Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Tropical Vacation

RFI: Tropical Vacation

Ms. Okie wants a tropical vacation. Hawaii is off the table--she was there in the military.

Thoughts on Mexico? Happy to visit a major touristy resort kinda city.

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Puerto Rico?

As a little kid I was in Barbados, and of course loved it. But I was just a little kid. I’ve never heard bad things by people who’ve been there more recently as adults, except that it’s a bit on the spendy side.

About 15 years ago I was at a conference in San Juan, PR and brought my then high school senior son along so that during the day he could study for exams by the pool rather than in the snow at home, and take a few lessons from the tennis pro (he was captain of the high school tennis team). And go out for nice dinners at night. We had an absolute blast and what stuck with me the most was how utterly lovely and friendly the people were. One example - at a nice restaurant in Old San Juan, the food at the next table had just been served. One of the dishes looked spectacular and I asked one of the gentleman at that table, a native, what it was. Some sort of special carnitas, and he insisted that I try some, which I did. I then proceeded to order it myself.

About 6 and 5 years ago, respectively, for what for us were rare family Christmas vacations, we rented a big house on a hill with a spectacular ocean view in Rio Grande, about 45 minutes east of San Juan. Four bedrooms, four baths, and ridiculously reasonable - about $250\night. Each of the kids brought a friend. Eight minute drive to the beautiful beaches in Luquillo, five minutes to a resort/country club (Rio Mar) where you could play golf and tennis even if not a member/visitor, 10 minutes to El Yunque rain forest for hiking, 20 minutes to Fajardo for fishing/snorkeling boats. Five minutes also to a neighborhood bakery called La Familia II. Not just bakery stuff, but terrific sandwiches, and a full blown Christmas dinner for take out, which we got both years.

During COVID, my son and his now fiancée felt the urge to escape Toronto. A lot of their friends went to Mexico, they chose to go back to Puerto Rico and rented a condo at Rio Mar for about nothing at all.

I enjoyed the food well enough, but my wife and daughter would have been happier with more options that incorporated vegetables and that weren’t fried. My daughter never ever wants to hear the word mofongo again.

Three and a half hour flight from the Northeast.

Weather can be an issue; sometimes the daytime temperature gets as low as 83 and other times as high as 86.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Ms. Okie wants a tropical vacation. Hawaii is off the table--she was there in the military.

Thoughts on Mexico? Happy to visit a major touristy resort kinda city.

Thanks,

Okie John

I’ve been to many places in Mexico, and while I do not prefer the touristy spots, there are some nice places on the east coast of the country.

Personally, I do not like Cancun and prefer Playa del Carmen if I’m going to hit the stereotypical tourist spot. My favorite place we went when in that area was a place called Holbox. You need to take a ferry to get there, but it’s remote, relaxed, safe and enjoyable. If you’re looking for endless options of what to do, it might not be the place, but if you want a spot to relax and enjoy the Mexican coast, it’s a decent place.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isla_Holbox

Site Supporter
    This may sound like an odd question but, what does she (or you) mean by tropical? Hot, sunny with white sand beaches? Lush tropical vegetation? Both? Do you want a lot of activities or is the idea to be able to sit on the beach and veg out for a week (or whatever)? Good food? Night life? Do either of you dive? Does it matter if people speak English or another language you're fluent in? Any limits on distance?

Site Supporter
    I really enjoyed a Caribbean cruise that departed from San Juan, if that sounds like your thing.

Bali was a ton of fun, but that can be long/expensive travel so might not fit.

Wife and I really enjoyed Puerto Vallarta; the only caveat there is we went right when Covid was subsiding so not crowded at all, and we didn’t go in the hot season.

You said Hawaii wasn’t an option, but you could consider an island she hasn’t been to; I’m partial to the Big Island and Kauai. To me staying in the USA reduces the general stress level of a trip at the expense of a bit less adventure and cultural exposure, so depends what you are looking for.

I’m anxious to try out Costa Rica; heard a lot of nice things about it. I’d be considering the risk factor of getting Covid in a place with less than first rate healthcare….

But my all time favorite that I am going back to in late October is Tahiti. Again not cheap, but that is the ultimate tropical island experience.

PS note pretty much all these “tropical paradises” have very tight weapons laws; I personally don’t even risk carrying a knife in these places.

I wouldn't take $1 million to go to Mexico. I went to Cancun and got sick. I was out of work for 1 week+ and was getting tested for parasites and all sorts of stuff. I was extremely careful with what I ate and drank. No Mexican water or ice. Brushed my teeth with bottled water.

On the other hand I was in the Cayman Islands, Martinique, Bonaire and drank the local water with zero issues. Mexico is a sewer to me. Plus now the the Cartel activity has even crept into the resorts.

There are a gazzillion good choices, but based on our trip I can recommend St. Lucia, the Sandals resort on that island. We got a recommended tour driver from the resort who took us out on two days to see the sights and visit stuff. History things in addition to the touristy things. Mrs. Fatdog loved the place and she has been a lot of places.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I wouldn't take $1 million to go to Mexico. I went to Cancun and got sick. I was out of work for 1 week+ and was getting tested for parasites and all sorts of stuff. I was extremely careful with what I ate and drank. No Mexican water or ice. Brushed my teeth with bottled water.

On the other hand I was in the Cayman Islands, Martinique, Bonaire and drank the local water with zero issues. Mexico is a sewer to me. Plus now the the Cartel activity has even crept into the resorts.
    Yeah I got Shigella (dysentery) while in Cancun. Ended up with bad reactive rheumatoid arthritis from that, which lasted several years. No bueno.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post

I pay to go to Mexico. If you get that $1 million offer let me know.

Actually I get it. I love Mexico, especially the rural areas. If I lived there I would just go eat and drink whatever to get my body used to it. When I’m in Mexico I avoid fresh cheese and fresh dairy, not quest fresco, but cheese that is not store bought. Tend to brush my teeth with bottled water, but I will use ice from the right places.

Part of the fun? lol

Did she leave Oahu when in Hawaii?

User Tag List