Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 20 Gen 4 10mm first outing

Glock 20 Gen 4 10mm first outing

So in this age of ammo shortages, and about anything else firearm related, I have thought about a response to this madness. First of all, I don't reload. I have regretted that from time to time over my lifetime. One option to deal with shortages of 9/40/45 pistol ammo is to expand my caliber selection. So that's what I did.

About 2 months ago, I purchased the Glock 20 referenced above. Today I took it out to the range just long enough to shoot 50 rounds. Just wanted to make sure it we bang.

I shot Magtech 180 grain JHP. The "20" performed 100%. Ejection was strong and no brass to the face. I have never shot a 10mm before today. I was expecting a fierce recoil based on opinions I've read over the years. Recoil is very controlled.
    Perhaps that dual spring recoil assembly is the reason. The grip texture is great, like my Gen 5 17. The standard plastic sights will be replaced at some point. The slide to frame fit is solid. I've had my eye on a Gen 4 10mm for a while.

I am satisfied with my new Glock. Looking forward to my next outing with my new 10mm.

Site Supporter
    Glad you like it! I was using Sig 180FMJ in my G40 and when I couldn't find anymore I switched to the new Blazer Brass 10mm loading. The Blazer Brass worked very well and was cheap when I bought it back in the spring. If you run out of 10mm your G20 will eat .40 S&W without changing anything, (not Glock approved). I have a second G40 Factory barrel I use so I don't have to worry about cleaning it out with .40.

Ballistically, 10mm is very close to .357 magnum, so intrinsically it's not that difficult to shoot, as you've discovered. Additionally, the combination of the nested spring recoil assembly, tilting barrel and slide reciprocation absorb a significant portion of the recoil force, as the recoil force is harnessed to achieve their necessary movements. That makes for a softer shooting experience, and the flex inherent to the Glock polymer frame aids further. It's a good pistol/cartridge combination.

A very inexpensive sight switch to achieve a far more durable sight is simply to install a set of Glock steel sights.

The ammunition crunch has had me shooting .40 more than anything else this year, and as far as my Glocks go, in this month's IDPA match I'll be using my Gen4 G22 with a .357 SIG barrel, as .357 SIG, while expensive, was reasonably available while everyone else was seemingly grabbing all the 9mm in sight...

The use of the Glock .357 SIG barrel was drop-in, with no further changes to sights or magazines necessitated. I had thought that it would tend to shoot with a different POI than with the OEM .40 barrel (Glock equips the .357 SIG G31 with a higher rear sight), but at least at close to medium distances it shoots to the same POA/POI. The G22 magazines work just fine with .357 SIG.

Best, Jon

The G20 is a ton of fun to shoot but recoils pretty hard once you get to max loadings like 200-220 gr underwood hardcast

The 10mm recoil is highly exaggerated. It is quite manageable, even with spicy handloads.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I have never shot a 10mm before today. I was expecting a fierce recoil based on opinions I've read over the years. Recoil is very controlled.

I'm not a particularly large fellow, and I don't have any issues with the recoil of either my Glock 20, or Sig p220 10mm.

As pastaslinger said, recoil is more of a thing with full power loads. My G40 is my woods gun. For that mission I use either Underwood 140gr Extreme Pemetrators or Federal Trophy bonded 180gr.

Most 10mm ammo for sale most places is loaded to 40s&w levels (which is how we got the 40 caliber in the first place).

Glad you’re enjoying the gun! The Gen 4 dimensions make the G20/21 much more user friendly in my experience.

Add me to the list of those who really doesn't see an issue with recoil in the G20 - even with full power loads. Of course its all perception though.

According to the specs, the 180 Magtech 10 is 1,164 fps vs 990 fps for the Magtech 40 S&W 180 grain, or about 17.5 percent more velocity. The Glock 20 weighs 30.69 ounces vs 25.57 ounces for the Glock 22, or 20 percent more. All things considered, wouldn’t we expect the 10 mm Magtech load to feel like less recoil than the 180?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post

Most 10mm ammo for sale most places is loaded to 40s&w levels (which is how we got the 40 caliber in the first place).
    I hear this very frequently, but my personal experience is that it's harder find 40 S&W equivalent 10mm loads than it is to find the "heavy" stuff.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List