Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Consensus on Glock extended basepads?

Site Supporter
    I use the factory +2 mags on my work pistol (G17.5) and have found them reliable and durable. Some of my co workers opt for the Taran or Zev extensions, partly for capacity, partly for the extra purchase when pulling them from flapped pouches on kit, particularly when wearing gloves.

As an aside, does anyone know if Glock is still making the black factory G17 +2 mags? I can only ever find the tan ones when I look online.
    Polite Professional

PDSgt...Call your Glock LE Rep, I just ordered the Black 17 w +2 mags off our contract for use at work. If he can’t take care of you I’ll swap you some black ones for tan ones. I like the factory +2 for general use, I have the TTI +5 for match use. Never had problems with either but I’m fairly new to the Glock platform.

I've had good experience with OEM magazines with the +2 basepad. Just remember that the +2 basepad should be accompanied by the OEM 11 coil magazine spring.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I just stick with the OEM "normal capacity" magazines; if I feel the need for more ammunition on hand than one magazine in the gun and 2 reload magazines provides, I prefer simply to add a 3rd reload magazine than dabble with potentially problematic add-ons.

Best, Jon

I've had good luck with Taran and OEM extensions. I've used both, a lot, and haven't had a failure from either. Beyond standard USPSA use I've run 12+ biathlons using both. They've taken some hard hits while running through obstacles and haven't popped off yet

Anecdotally some have said various revisions of Glock mags have more or less engagement with the baseplate. All of mine are on older Gen3 and Gen4 mags.

I've had far better service from OEM and Taran extensions than Magpul or ETS 21 rd mags. ETS is literal junk, and Magpuls have a short lifecycle IME.

The OEM 24 rd is a great option(and vastly more cost effective) if it fits the rules of your game.

ETA: the Taran extensions I've used are the smaller +4/3 type. Ive used them on both 17 and 15 rd mags.

TTI, Taylor Freelance and ZEV experience here. The TF I have are brass and I had several instances of them unseating in recoil under their weight. I think this was with aftermarket mag releases. I wouldn't use those weighted types for anything other than games but others I wouldn't have much concern about.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    PDSgt...Call your Glock LE Rep, I just ordered the Black 17 w +2 mags off our contract for use at work. If he can’t take care of you I’ll swap you some black ones for tan ones. I like the factory +2 for general use, I have the TTI +5 for match use. Never had problems with either but I’m fairly new to the Glock platform.
    Thank you for the kind offer. If I can’t get them through the rep I may very well take you up on it.

Unfortunately, got hit with the Covid here so it will be a minute before I am sending anything to anyone lol.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    Thank you for the kind offer. If I can’t get them through the rep I may very well take you up on it.

Unfortunately, got hit with the Covid here so it will be a minute before I am sending anything to anyone lol.
    Get better soon, @PD Sgt.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I have used the TT extensions on a G43. They were structurally stable. Mag function was spring dependent but that is another matter that has been discussed in other threads. The only other extensions I’ve used have been the +2 OEM and their use has been limited to G26. They too have remained structurally sound. FWIW, for my G26 (Gen 2.5/3) I really liked the feel of the Magpul 12 round mags. The were stone reliable over several thousand rounds. Now that I’m using a G26 (Gen 5) I’m back to OEM +2s. They are only at about the 1k mark but I trust them to stay attached to the mag tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    The only other extensions I’ve used have been the +2 OEM and their use has been limited to G26. They too have remained structurally sound. FWIW, for my G26 (Gen 2.5/3) I really liked the feel of the Magpul 12 round mags. The were stone reliable over several thousand rounds. Now that I’m using a G26 (Gen 5) I’m back to OEM +2s. They are only at about the 1k mark but I trust them to stay attached to the mag tube.
    Exactly my experience...and approach.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List