Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Fitness & Weight Loss Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I'll be getting another DXA scan tomorrow to check against my at home body fat estimates (and to compare against the January & October scans). I do expect to see some loss in lean mass this time (a category that includes blood volume, water weight, etc), but I'm really hoping to see zero loss in skeletal muscle mass (which was 84.8 lb in October and 84.7 lb in January).
    I'm pleased to report that while I did lose almost 2 lb of lean mass I actually gained 2 lb of skeletal muscle mass (mostly in my arms). My overall body fat % came in at 21.0% which is a little under my at home estimates (like it was last time as well). 21% body fat puts me in the top 34% of men my age which is surprising considering I was in the bottom 1% just 6 months ago... Of course being in the top 34% is a dubious honor in a country where 90% of men are overfat.

Name:  PXL_20210402_234402660_2.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  53.6 KB

The trends are pretty much all going in the right directions:

Name:  PXL_20210402_233954162.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  PXL_20210402_234416662_2.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:  PXL_20210402_234454044_2.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  48.5 KB

I need to lose 5 lbs of fat to be in a healthy body fat percentage, but lose 16 lbs of fat to reach a healthy fat mass index. Fat mass index is the more accurate measure, imo. Still, visceral adipose tissue - the unseen fat around your organs - is what really matters from a health perspective rather than subcutaneous fat (the unsightly fat under your skin).
    Name:  PXL_20210402_234436380_2.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  44.1 KB

By focusing on retaining lean & muscle mass my metabolism remained pretty much unchanged, defying the usual slowing with extreme weight loss:
    Name:  PXL_20210402_234511986_2.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  53.2 KB

I'm also getting another cycling VO2max test and hoping to see at least 4.25 L/min (vs 3.93 in January and 3.33 in October). That absolute VO2 works out to about 43 ml/kg/m which is in line with Fitbit's current running estimate of 42-46 and Garmin's 45. Cycling and running VO2s are usually pretty close, but it isn't unusual for running to be a little higher since it uses more muscle groups (which is why cross country skiers and rowers have the highest VO2s). But I'm also looking to verify my heart rate training zones since I've noticed my max heart rate has gone done (normal when your heart increases stroke volume after weeks/months of endurance exercise)
    Unfortunately the breathing apparatus was broken so I'll have to come back later to get my VO2 max test. I kind of feel like I wasted a week tapering my training for this test so I won't do so again (which probably means I'll be 3-5% under my potential).
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 04-02-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Happy to join. Lost 80lbs in 2020. Recently gained 32lbs back. Jumped back on the wagon this week. Hoping to get in better shape overall in order to past the physical agility test for the fire department.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    01/01/2021 : 221.6

01/16/2021: 217.2

01/31/2021: 213.6

02/14/2021: 212.6

02/28/2021: 208.4

03/15/2021: 202.8

Little late but:

04/04/2021: 203.0

Low of 202. Some very carb heavy days on Spring Break (I made several pizzas on the Kamado) and a mucus-y chest cold weren't conducive to weight loss.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

04/02/2020- 228.2lbs

This one was emotionally challenging if I can be open. I first started tracking my weight loss at 231.6lbs when I lost early last year. So seeing 228.2lbs again made me feel like I had gained it all back even though my heaviest was 276lbs.

Ive mentioned to some on here my younger brother is serving in the IDF and was selected for a special operations unit. Recently my family (all in the US) made a short motivational video to send him. I snapped a quick one of myself to send along. I caught a glimpse of myself in the video and had a "wait a second" moment when I saw how heavy I was. A little embarrassed to send it to him.

Recently purchased a 30lb kettlebell, two 10lb dumbells, a 16in step up box, some floor mats and a 60lb weighted vest to run some routines in preparation for the CPAT.

Hope everyone is making progress! Next weight in is this coming Saturday morning.
    Last edited by Mercworx; 04-04-2021 at 06:36 PM.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I stepped on the scale this morning and said, "You gotta be f'ing kidding me."

I thought I had cut back, but the scale doesn't lie.

At least I'm headed in the right direction (and this was after a Easter dinner(s)).
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

@0ddl0t out-f'ing-standing!
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    This is solid work guys.

I’m about a week out from the end of my second 6 week sprint, making consistent incremental progress in both waist to height ratio and weight loss.
    Well, things did not work out quite like I thought.

Weight is back to 180.2.

On the positive, my waist is down to 35 1/4", which is 1" away from my goal. This puts my current waist to height ratio at 53.5% (goal: 52%).

I think my flat progress last couple weeks of March is due to a combination of stress of moving house, falling off the wagon end of the month celebrating wife's birthday, not dragging my sorry butt to the gym, and making poor incremental choices ("Sure, I'll have the crispy chicken tenders at PDQ.").

Need to do better this next sprint.

Site Supporter
    Restarted 3/1...241.8

4/1 237.8

I'll take it. A f'd up month, leading to less workout time, and, by necessity, more reliance on convience foods.

pat

So I've had a few days to think about the next sprint. I've been doing these six-week sprints since getting serious last fall. They let me keep (more or less) constant focus and for each, I try and do a Start / Stop / Continue.

Overall goal is still to get to 52% waist to height ratio, and see where my weight is. My spreadsheet needs a number, so I have put in my usual 1 lb a week and 0.25" waistline reduction, per week. Charts look like this.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 485
Size:  14.1 KB
    Name:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 445
Size:  13.9 KB

Starts

This list is pretty short. By this point, with -30 lbs, and significant waistline reduction, there's not a lot I'm going to change, diet or exercise.

Stops

I went through my food and tossed out: Ken's Honey Mustard dressing and all the Almond Milk. I'd bought the HM dressing because I liked the taste (duh) but it had too many carbs (also duh). Same for the Almond Milk. I used it with the Protein Powder, but since I am out of that, and not going to buy any more, I didn't need the carbs or the calories.

I'm also halting with the cream cheese, and switching back to President Brie Cheese for a post-dinner fat dose. Adding a few fresh-cut strawberries adds a lot of flavor. This is a better option.

I've also noticed I don't lose when I eat ground beef, or steak. Might be the portions, might be the beef. I dunno. So going to cut back or eliminate.

Same with the chicken strips at PDQ although they are great, just too many carbs.

Continues

Basically same: a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet. For exercise I like what I do, it makes me feel better. I'll be paying more attention to the hidden carbs, and really trying to keep below 40-50g, net, and more like 30-40g, net. I do much better when I do this.

Same for the IF. On days I'm not working out, I plan to do TMAD and eat at maybe 11-12 and 5-6, no snacking. Still on 1,900 / day. Still don't feel hungry.

I'm out of Keto test strips, so I need to get a 50 pack of those.

Back in six weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    So I've had a few days to think about the next sprint. I've been doing these six-week sprints since getting serious last fall. They let me keep (more or less) constant focus and for each, I try and do a Start / Stop / Continue.
    Agile much?

― Ennius

User Tag List