Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Things to think about besides triggers, sights, and gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoresy View Post
    This might be fodder for it's own thread, but what vehicles have this bug... I mean, "feature"?
    Well, nowadays, most vehicles do.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'll also offer a mild apology for the tone of my post, as when I copy and pasted that from my FB, I had just come out of a discussion with some NRA instructor types who think a gun is the answer to everything and are very "line in the sand" about "what is and isn't" and had offered some TERRIBLE advice. My mistake was engaging with people who I know don't have any tenure or experience in life much less firearms training.

Some of that carried over here and it shouldn't have.
    Apology mildly accepted...I think.

Once upon a time, people had to pay to learn information from rightful SMEs of particular fields that's now offered for free on the Internet. I've seen a lot of really knowledgeable people with useful and interesting insights eventually get fed up and abandon social forums such as this because it puts them into conversations with others who speak/write outside of their lane. It seems to be not a matter of if but when.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post

I'll also offer a mild apology for the tone of my post, as when I copy and pasted that from my FB, I had just come out of a discussion with some NRA instructor types who think a gun is the answer to everything and are very "line in the sand" about "what is and isn't" and had offered some TERRIBLE advice. My mistake was engaging with people who I know don't have any tenure or experience in life much less firearms training.

Some of that carried over here and it shouldn't have.
    I’ll go ahead and speak for a plurality of posters who’ve been here a while: we all got it; nothing to apologize for. Thanks for taking time to paste both the video and the full context of the discussion. The stuff left in from the FB-driven issue also imparted value to the OP.

JMO.

But you know I’m right.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’ll go ahead and speak for a plurality of posters who’ve been here a while: we all got it; nothing to apologize for. Thanks for taking time to paste both the video and the full context of the discussion. The stuff left in from the FB-driven issue also imparted value to the OP.

JMO.

But you know I’m right.

Amen! I greatly appreciate it when someone shares knowledge or valuable analysis.

Mr Douglas - I have more tasty beverages for you in March when you visit us here in Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    So within the context of the OP's thread title....

Apparently waste band or sweatpants holsters are a bad idea? Seems like going for a roll is a great way to lose a gun with this set up. Or your option is to go gun early so you don't lose it.

Should concealed holsters have some type of retention even if the holster stays put so does the gat?

If you lived in an area due to politics or laws that shooting that suspect if he charged would be a bad idea ....what do you do with the gun during the charge?

should we all have some type of hoodie that can be converted into an emergency holster/backpack? Or did I just succumb to marketing? (Sarcasm)

I used to not carry when I was bouncing for fear of losing it. After the pulse nightclub shooting I started carrying at work. I never had an issue with ptd loops or kydex releasing a gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I used to not carry when I was bouncing for fear of losing it. After the pulse nightclub shooting I started carrying at work. I never had an issue with ptd loops or kydex releasing a gun.
    How tight was the retention set on your holster? Like on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the gun would drop out of the holster if turned upside down, and 10 being it almost won't release the gun.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    How tight was the retention set on your holster? Like on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the gun would drop out of the holster if turned upside down, and 10 being it almost won't release the gun.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I always crank the retention down. It might be able to be tighter but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I ask these questions because many here carry in their gym shorts around the house or to the store or walking the dog or at the gym. Even some SMEs said this. Seems like it negates the ability to go hands-on.

Not necessarily. The main issue in this situation is buying a holster with some kind of clip attachment, throwing in the waistband of sweatpants of gym shorts and going about your business. No testing or practicing to make sure you are set up properly. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

This very first thing to do is tighten the drawstring in the waistband. If you run it with the same level of slack that 99.9% run it with, and then you throw on something that weighs a pound or two, is maybe short and squat (i.e. not a lot of leverage in length and all the weight is smack in the middle of the gun) and you start moving explosively, things may happen with the holster and gun that you don't want.

You may also need to run the gun a bit lower than you do with a belt. The higher it sits, the less leverage under the waistband which puts more pressure on the clip to hold it on. For example, on my LCR, I want most of the waistband to be at least above the midline of the cylinder. Any lower and the weight of the butt and gun above the waistband may very well tip outwards even without pressure.

The third item is to actually know how to go hands on in a grappling situation with good mechanics and understanding of principles, not just a collection of techniques that you "know".

As in most things, it is not just a gear issue that is solved by gear. It is a multi-faceted problem that requires work and knowledge along with the gear.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Bit of a thread drift from the current conversation but the title of the thread aligns with my mindset for this year. This year will be the year of "everything else" meaning my classes will focus on everything else other than the physical act of shooting. So tactics, mindset, hand to hand, verbal skills, medical ect. With ammo being as crazy as it is its the perfect opportunity to focus on arguably the more important aspects of self defense.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

The unlocking thing recently happened here. A woman was the subject of road rage and she drove home parked in her driveway. Roadrage guy pulled in behind her. She turned her car off, door unlocks road rage guy opened the door drug her out of the car and assaulted her in her front yard. Road rage guy gets back in his truck and drove off. Either that night or the next night her vehicle was egged so Im assuming road rage guy returned.
    Last I heard he had not been caught.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List