more aggressive brown and grizzly bears may require (or strongly advise) a deeper penetrating cartridge/bullet combination, as opposed to reliance on power factor per se.

Based on GJM's discussions and experiences, I'd be much more inclined to carry and depend on Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators as opposed to HSTs (or similar) in brown/grizzly country. Hopefully GJM himself (and others) with some actual empirical experience will chime in here.

Best, Jon
    Agree. I should have mentioned that the HST is reserved for in-town carry.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List