Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handgun weight and capacity w/ reloads

Handgun weight and capacity w/ reloads

I posted this over at the 'Fire as well but figured it might be of more interest here.

Just for informational purposes.

I figured I would post some pics to show what some guns weigh with a magazine loaded, as well as with a spare magazine for some of them.

Standard 1911 with 8+1 of 230 grain ammo: 2 pounds 14.5 ounces

1911 with spare 8 round magazine. 3 pounds 6.5 ounces.

Glock 30S with 10+1

Trying to match the loaded 1911 with a spare 8 round magazine (total capacity 17), the G30s ended up with with two extra magazines and 34 rounds of 230 grain ammo carried:

This is not a "which one is better, more shootable" etc.

Just information for the sake of information.

CHEERS!

Glock 19.3 with 16 rounds of 124 grain ammo.

1#14.2 Ounces

G19.3 loaded with a spare G17 magazine, for a total of 33 rounds.

2#s 8.5 ounces.

G19.3 loaded using a 24 round mag as a reload, for 40 rounds total.

2#2 12.5 ounces

The original CCW Model 19:

This being the PF community, feel free to join in with submitting your own information.

If anything we need a break from the Doom and Gloom of the past days events.

CZ 75 with 16+1 if 148 grain ammo.

2#s 12 OZ

I wish I had a scale in my back pocket the day I was at the range with a buddy. He was shooting his M&P 45 and asked to feel my Lightweight Commander (45). Granted his M&P was holding 2 more rounds of 230 grain .45 ACP 10+1 v. 8+1 but he was amazed at how my 1911 felt lighter than his polymer pistol. I did a how it feels in the hand comparison and agreed with his perception. Just on visual inspection the slide on a M&P 45 appeared to have more mass than the 1911 and the frames AL v. polymer may not have been much different.

I found it interesting that these two were roughly the same, though the CZ was loaded with 148 grain ammo and the G19.3 was loaded with 124s.

17 rounds vs 40 rounds.

Excellent thread.

I have been swapping carry guns for the last 24 months in a search to find "the" one. In so doing, As part of my evaluation of what's "best", I began looking at the weight I had to carry, vs. how many rounds I got. In other words, how many X ounces (penalty) do you pay to carry Y rounds (benefit)? Looking at the ratio, the optimum turned out to be the Glock 19:

Name:  Screenshot from 2021-01-08 10-33-04.png
Views: 1100
Size:  28.5 KB

This is a really great thread. Lots of information.

When I get some time, I need to measure pistol thickness. Even though the 1911 weighs much more than a G17.3 with the grip frame chopped to G26.3 length, the 1911 is much more comfortable all day. That is with both pistols carried in Sparks VM-2 holsters on the same general spot on the belt. The 1911 grip frame is thinner, making it more comfortable. I suffer less fatigue from all day carry with the 1911 than with either the chopped G17.3 or a P30 in a VM-2.

Medium frame Ruger Flattop. 45 caliber convertible.

These normally come with a stainless steel grip frame. I replaced mine with an aluminum one.

Edit to add 4 & 5/8ths " barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    This is a really great thread. Lots of information.

When I get some time, I need to measure pistol thickness. Even though the 1911 weighs much more than a G17.3 with the grip frame chopped to G26.3 length, the 1911 is much more comfortable all day. That is with both pistols carried in Sparks VM-2 holsters on the same general spot on the belt. The 1911 grip frame is thinner, making it more comfortable. I suffer less fatigue from all day carry with the 1911 than with either the chopped G17.3 or a P30 in a VM-2.
    I’ve mentioned it elsewhere but I’ll repeat it here because it’s relevant - agreed, based on comparing a Walther P99 with 15+1 and a 17rd reload to a steel 9mm commander with 9+1 and two 9rd reloads. It’s more in terms of weight and number of items but feels like less due t being thin.

I should do some more specific weight comparisons on those two setups.

User Tag List