Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many times will you rechamber a round?

Since I bought a second G19 for carry only, rechambering rounds isn't really an issue for me any more, as the gun stays in the holster as it is all the time. Years ago as a test I took a few of my then carry rounds (Ranger 127gr +P+), rechambered them dozens of times and then measured the OALs. There was no setback.

I've never experienced any issues with re-chambered rounds with any Glocks to my recollection...dating back to the late 80's.

I generally avoid it as a policy these days, but have done so without incident.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Dept. armorer, I've seen many rounds with bullet setback in 357 Sig and 40S&W (Sig P229 & G22). Mostly the guys who load and unload every shift. I haven't seen any yet with our Gen 5 9mm but we've only had the guns for about eight months.

I once contacted Speer to ask their recommendation and was told they recommended carry ammo not be chambered more than twice. I figure they’re probably being conservative about that guidance and the actual accounts of rounds failing to fire I’ve heard have involved rounds that had been chambered dozens of times or more. I’ve settled on four times. Every time I unchamber a round of handgun ammo, I make a black sharpie mark on the case head. Then I unload my least-likely-to-be-needed duty magazine and load the newly marked round at the bottom. Rounds with four sharpie marks get set aside as practice ammo. So far I’ve never even been able to fill a magazine with rounds that have three sharpie marks because we shoot up our duty ammo and receive replacement ammo during some of our quals.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 01-06-2021 at 09:39 AM.

Site Supporter
    I field strip and lube my carry guns about monthly and fire them a couple of times a year, so the top round gets rechambered about 5-6 times, then shot. I've got twins of the carry guns that I do most of my shooting with. I think I go through a cylinderful of carry ammo in my revolvers yearly, just to remind myself what it feels like.

I have a little OAL gage I made for each of my carry loads - it’s just a piece of 0.040 styrene with a notch and the load name written in Sharpie. I check rounds against it before rechambering since setback is my biggest concern.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Potentially 3 times. A chambered round gets a sharpie mark on the case head when unloaded. If it has 2 marks it goes to the bottom of the mag and will only get rechambered when fired. We get new duty ammo issued yearly, so it’s not a problem. Kind of compunctive, I know, but I’ve seen bullet setback in .40 cal.
    I use a similar method, but the round gets 4 sharpie marks before going into the bottom of the mag, or alternatively, my range bag for use at my next live fire session. I'm using HKs and Glocks in 9mm if that makes any difference. Avoiding bullet setback is one reason I like to have a dedicated dryfire gun.

I recall that Aaron Cowan did a test on this issue. He also tested how many press checks it took to effect setback. If I recall correctly it took thousands of press checks to cause setback. Maybe someone with google-fu can find the article.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    With the recent shortage of ammo I think dry fire is as or more important than ever. I am still live firing but don't see my numbers being close to previous years. I am wondering how many times you do or could chamber a round before you expect set back? I have a few boxes of my carry load but have not seen any to replace so I will be shooting reloads and trying to make my carry ammo last. I have been very careful to slowly/softly chamber my carry rounds. For reference I am carrying a Glock 26 with 147 HST.
    2-4 or so. I have twin carry/training guns so I download very little.

This isn't as much of a thing as discussed, but it is a thing. Susceptibility also trends to some guns, loads, manufacturers, etc. As an example, one of the Speer GDSP 125s in 357 Auto would consistently visibly setback in G31/32/33 after 2-3 chamberings. The caliber in general was notorious for this. Some others I can't get to setback and get bored of trying. For those, the issue becomes damage/dislodge to the priming compound.

If you're concerned about setback, in each new batch of carry ammo sacrifice a few rounds to repetitive chambering and assess results.

And this is yet another reason to have ample supply of carry ammo around. Especially if you may need to admin handle guns a lot in this way.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Lots of great feedback. I guess at this point I will try to avoid loading and unloading when possible. I may use my 19 for dry fire. When I go to the range I will just be careful and measure the round before I rechamber.

Site Supporter
    In my pistols, 4 times before they're at the bottom of the magazine.

In AR's (or anything with a floating pin), twice and they're at the bottom.

Having a training gun and a carry gun has a lot of benefits, from broken parts/optics, isolation of problems from your carry gun, reduction of admin handling of a hot gun, and not constantly chambering your carry ammo.

User Tag List