Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many times will you rechamber a round?

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post

Having a training gun and a carry gun has a lot of benefits, from broken parts/optics, isolation of problems from your carry gun, reduction of admin handling of a hot gun, and not constantly chambering your carry ammo.
    This is the way.

Site Supporter
    Having a training gun and a carry gun has a lot of benefits, from broken parts/optics, isolation of problems from your carry gun, reduction of admin handling of a hot gun, and not constantly chambering your carry ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    This is the way.
    What they said.

Site Supporter
    What's the primary risk with setback? Pressure increase, right? Due to less space in the cartridge case?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    What's the primary risk with setback? Pressure increase, right? Due to less space in the cartridge case?
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    This is the way.
    Totally agree. I have a G19 with the same sights and backstrap as my issued G23 and it cuts out much admin handling of the work gun.
    Last edited by FNFAN; 01-06-2021 at 03:41 PM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Gonna pile on with the buy more guns crowd.

I keep one to carry, one to shoot and a spare. Or two.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Also, if there's a chambering issue depending on failure mode (IE - bullet jams in top of barrel, slide on the case, out of battery) - the crimp could be damaged, which would decrease the accuracy of the cartridge if it didn't prevent proper chambering in the future.

And, there's another match on the 12th :-)

In my pistols, 4 times before they're at the bottom of the magazine.

In AR's (or anything with a floating pin), twice and they're at the bottom.

Second gun for practice! For all these reasons. And just to have a spare.

I tested setback in HST 147, and couldn’t get more than a few 1000’s after a lot of chambering. When the round starts looking beat up, it’s gone. I never put a chambered round into any carry magazine. If a round gets buggered by chambering, at least it’s either already chambered, or in the training ammo box.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

FWIW, though I have at least one of every carry pistol, with a clone, I hadn't thought of using one for carry and one for training as I try to share the use.

To the question, rechambering is limited to 3, marked with a sharpie each time. There might be a 4 in the mix somewhere, but never a problem. Glocks and M&P's in 9mm & .45 and 1911's and now and then a Browning High Power 9mm. With AR's, no more than twice.

YMMV

Double post, sorry

User Tag List