Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 406: Rangemaster Baseline Skills Assessment Drill

Week 406: Rangemaster Baseline Skills Assessment Drill

Week 406: Rangemaster Baseline Skills Assessment Drill

Results may be posted until February 9th, 2021.

Designed by: Tom Givens
    Range: 5-10 yards
    Target: B-8 repair center, FBI-IP-1 bullseye, or the bullseye on an LTT-1 target; you can download a B8 Repair Center here: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1322428748
    Start position: See below
    Rounds fired: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    I designed this drill to accomplish a couple of goals. First, I wanted a short, low round count practice drill for times like these with an ammo drought. Second, I wanted to be able to get a solid status check on personal skill level, measuring most of the relevant skills but in a short amount of time and very little ammo. This drill does both things fairly well. The goal is a perfect 200 under the time limits. This drill is intended to be shot cold, from concealed carry.
    String 1: 5 yards - Draw and fire 5 rounds in 5 seconds, using both hands.
    String 2: 5 yards - Start gun in hand, at Ready, in dominant hand only. Fire 3 rounds in 3 seconds.
    String 3: 5 yards - Start gun in hand, at Ready, in non-dominant hand only. Fire 2 rounds in 3 seconds.
    String 4: 7 yards - Start gun in hand, loaded with 3 rounds only. Fire 3 rounds, conduct an empty gun reload, and fire 3 more rounds, all in 10 seconds.
    String 5: 10 yards - Start gun in hand, at Ready. Fire 4 rounds in 4 seconds.

Total the points using the scoring zones as printed on the target. Overtime shots count as zero points.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol, holster, and concealment used
    Total points out of the possible 200
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I like this drill.

Name:  121E286A-749E-4D17-8DBF-6685F8C3C383.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  74.7 KB
    CZ TSO

Name:  0EE81491-6F16-4495-BE83-190BA44CE775.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  71.8 KB
    Sig P365

Noticed that again, larger guns with light triggers are easier to shoot.

I like running these drills with my competition and carry gun back to back.

Definitely give up performance for carry convenience, but try and train to meet objective standards!

Name:  PXL_20201219_205017496.MP.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  36.5 KB

Ran this a bit ago and then broke it down into individual strings and used that as my practice session.
    Sorry about the ragged holes, I didn't shoot it on a clean backer board.

Name:  RM Baseline Skills Dec 2020.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  35.7 KB

Ok, I'll play.
    I just did this drill recently as it was the Rangemaster 'Drill of the Month' from Tom's newsletter. Ran a Gen 3 G19 with XS Big Dot sights and shot Wolf steel 115gr FMJ. 198/200. I made all the times, and probably should have taken a bit more at the last stage as that's where I put a couple into the 9 ring.

I shot this one at each of my last two range sessions of December 2020, both times with the PX4CC in a JMCK IWB3.

First session was a 188.

Second session would have been a 191, but my first draw was glacial and the last shot was .21 overtime, so it ended up as 181.

Site Supporter
    I finally managed to shoot this one clean, 200.

Glock 17, Boresight Solutions custom, iron sights
    JMCK IWB #3
    worn under fishing shirt, untucked
    Speer Lawman 124 grain ball

Site Supporter
    My friend and master trainer Dave Spaulding and I were discussing the Baseline Assessment Drill. Dave suggested shooting the drill, but substituting a 3X5 card for the B-8 bullseye. Obviously, this would be quite a challenge.

Intrigued, I went by the range today. I first shot the drill cold on a B-8, scoring 197. I’ll take that cold. I then put 3X5 labels on two used bullseyes and tried Dave’s suggestion. I got 18 hits out of 20 the first time, and 19 hits the second run. The one round I dropped was the second shot of the non-dominant hand string, which went high. I knew it while the bullet was still going down the barrel. This is hard. Give it a try.

My friend and master trainer Dave Spaulding and I were discussing the Baseline Assessment Drill. Dave suggested shooting the drill, but substituting a 3X5 card for the B-8 bullseye. Obviously, this would be quite a challenge.

Intrigued, I went by the range today. I first shot the drill cold on a B-8, scoring 197. I’ll take that cold. I then put 3X5 labels on two used bullseyes and tried Dave’s suggestion. I got 18 hits out of 20 the first time, and 19 hits the second run. The one round I dropped was the second shot of the non-dominant hand string, which went high. I knew it while the bullet was still going down the barrel. This is hard. Give it a try.
    Do you think it’d be better to orient it vertically or horizontally and why?

I was thinking you had us run this, or a variant, on a 3x5 at a class I took (Hearne/Higginbotham/Givens Indiana 2016). Perhaps it was a variant or another drill.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Do you think it’d be better to orient it vertically or horizontally and why?
    Out of habit, I orient the card vertically. It's even harder if oriented horizontally, as elevation errors are usually larger than windage deviation.

User Tag List