Thread: AR15 Armorer Tools

AR15 Armorer Tools

I thought I might post this in hopes of helping others. I’m not an Armorer instructor like @Wayne Dobbs but I have completed Will Larson’s Semper Paratus twice. I also worked 15 years in a large Atlanta Metro shop + range, so I’ve seen a lot of good, bad, and ugly. I’m not posting every tool I own and there are special cases that call for special tools, but for the majority of AR work, these are the tools I’ve used for years with success.

Here is what I use for lower receiver assembly:
    Name:  392836B0-2EAD-4004-9806-C1C2BE933A58.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  73.0 KB

It’s fairly simple and straightforward: Brownells 1oz hammer, Starret drift punches, Grace roll pin punches, Brownells bolt catch roll pin punch, pivot pin detent installation tool (don’t remember who makes this one), delrin punch I use to depress the magazine button while installing the magazine catch, #1 square bit driver that makes beautiful square stakes, Hammerhead Rifle Tool for castle nut installation, and Tony’s Custom Uppers castle nut wrench (useful for endplates with big sling loops that won’t let the hammerhead seat, like the IKH or Magpul ASAP).

Here is what I use for upper receiver assembly:
    Name:  DAEE68D0-873C-44DC-BFA5-E1AD51048144.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  77.5 KB

Torque wrench for barrel nuts (I also use it for castle nuts on the lower, just forgot to include it in that pic), breaker bar for loosening barrel nuts, larger hammer and block for FSB/gas block taper pins, PRI and Geissele barrel nut wrenches. The PRI is my favorite for USGI nuts, but it requires removal of the FSB. If not doing that as part of the procedure, I use the Geissele wrench. Geissele Reaction Rod, Geissele gas tube roll pin holder, snap ring pliers for delta ring, Mark Brown Customs gas tube wrench (used when removing stuck carbonized tubes), and a PRI upper receiver block that sucks for barreling uppers, but is useful for holding uppers while installing forward assists.

Here’s the whole getup:

Name:  05E20748-B19B-4265-BD74-598991D99B94.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  81.5 KB

And the box I carry:

Name:  30CC592B-25AD-4284-9D1C-90081435BC0C.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  65.6 KB
    Name:  E568C148-1236-4C2D-A35D-FA719EAC52CD.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  81.8 KB
    Name:  C7370F01-9F31-429C-8747-BDF008027826.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  82.2 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

A couple different manufacturers make blocks to hold USGI FSBs in place, but I haven't found a good solution for holding a low profile gas block on it's side to where it's easy to drive in the gas block roll pin and the gas tube roll pin. What's your solution?

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    A couple different manufacturers make blocks to hold USGI FSBs in place, but I haven't found a good solution for holding a low profile gas block on it's side to where it's easy to drive in the gas block roll pin and the gas tube roll pin. What's your solution?
    I actually don’t even have one of those blocks. The gray block I have came from my M&P Armorer’s course. It’s not specific to anything, just has a series of grooves and holes on both sides that can be useful. When I’m pinning a low profile block I leave it in the jig while driving the pin. Holds it all nicely in place. I’ve done a couple Geissele blocks free hand and in that case I clamped the block straight into the vise with non-marring inserts.

Mostly, though, I prefer to used barrels with FSB’s and shave them. Hard to beat dual taper pins.

Name:  5115B0D4-0FA3-4D2F-A5D8-A1870BB5093F.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  29.5 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I normally use a smooth face vise jaws but I have been meaning to pick one of these up.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List