Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: 2021 Fitness & Weight Loss Challenge

Site Supporter
    Great post, @Crawls. I’m no expert, but that is what I would have said (minus the personal experience).

<1,000 calories a day and cardio for a 200 lb man is teaching your body to get rid of muscle. Muscle is the stuff that burns calories at rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawls View Post
    I'm not a doctor, nutritionist or trainer, but I bet that eating a low calorie diet and focusing on cardiovascular exercise has caused your body to adapt. Your body has shed muscle that you're not using to lower your caloric demand and your metabolism has tanked to get by on your super low caloric intake.

You don't mention what your fitness goals are, but I'm assuming it's body composition related if you're spending hours on a treadmill and eating at starvation levels. You may find that "reverse dieting" for a few months combined with a solid resistance training program (like a Starting Strength Novice Linear Program) will help out long term improving body composition and health. By building muscle, you increase you basal metabolic rate and increase the number of calories you burn when you're exercising. Thus, when you transition back to a "cut" you body is more efficient of burning excess calories/fat. Plus, what guy doesn't want more muscle?

A few years ago, I made the mistake of severe dieting combined with tons of cycling to lose weight. I dropped 44 pounds in a matter of a few months only to realize that 20 pounds of that weight was muscle mass that I lost. I was fast on my bike, but overall my power was down and even my watts/KG (dorky cycling jargon) were marginally better than where I started from. I've spent the past two years trying to regain that 20 lbs of muscle. It's been a lot more work rebuilding the muscle than losing it was, but ultimately I feel better and I enjoy eating 3000 calories and 200+ grams of protein a day.
    I didn't explain myself too well I guess. Was trying not to write a wall of text that read like a life story! [emoji16]

I can't fit 3000 calories worth of normal food. That's force feeding. My normal eating is 1000 +/- even when I was skinny.

I tried eating more. Kept a daily diary. Still have it somewhere. It was all part of the private training I went to for 3 years. We tried several different combinations. The only thing that more food did was add weight. I gained muscle for sure. I got stronger, but I gained fat weight at a much much faster rate over muscle. My pants size went up too and I had to switch to larger tshirts. For whatever reason it's nearly impossible to burn off weight. If I add more food I simply gain weight. If I take away food I stay where I stopped. Basically imagine being 165lbs and stuffing a bunch of pillows inside your tshirt. Now imagine doing exercises and adding food but only having those pillows get puffier! ,[emoji2959][emoji2957]

You dropped 44 pounds in a few months. I dropped 20lbs in 2 years of daily exercise. Even when I don't exercise I do a minimum of 1.5 miles - 5 miles of walking a day with my dog. 5 miles is on normal weather days. 1.5 miles is freezing cold, heavy snow, rainstorm... So I'm always moving even when not exercising. And if you take off the calories burned from those eaten there were days I had under 500 calories. 500 is typically not a surplus for someone weighing 220lbs. (Obviously the calories are guestimates from what the treadmill and food labels show).

Fitness goal is to loose the 70+/- pounds. Would be happy to be somewhere between 170-180.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I didn't explain myself too well I guess. Was trying not to write a wall of text that read like a life story! [emoji16]

I can't fit 3000 calories worth of normal food. That's force feeding. My normal eating is 1000 +/- even when I was skinny.

I tried eating more. Kept a daily diary. Still have it somewhere. It was all part of the private training I went to for 3 years. We tried several different combinations. The only thing that more food did was add weight. I gained muscle for sure. I got stronger, but I gained fat weight at a much much faster rate over muscle. My pants size went up too and I had to switch to larger tshirts. For whatever reason it's nearly impossible to burn off weight. If I add more food I simply gain weight. If I take away food I stay where I stopped. Basically imagine being 165lbs and stuffing a bunch of pillows inside your tshirt. Now imagine doing exercises and adding food but only having those pillows get puffier! ,[emoji2959][emoji2957]

You dropped 44 pounds in a few months. I dropped 20lbs in 2 years of daily exercise. Even when I don't exercise I do a minimum of 1.5 miles - 5 miles of walking a day with my dog. 5 miles is on normal weather days. 1.5 miles is freezing cold, heavy snow, rainstorm... So I'm always moving even when not exercising. And if you take off the calories burned from those eaten there were days I had under 500 calories. 500 is typically not a surplus for someone weighing 220lbs. (Obviously the calories are guestimates from what the treadmill and food labels show).

Fitness goal is to loose the 70+/- pounds. Would be happy to be somewhere between 170-180.

It sounds like you might benefit from consulting with an endocrinologist.

Such a low caloric intake while still gaining weight sounds to me like you may have some sort of metabolic issue.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    It sounds like you might benefit from consulting with an endocrinologist.

Such a low caloric intake while still gaining weight sounds to me like you may have some sort of metabolic issue.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    I did. That's the guy who gave me the diabetic shots that are also supposed to help with weight loss. It's the 3rd guy I've been to! So far they all just shrug

For anyone wondering about food. First off I'm not a big fan of carbs. Never was, even as a kid You can keep all the bread, pastas and potatoes..etc.. the best kind of sandwich is a rare steak in between 2 rare steaks! [emoji16]

My mom never allowed processed food in the house and no sodas or store bought juice. She wouldn't even buy ground beef, she would do it herself. Breakfast was always real oatmeal or buckwheat. Dinner was home cooked soup, some kind of meat and a salad or vegetable. No dressings except vinegar, oil, squeezed lemon (not lemon juice). Junk food like pizza was every once in a while. Maybe 2-3 times a year. Her only problem was despite meaning well she couldn't actually cook [emoji2]. Everything was super duper well done... twice! [emoji2].

I pretty much shop the same way now. I have 3 freezers filled with whole (not ground) meat and fish and maybe one potato rolling around somewhere.

Breakfast ever other day. Steel cut or old fashioned oats. Not instant. Teaspoon of chia seeds for good fat and fiber, some crushed nuts and a sprinkling of cinnamon. And coffee with a packet of Splenda and a splash of none pasteurized fresh cow or goat milk..... OR .... 1 full egg with 1 added egg white (the dog gets that yolk). One serving or wild caught salmon/sardines/Herring/Mackerel. Not in oil, only in water or it's own juices. 1/4 avocado and the coffee.

Dinner is 4-6oz of meat with greens in some ways l shape or from. All the meat is bought raw and cooked by me. Some spices and on the skillet until rare - med rare. I try to be different every day and incorporate wild seafood as well. Yesterday was lamb leg with steamed spinach and garlic. Today is pork with a piece of sweet potato and brussel sprouts. Tomorrow wild caught salmon, grilled red peppers and maybe something else. Friday maybe lamb again, I'm thinking with grilled broccoli and serving of red beans with crushed garlic and chopped onions. All bought raw and fresh and all cooked by me. No sugar, no additives, no corn syrup, no processing. Even the ketchup is all natural no sugar.

Snacks. 99% whole fruits. I LOVE citrus fruit and berries so mostly that Oranges, grapefruits, tangerines, blueberries, raspberries. Occasionally I can snack on a carrot in the evening...like I did yesterday.

The only time I buy potato chips and soda is for large company. And then it's either all eaten or the leftovers are tossed. I had pizza and beers on Memorial day. Worked on the basement all day. It was my first pizza in at least 5 years. Last time I had McDonald's type food was before 2010 and it was on a day I was stuck in a different state without a car and I was starving. McDonald's turned out to be the closest thing in walking distance. Otherwise before that was years more.

Everything is cooked with either 100% real olive oil. Believe it or not most olive oils are either fake or for one reason or another no longer have the health benefits. Or real fat, which I render myself. Beef, pork and occasionally duck. Sometimes I use butter but rarely. Even then it's real natural butter

This is how I eat daily. If you invite me to a bbq I'll eat whatever you serve but mostly it will be the meat. I also love a good Belgian ale and any brown liquor. From S. America to the Islands of Scotland. However, I don't indulge in that daily or even weekly. Although summer time I tend to drink more beer.

This was today's early dinner.

User Tag List