Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody with experience flying into Boston Logan with a handgun?

Anybody with experience flying into Boston Logan with a handgun?

I’ve decided to leave a defensive handgun in New Hampshire - like an idiot I didn’t do it the last two trips when I drove, and now my next trip is by air into Logan. (Manchester flights have been cut way back and cost a lot more.)

What can I expect traveling through Logan and right out of the state with a J frame in a lockbox and a box of ammunition? I do *not* have a MA nonres CCW, and am still an IL resident with a FCCL until I sell the IL house, am in NH full time and officially change residency. I am not LE.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

That's a felony in Massachussetts, IIRC. You must have a permit to possess a weapon in MA at all, full stop. I wouldn't count on FOPA to get you through the airport.

"Thar be dragons".

Any chance you can just fly into Manchester or Burlington instead? Is it really prohibitively expensive when weighed against the risks? Must it be Logan?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Look into what is legally required to mail it to yourself. It will be cheaper and far, far safer.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

MA resident here, but not familiar with flying with guns into Logan. I would caution against it. You are legally supposed to have an LTC to be in possession of pistols in MA.

You are potentially covered on Federal law on the transportation of firearms, but that hasn't helped in other states:
    https://www.nationalreview.com/2014/...les-c-w-cooke/

I would avoid it even if its technically legal under Federal law, unless someone has better direct experience.

TGS is sound about MHT. I fly there or P-town by preference when headed that way, even if it’s a connect.
    Ignore Alien Orders

MHT is by far my choice - it’s only fifteen minutes from home and much more relaxing. But we are talking severely limited flights compared to before Covid, and four times the cost.

Ok, I think I’ll hold off until the next time I drive. This sounds like how people were treated in pre-FCCL Illinois. Thanks for the reality check!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

A moderate inconvenience/cost (either drive it or ship it FFL to FFL) can save you a sh*t-ton of grief.

Would you check bags otherwise?
    Giving something to an FFL to ship probably costs total less than $100. Checked bags cost $25-$35. Sounds like a rounding error.

I'm flown into BOS many times with a checked handgun and I can't see who would be there that cares. Then it's a quick drive to NH. It's at check-in where anyone actually would care and I've never been questioned there either.

It's been at least 3 years for me, although before that several times since 2008.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Would you check bags otherwise?
    Giving something to an FFL to ship probably costs total less than $100. Checked bags cost $25-$35. Sounds like a rounding error.
    SWA, baby. Two bags free.
    Ken

User Tag List