Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrestling Setup Instructionals

Wrestling Setup Instructionals

I've been training BJJ a few years and my standup is crap. I'm also stuck training at home with one friend (whose wrestling is worse), so I'm scouring online learning material.

Does anyone have particular recommendations for wrestling instructionals, especially focused on neutral position/setups/handfighting? I've been going through kolat.com, and maybe that's all I need, but I often find "focused" lectures on a single topic can help me understand things better. I appreciate any directions people can point me in.

Thanks!

Site Supporter
    BJJfanatics has some instructionals, as does their cousin company, I think it's called like wrestling fanatics or something...

Occasionally you can get instructionals that are actually free, others can be found quite cheap.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The best ones I have ever seen were put out in the late 90's by USA Wrestling (the national Olympic body) and they did two sets - one on freestyle, and one on Greco. I think I paid about $40 for each and they were hours long. They are not available from them anymore, but if you do a search you may find them.

I had a guy around 2008 offer me $300 for each set. I did not sell.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    The best ones I have ever seen were put out in the late 90's by USA Wrestling (the national Olympic body) and they did two sets - one on freestyle, and one on Greco. I think I paid about $40 for each and they were hours long. They are not available from them anymore, but if you do a search you may find them.

I had a guy around 2008 offer me $300 for each set. I did not sell.
    Huh, I will have to start digging for them. Do you remember the specific names of the dvds?

Thanks. Maybe I'll have some luck. I've found some amazing old russian videos on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    Huh, I will have to start digging for them. Do you remember the specific names of the dvds?

Thanks. Maybe I'll have some luck. I've found some amazing old russian videos on youtube.

I don't. Sorry. They are buried in some boxes somewhere. If I get the chance to look for them, I will let you know

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    The best ones I have ever seen were put out in the late 90's by USA Wrestling (the national Olympic body) and they did two sets - one on freestyle, and one on Greco. I think I paid about $40 for each and they were hours long. They are not available from them anymore, but if you do a search you may find them...
    Any chance these?

Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Any chance these?

]

That is them! Nice find dude.

My Greco coach competed against Houck. They were not friends at all, but Howard (my coach) said the video was really good. That was good enough for me.

Amazing! Thank you both!

Site Supporter
    Holy shit, just found my way back to the this thread. What an awesome YouTube find. I know what I'll be doing/drilling the next few weeks haha.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Holy shit, just found my way back to the this thread. What an awesome YouTube find. I know what I'll be doing/drilling the next few weeks haha.

I watched all of the videos in the thread. It took up my lunch breaks for awhile. I think the first 2 were most helpful to my understanding. If I had someone to drill with they would be the curiculum. Really explained the concept of various actions. I wish I had a vague inkling of the ruleset these techniques were made for. The context they're made for doesn't detract from the context I want the knowledge for... but it might color in some details for someone like me who didn't wrestle in highschool. Or attend high school for that matter.

User Tag List