Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Fitness & Weight Loss Challenge

Modest goals this year. Starting at a little over 175, want to get down to and maintain 170. 5' 11", almost 50.

Trying to keep up with my five-days-a-week, 30 minute cardio routine (thanks, @Duke ).
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    When I see the weight loss thread I am tempted to post and I recall @Tom_Jones ' first post in the 2020 thread, and I acknowledge his point. I agree with it! I respect the man an awful lot, and he thouroughly trounced my ass the last couple of times we trained together. I shouldn't be allowed to breathe @JodyH's air. I am out of shape and carrying around about 50 extra pounds. 6'1.5 and 230#. 47 years old.

That said, get your physicians involved! The last several years I have been trying to drop weight. With. No. Success. At. All. Finally during the Year of Our Corona I got a new Primary Care doc who LISTENED to me and my concerns. That, under new insurance, took 5.5 months. Learned my testosterone was low and he set me up with an endocrinologist, who listend to me and gave me several additional tests. That took 2.5 months. Set me up with a sleep study, another month. Waiting for the official results on that, but Obstructive Sleep Apnea is the likely diagnosis.

My primary care's theory is my sleep habits caused me to not recuperate or recover like I should, and it had an impact on my hormones. Which reduced my recovery and recuperation, and reduced the quality of my sleep. Which affected recovery and hormones. My testosterone had bottomed out at 78 ng/dl, where normal is 350-850 ng/dl. I had to lie in bed for 8-10 hours to get 4-6 hours of sleep. I was always tired. My doc believed that the vicious circle reduced my ability and desire to work out hard, while making me need it more. I believed I was working out like an animal, and seeing no improvements, when in reality I was likely doing the best I was capable of, but nowhere near enough. When my kids got older and changed schools I was no longer walking them to and from school. And I like to eat and drink. Which can effect sleep quality and hormone levels.

Tomorrow I start my 3rd week of testosterone injections. I should really start seeing/feeling reults in the next week or two. I am feeling a bit more energy on a day to day basis, and I am easing back into fitness to avoid injury and build a solid base. Walking more. Drinking more water. Dry January. Eating big salads (raw) or stir fries (cooked) to get at least a pound of vegetables into me a day during my main meal. Lean protien. Fiber supplements. Olive oil shooters. Intermittent fasting. Waiting for the sleep study results, but likely going to get a CPAP. Several co-workers, friends, and my wife have CPAPs, and, with the right masks and whatnot report quality sleep doubling, and waking up less tired, not using the snooze bar, and having energy for the day.

I do not want to live this way, but I am tired of being tired. I am tired of being gassed after a foot pursuit or fight with someone. And the light at the end of the tunnel is that my hormone panel indicates my low-t may be reversable, and losing 50 pounds may reduce or relieve sleep apnea to the point where treatment is not necessary.

I will still be sleeping a really messed up schedule, but the sleep should actually support my efforts, instead of countering them.

I am in this year.

pat
    Excellent advice

Shitloads of people have sleep apnea. It's far more harmful to your health than people give it credit for, and when I was working night shift I can say that the majority of patients I took care of had some undiagnosed OSA.

As for men with testosterone deficiency, that's also extremely common for middle aged men.

I am also going to make a shameless plug for taking vitamins. I also tend to take additional vitamin D as most people are deficient as we as a species have moved indoors. You can, I think, get your levels checked.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Continuing from prior years (2020's thread, 2019's thread, 2018's thread), what are your fitness goals for 2021?
    goal is to get back where i was. three months ago i woke up with excruciating back and leg pain. resulted in a spinal fusion a month ago. i now have 4 screws in my back. inactive all that time and gained 15 lbs. i'll start getting back on the bike in 4-6 months, and by the end of the year i want to be back to the shape i was in

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    As for men with testosterone deficiency, that's also extremely common for middle aged men.
    I'm 58 and borderline low-T. A few years ago I started boosting it with guidance from a physician. I saw almost immediate gains at the gym and lost several pounds. But my PSA level went up so I stopped.

@45dotACP all good points. Doctors seem to find more and more reasons to up your vitamin D dose each day: decreased COVID death, heart health, immunity, etc. I take 5000 iu's each day.

My own experience with doctors and sleep apnea was frustrating: they seem to all own stock in CPAP companies, and that was it. Weight loss has done more for me than anything else.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Weight loss has done more for me than anything else.
    It tends to be very beneficial to those with OSA to lose weight. And also to manage their blood pressure.

For some, CPAP machines are difficult to deal with. It does require finding a method/plan that works best for you individually, as not everyone will handle it the same.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I was doing well losing weight in 2019. Then I went to Prague in Dec 2019 for a vacation. Czech beer is not diet friendly but it tastes so good!!! I didn’t gain back any weight on that vacation but i planned to get back on Keto in January. 2020 was not a year to diet.
    But I am back on keto and I started loosing weight again. My fitnessPal app has been a big help. I customized my macros for keto and it has been very educational. It really allows you to see where you can improve. Example - I did not realize a handful of honey roasted peanuts was 1000 calories. Intermediate fasting is also working for me. I don’t eat after 1800 hrs. I get up at 0600 hrs but I just drink coffee until 1000 or 1100 hrs. A food scale from Amazon was also educational. Many foods serving sizes are very small on purpose so the nutritional value looks better. The Pure Protein brand shakes are also great for upping your protein with few carbs. They come in a variety of flavors.
    I also use a CPAP and have low testosterone issues. The best thing I have done is to go Keto and loose weight. Cutting the carbs to 50 grams a day or less has had a great side effect for me. After about 10 days I noticed a distinct decrease in aches and pains. I started loosing weight, I wasn’t hungry, I was pissing better and my testosterone actually went up on its own with shots. I can’t cheat though. If I go carb heavy for one day it takes me days to get back to feeling good. When I first tried keto I got the keto flu. I felt like shit and had a bad headache for days. Make sure you eat enough of good clean food including minerals to prevent that. Since covid I have been taking more vitamins than ever. I started with vitamin D but they added zinc, manganese , B complex and a multi vitamin.
    I have had people tell me I could never sleep with a CPAP mask or I could never do X , Y or Z. When you are talking you health or other important issues; you just do it. Nobody cares if you like it. I don’t understand people. They say they want something but don’t want to but in the work. When I got injured at work I told the PT and the surgeon I don’t care what you or I have to do to get me better. Kill a chicken; what ever works. Just get me better. I used to bite on a towel during PT. One time I passed out during a graston session. My back would get so bruised I looked like car ran me over.
    I guess what I’m trying to say is you don’t have to like it but do it anyway. If you are not getting the results you want look for another method
    Last edited by Poconnor; 01-11-2021 at 11:08 AM.

Site Supporter
    For decades, the Army height-weight and APFT kept me at a minimum standard. When I retired from ARNG and had my first real civilian physical - my new DR got on my butt about all my numbers - funny Army annual physical/SRP said I was "ok". Last six years, my annual Wyoming hunting trip has been my motivator to get in better shape as humping a ruck over rough terrain for a week+ will kick your butt! Last year, I walked 2 miles per day at a brisk pace on treadmill with a 40 lb ruck and that was my best shape yet for Wyoming hunt (I am oldest of the group and a whole lot more miles on the chassis). Pushing away from table some, not traveling for work during Covid and eating big meals on expense account really helped too. Just retired from civilian career too so now I need to get into a routine still using treadmill with ruck and planning to add some kettlebell too. Looking at it as "preventive maintenance" as I age.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Health goal this year is to finally un-bone my sleep. My baseline:

Name:  sleep.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  22.0 KB

Target numbers are literally anything better than that.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Name:  fitnes 1.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  13.4 KB
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List