Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Grand Cherokee release

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @BehindBlueI's

A man like you who don't need no stinkin' air suspension needs to get yourself an XJ-chassis Cherokee before they go completely bananas on value. The XJs are well on their way to collectible status like an old Land Rover, FJ Cruiser, IH Scout, etc.
    Plus you get extra cool points for driving the same car as Bosch.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    @BehindBlueI's

A man like you who don't need no stinkin' air suspension needs to get yourself an XJ-chassis Cherokee before they go completely bananas on value. The XJs are well on their way to collectible status like an old Land Rover, FJ Cruiser, IH Scout, etc.
    I had one. And an IHC Scout II. The Scout died a horrid death in a roll-over crash in Kansas when the trailer I was towing broke. The Cherokee was a 2000, Green with saddle interior, 4.0/auto. Essentially bulletproof. I had it when I went overseas and then when I came home traded it for a '98 Grand Cherokee for my wife. The rear doors were really too small for loading a child into a rear facing child seat.

If I actually did any off-roading I'd most likely have an XJ or TJ with the 4.0. But anything I do is limited to not much more then swampy areas/wet grass in my field on my rural property. I'm much more likely to buy a quasi-luxury or sportish SUV then anything that's really set up for off roading. I basically want a retirement-ready road-tripper. I anticipate being in my Ram for many more years, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Ah, I didn't realize you're a rural swamp dweller.

How many Geo Trackers do you have in the backyard?

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

You're spying on me now...

So our plots are real odd shaped because the back property line is state forest. The folks about 3/4 of a mile down the road used to have a metric shit ton of those and the Suzuki Samurais. They jumped them at county fairs. Like over cars and stuff, sort of an obese redneck Evel Knievel.

It's all cleaned up now, but the guy who owned the first property when you turned on our road had a junkyard around his house. Well, barn, but we'll get to that in a bit. Tons of old school buses, state trucks, assorted heavy equipment, etc. The school busses were loaded up with aluminum cans, which he was going to sell when aluminum hit a dollar a pound. He died before it did, though, and his live-in had to clean all that mess up. Live-in because he was still married to someone else but wouldn't divorce her because she'd have gotten half his junk. Same man who built his house inside an old barn so he wouldn't have to pay property taxes on a house, just an old barn. As I remember it, the house was actually really nice inside, you'd never guess it from the outside.

Another guy lived in the tack room attached to his barn, so it never struck me as odd as a youngster.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Moving to higher ASPs is probably the only way for automakers to survive in the current economy. Sales volume are down ~15% YoY; the extra margin on higher ASPs from relatively wealthy buyers who can afford to purchase new in the current economy are the only sensible way to go.
    That happened with pickups. When I bought my 07 Duramax the dealer had plenty 1/2 and 3/4 ton basic models. Now they've all been loaded up with every imaginable option with 50-60K MSRP. At least that's what happened to Chevy/GMC. I suppose you could order a fleet vehicle but not many dealers around here would put one on their lot.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The 3.6 V6 and 8 speed ZF tranny are well known as being solid.
    Dang it, I spoke again about owning a Chrysler product in the past so now I'm getting all these ads for shoes and boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That happened with pickups. When I bought my 07 Duramax the dealer had plenty 1/2 and 3/4 ton basic models. Now they've all been loaded up with every imaginable option with 50-60K MSRP. At least that's what happened to Chevy/GMC. I suppose you could order a fleet vehicle but not many dealers around here would put one on their lot.
    Yep, you go in to buy and they don't have any base models on the lot so they come down a little on a higher end model and you go up a bit on what you are willing to spend and everyone wins.

My dad bought a base model when he was retiring and they had to bring in one from another state and it took a couple weeks. Since he was retired he could wait it out, most people are there because they need a replacement and have to go to work tomorrow so they have to take those more expensive models.

Easier to upsell somebody to equipment they don't necessarily want or need than talk somebody out of equipment that they want or need.

Also much easier for a dealer to trade another dealer a loaded vehicle for a base one than the other way around.

I think people need to get over the idea of a vehicle’s attributes or aesthetics being associated with it’s name or manufacturer. Jeep already sells several on-road-only vehicles.

On the subject specifically of the new GC, I’m intrigued. I have been exceedingly close to buying a “new” Durango RT the past month or so. I’m curious to know to what extent the new GC and Durango continue the tradition of sharing various parts & pieces.

I’m also interested to see what trims carry over. I personally like the idea of a city-truck that maintains a bit of off-road capability but nothing too serious. I live in a sub-rural area and like the idea of keeping just a skosh on ability to go with my leather and CarPlay.

Hell, most of the people that whine about off-road performance of these kinds of things will (a; never buy one regardless and (b) never take it off-road if they do.

Like sports car guys crying about track performance of the car they’ll never afford and never track if they do.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Just use Google Earth. When you find a spot in Indiana that looks like the Davis-Monthan of Trackers, Samurais, a wrecked Scout, and one beat down Town Car, that's his place.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List