Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Fitness & Weight Loss Challenge

Down 140 lbs. so far and still working on it. I have about 15 to go to meet my goal. Never thought I'd be able to take this much off. I'm at a staying at this weight now for a few weeks and up and down a pound of two but I'm still trying.

I upped my workout to 20 miles each morning and another 8 pounds at night. I figure a marathon a day is pretty good even though it split up and on my recumbent bike.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    01.02 checkin: 174.6, 619 calories under my 1627 daily budget for the month (only calories consumed count, workouts aren't considered), 22 workouts for an average of 234 calories each.

I'd call that 6 pounds lost for the month where most requirements were met. That's less loss than I would expect for that calorie count, so I bet I cheat with respect to portion size when counting calories; that's what I'll try hardest to fix in February.
    People almost always overestimate their calorie intake. Even dietitians under count by an average of over 200 calories per day. Mostly it is portion size errors, but some of it is due to food labeling laws which allow companies to be off by 20% and round to the nearest 5 calorie increment (0 calorie cooking sprays are more like 3 calories for every 1/4 second you spray).

But as long as you are consistent, it doesn't matter -just adjust your goal appropriately.

Name:  janfeb.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  46.2 KB

Pretty amazed I held onto the same weight. Ate like an abused wolverine all weekend. Did row for 4 days last week but not for extended periods (15 min sessions.)
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Took a screenshot a few days ago but forgot to post it...down 3.6lb in January...and as you can see from the chart I basically lost that weight three times. It's no mystery why, the facts are these and they are hardly new revelations:

• If I log everything I eat in MyFitnessPal I consistently lose weight, even if I go a little over my goal some days.
    • If I somehow convince myself it's okay not to log something, it's a slippery slope downhill from there. Like maybe my wife is craving takeout from the local Chinese joint which has no nutritional information available...I don't say no or eat separately because secretly I want to be talked into it...then afterwards I tell myself well today's already a loss, so **** it...
    • Alcohol has a way of turning that slippery slope into a cliff.

Those mistakes will not be repeated in February.

Just lifted casually in January, but officially started 5x5 Feb 1. Found I cannot squat below parallel with any kind of weight without causing knee pain. Doing box squats for now.

Name:  jan21.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  14.2 KB

As much as I find logging every single thing I eat in MyFitnessPal a PITA, I’m convinced it’s chief benefit is forcing me to make better choices.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I think MFP is good at making you confront your decisions and also to learn what a given amount of calories looks like. I was 211.4 this morning, so down a touch over 10 lbs since 01/01 and am closing in on my lowest weight from last year (206.8). I'm not using MFP except to figure calories in a new recipe at this point.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

2021 Fitness & Weight Loss Challenge

It’s not really any better but LoseIt! has fewer ads and better lookups than MFP. I used MFP for like three or four years off and on.
    Ignore Alien Orders

5th week of 2021 check-in. These are weekly averages:

-- JAN 06 Dexa scan: 28.6% body fat --
    Week___Weight_NavyBF_highBIA_lowBIA_Lean_Fat_Calor ies
    JAN 01-07: 244.5__30.9%__31.9%__N/A____167.8_76.8__1811
    JAN 08-14: 239.9__28.8%__32.6%__27.4%__169.3_70.6__2190
    JAN 15-21: 236.3__27.4%__31.9%__27.3%__169.0_67.3__1834
    JAN 22-28: 234.4__26.4%__30.6%__26.0%__170.3_64.1__1884
    JAN29-F04: 231.4__25.5%__30.3%__25.9%__170.3_61.9__2103

No improvement in 1 mile or 5K times, but I did run my first ever 10K in 72:13. Working on a Garmin-guided plan to get that under 60 minutes in <12 weeks...

I'm starting to run into the fat loss limit so I've also increased my calories from 1800 to 2000 which allows my new macro goals (35% protein, 20% fat, 45% carbs) to finally fit within the "acceptable macronutrient distribution range."
    Trying (unsuccessfully) to keep up with BBI's step count has resulted in me getting a lot more exercise lately so I've increased calories again to 2250 (30% protein, 25% fat, 45% carbs).

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    • If I log everything I eat in MyFitnessPal I consistently lose weight, even if I go a little over my goal some days.
    • If I somehow convince myself it's okay not to log something, it's a slippery slope downhill from there. Like maybe my wife is craving takeout from the local Chinese joint which has no nutritional information available...I don't say no or eat separately because secretly I want to be talked into it...then afterwards I tell myself well today's already a loss, so **** it...
    • Alcohol has a way of turning that slippery slope into a cliff.

Those mistakes will not be repeated in February.
    When I eat out somewhere with no nutrition info I just snap a picture of my plate with my cell phone before eating and then later at home I take a bit more time to try and estimate how much of what foods were included. When there are a bunch of different options for say, macaroni and cheese, I pick a variant towards the higher end of calories assuming that restaurants are more likely use more butter/lard/salt etc.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post

No improvement in 1 mile or 5K times, but I did run my first ever 10K in 72:13. Working on a Garmin-guided plan to get that under 60 minutes in <12 weeks...
    Just some friendly BTDT advise, don't worry overly much about times until you get your weight closer to where you want to be. Don't stress your joints to the point of injury, because that's a sure way to board the roller coaster of lose weight, hurt self, gain weight, think you're healed, lose weight, hurt self, gain weight.... I wasted probably four years in that cycle and a lot of it was due to pushing distances or speeds I shouldn't have been.

It's also hard to make time gains when your nutrition is more about weight loss then recovery and when you're keeping your activity levels more even vs gains, rest, race day. The program you use will enforce that and you'll see gains, but just be honest with what your real goals are right now. Don't put chasing a time ahead of weight loss (assuming that's your real goal at the moment).
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List