Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody with experience flying into Boston Logan with a handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I'm flown into BOS many times with a checked handgun and I can't see who would be there that cares. Then it's a quick drive to NH. It's at check-in where anyone actually would care and I've never been questioned there either.

It's been at least 3 years for me, although before that several times since 2008.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    My concern here is that I’ll be flying out through MDW. All it takes is a bag flag during checking there and I’m screwed on the other end.

I think it’s safer to just wait until the next time I drive. I might even drive again this time if Covid keeps heating up.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by karandom View Post

You are potentially covered on Federal law on the transportation of firearms, but that hasn't helped in other states:
    https://www.nationalreview.com/2014/...les-c-w-cooke/

I would avoid it even if its technically legal under Federal law, unless someone has better direct experience.
    The link is to NY/NJ where they definitely have PAPD come question me after I declare at check in. Although I know they lost a big court case and no longer arrest people just for transiting through...

That said I have flown into most major airports on the coasts with a checked firearm multiple times and nobody cares. It has even been getting easier and easier over the years with the gate agents much better informed about the process.

Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My concern here is that I’ll be flying out through MDW. All it takes is a bag flag during checking there and I’m screwed on the other end.

I think it’s safer to just wait until the next time I drive. I might even drive again this time if Covid keeps heating up.
    Absolutely your call but your bag is going to be flagged regardless at check in because you need to declare your gun at check in and likely require claiming at the baggage office. My point is that nobody at BOS cares except the airline that wants YOU to get your bag.

To me this sounds more like an excuse to buy a new toy! https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state...new-hampshire/

Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Look into what is legally required to mail it to yourself. It will be cheaper and far, far safer.
    First of all it's ship, not mail. A non-FFL cannot legally use the USPS to mail a handgun. It's only legal for a non-licensee to use a common carrier like UPS or Fedex to ship a handgun. Shipping a handgun to yourself isn't really possible to do legally either, because both UPS and Fedex have policies that they don't ship firearms unless either the sender or recipient has an FFL. Also, 18 USC 922(e) requires that if someone is shipping a firearm to someone not an FFL (even to themselves) that they declare the firearm in writing to the common carrier. Since neither allow that, you can't do it legally. The OP said he's still an Illinois resident, so he could ship it back to an Illinois FFL and then pick it up there.

However, it does appear that he could legally transport it through Massachusetts. This page pointed me to Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140 Section 131G which says:

Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.
    So as long as the OP is planning on shooting a USPSA or IDPA match or going to a gun show or something in IL, it appears he's OK to transport his handgun through Massachusetts.

Food for thought. I figure a five shot J would be the least likely handgun I own to cause problems and also that I am willing to risk - meaning no on my 3” 64, for instance.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I've only been into & out of Boston-Logan once and that was in '16. Zero issues either way with two semi-autos, one of which had two standard capacity magazines for it. Flying out, no questions about them beyond what I get asked at most airports - no questions about L/E ID.

Paying attention to this because I've got to go back to CT for business and I'll be lugging several handguns with me on that trip. Trying to decide if I'll go through Boston-Logan or Hartford.

I've flow into and out of Logan with firearms about a dozen times, sometimes in cases that are clearly firearm cases. I've always had a valid MA CCW but have never been asked to show it. I've never heard of anyone else in the shooting community being asked to show it, either.

It is not New York; they see a surprising amount of guns. Personally, I've had more trouble with airline employees in southern states than in KBOS.

That said, if you get unlucky and do get asked to show ID, you may have a bad day, because the enforcement of gun laws in MA is unpredictable. I would not do it, if I were you, but it is not a sure thing like NYC.

I’ve decided that I am likely to drive this trip after all - mostly due to not wanting to expose myself to people before I’m home with our immunocompromised kids. Thanks for the input, all!
    Ken

Nevermind, didn't see the last post.

User Tag List