Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should a lefty shooter even consiider a Sig??

Should a lefty shooter even consiider a Sig??

I am a lefty shooter and for years have been intrigued with the Sig P229 or P226. Even though I have my heart set on a polymer striker fired 9mm for my next purchase, I would consider the Sig. Are there any lefties here who own Sigs and love
    them and have no issues, or should I just move on from Sigs all together as a lefty?

Thanks

Intriqued.

What would preclude you buying a Sig as a lefty?

Its completely non ambidextrous! Its seems to always been said that Sigs are "not left handed friendly."
    Last edited by urbantitanium; 10-20-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Hmmmm...ok, don't own a Sig, but am a lefty.

This is for a P320C, which I looked at this spring before buying my VP9.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ry-nitron-9mm/

The mag release is reversible. For me, it's a non-issue as I eject a mag with middle finger of my shooting hand on my M&P FS9 anyway. (My hands are small).

I also rack the slide overhand every time, as opposed to dropping the slide with the release/stop. I think most SMEs just use the release/stop. But I've always done it that way.

I'll be interested in more opinions, though, as I've only been shooting since 2013.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-20-2015 at 11:01 AM.

As a lefty I have no issues with Sigs. I use my left index finger to operate the mag release. As for releasing the slide at slide lock there are multiple ways to do it: 1. Come over the top and rack the slide, 2. Roll the gun to the left as the mag is seated and pinch the front of the slide with your right index finger and thumb and release the slide, 3. My favorite, as you seat the magazine roll your right hand slightly to the left and your right index finger will be right next to the slide release and you can simply depress it with your right index finger, this method needs to be worked in dry fire a little to get it down but once you do you will not give up anything to the righties. I use either my left index finger or right thumb to operate the decocker.

Keep in mind there is one big advantage, you can grip the gun as high and as hard as you want and there is 0 chance to prematurely either lock the slide or drop the slide. This is a common complaint I hear from right handed shooters.
    Last edited by jamautry; 10-20-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Is the mag release bottom reversible on the p226 and 229?

I believe they are but I have never tried it.

Consider this I am a lefty but I decided to shoot handguns righty when I was 23 years old. One week of formal training completed the transition. I shoot equally well either way, long arms or handguns.

I'm a lefty, don't own one but have shot them enough to say that you should not have a problem. Think it is an advantage because so many righties ride the slide release.

I'm right-minded and have shot Sig handguns for years. I recently transitioned our department to the Sig P226/200. I love the new SRT trigger and E2 grips. In my mind that made Sig a player again. The 320s seem to be awfully sweet and I will be purchasing one of them in the future.

I've found the best way to utilize the mag release is with the trigger finger or inside middle knuckle. The requires very little if any grip adjustment for most shooters.

Releasing the slide can be done by slingshoting or as stated previously rolling the support hand under the gun and releasing it with the fingers of the support hand. You just need to find what works for you.

In my mind the accuracy and srt trigger make the little inconvenience well worth the while. My guys and gals couldn't be happier with our new issue weapon.
    "Gettin' everybody to love me is a full time job..." - Kenny Powers

User Tag List