Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did you see in the gun store?

Site Supporter

What did you see in the gun store?

There is a thread on what did you shoot today. I thought a thread on what did you see in the gun store might be interesting.

So - Cabelas:

No handguns except their black powder and in the library a SW Model 10m, a longed barreled 686, some old High Standard 22s. Some long barreled shotguns and used bolt guns. No pistol ammo except 25 ACP. Some boxes of 5.56 Winchester 62 gr for 150 rounds at $79. Lots of birdshot and misc. rifle rounds.

LGS - some sporting shotguns. Handguns: Some Ruger Bearcats, the new Cheap Ruger 22s revolvers, some old 380s. One 1911 that some dude was looking act. Confused about the safety and the clerk said he carried his with the safety off because he wanted the gun to be ready.

They had a nice old fashioned candy counter though.

My LGS is well stocked with handguns, including many Glock, including MOS and Gen 5, and 1911 models. Saw some XD and Canik pieces. No HK although that is not unusual. A fair amount of rimfire handguns. The rifle and shotgun selection was limited. Very few semi-auto rifles, very few .22, some O/U shotguns. Basically no pump or semi-auto shotguns. There were some higher end (for this region) pieces, including a .308 Remington 700 with the 5-R barrel, a #1 Ruger in .243, and some nice Henry lever actions. My guess is the store has less than thirty percent of the normal inventory level.

Ammo, on the other hand, was extremely limited, perhaps five percent of usual. Basically no handgun or centerfire rifle ammo other than 7mm Remington Magnum and .300 Winchester Magnum. Very little rimfire. Staples like .243, .270, .and .30-'06 are not available. Not a single round of hunting ammo in ANY chambering. I bet that .308 Remington 700 would sell if there was a box of ammo to go with it. But no ammo so the rifle is useless. So it sits. Same with the Glocks.

I actually went back and sold four cases of ammo to the LGS to help them get through this. My concern is they go under as there is nothing to sell. Nothing to sell means no income. No income means "out of business". I know it is bad as the owner asked me to name my price for the ammo, said he would buy any and all ammo I wanted to sell, and would not negotiate. He paid me more than I asked. Of course, I spent some in his store.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Would take me a minute to remember the last time I went into a brick and mortar gun store....

Have done all of my transfers since 2017 through a tabletop, bought online. Not really in the market for new firearms aaaaanytime soon.

Student
    From the Scottsdale Gun Club's weekly e-flyer yesterday.
    Name:  Screenshot_20210109-181532_Gmail.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  33.3 KB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Local blue label had a Glock 17, 43x, 19, 26, and maybe a few more. I'm on the wait list for a 43x MOS and almost jumped on the 43.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Went into the closest local shop last week- these are the folks that had an olive-drab Beretta 1301T (V 1.5 - current action update, probably with fixed choke) for slightly under MSRP.

Nothing much in pistols, still very slim-to-none on pistol ammo, no 5.56 cartridges, and only hunting grade Federal Buckshot for 12 gauge.
    They did however have this in the rare & collectible case:

Name:  IMG_20210102_111532541.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  64.2 KB

2nd year production Registered Magnum in really fine shape, for an equally fine price.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    I saw a Hakim for the first time in person the other day at mine. Longer than I'd expected. Also I believe an FN-49 but the tag was facing backwards, I was in a hurry and didn't get to yack about it. Most of what he's got at this point look like consignments. Which are actually interesting. One Glock looks like another XD to me, but I did also notice a Ruger Mark IV Lite which has been in the case for months; surprised it hasn't sold. Either that or he has a bunch of those the same color and just keeps putting one in the case at a time.

Well, I bought a HK SP5 today from my buddies LGS.... So now I'm shopping RTG parts and HK parts for all the right pieces to make it perfect, plus filling out the form 1 so it can become a SBR... Traded into a SIG SAN imports SG 553 P in .300 Blkout yesterday, Cost me a spare CZ Shadow and a Pile of tac gear I wasn't using anymore, so it's got a stock inbound and is getting its form done up as well...

I bought Pat Rogers old Springfield 1922 trainer rifle from All Shooters Tactical late last month while I was up north for Christmas, I'm real happy I got that as I have been questing after one of those for a bit and I still miss talking with Pat, so that makes it extra special to me at least.... I also picked up a Warren Tactical Springer 1911 at the same time so all in all it's been a expensive month of not quite planned gun purchases....

I'm set for fighting guns so right now I'm kinda in a buy anything cool I run across that I might regret not getting if another ban ever goes into effect phase..... God forbid.

My buddies shop is in good with the distributors, so he has been able to keep inventory coming in, but it costs more and he pretty much has to take what the distributors have in stock. You can't say no or they won't call you the next day and ask what you need.... Small shops with little purchasing power are going to be decimated by this if it lasts much longer, which is likely, sad to say.
    Last edited by rcbusmc24; 01-09-2021 at 09:54 PM.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Much the same here, but I did find one thing interesting. My LGS has multiple and various cheap knockoffs of Sig, CZ, and Beretta pistols from a slew of European makers I’ve never heard of. We’re talking $300-400 price range, even in this economy. A clerk explained that these are things they’ve always had access to through their distributor lines but never brought in until now, when the things people actually want just aren’t available. It means they at least have something for the new buyer who just wants something in 9mm and wants it now. They’ve been selling, too, since it’s always a slightly different group when I go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Would take me a minute to remember the last time I went into a brick and mortar gun store....

Have done all of my transfers since 2017 through a tabletop, bought online. Not really in the market for new firearms aaaaanytime soon.
    My FFL lives about 2 minutes away. He's an old dude and table top FFL who has been in business for 30 years. If he can't get it I don't need it. Nice to have friends you can trust. LGS is sold out anyway. No need to stand in line to be told it isn't available. He has my phone and email. That's how we roll. He got me a P-30 when nobody else had one.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-09-2021 at 10:36 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List