Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this the best 9mm defense ammo?

The only ammo I've had issues with in recent years out of a G26, 19 and 17 is Blazer (brass) 115 gr. All other carry and training ammo has worked well, though some are better, (147 gr HST), with accuracy out of my guns.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Standard pressure GD 124s, at least, don't expand out of a G43 -- Chuck Haggard and Tamara demonstrated that to me repeatedly in 2016.

As mentioned, +P loads may not run great in some compact pistols.

Short barrel pistols are not as good as service pistols. Load and carry appropriately.

Lightbulb I had option to choose 124 or 147...

So I read a lot of threads before buying the P9HST1.
    My options were either that or 147 gr hst.
    Lots of articles mentioned 124 gr is better than 147 gr.
    Oh well. It's too late to change to 147 gr.

BTW, it's not only for the Shield.
    I'll load my M&P M2.0 4" as well.
    50 rounds are more than enough for both and still some left over so not going to buy 147 gr anytime soon.

Dunno if 124gr standard pressure Federal HST is "best" or not, but since Doc gave it his approval, and since my daily CCW is a compact gun (Gen 5 G26), it's what I carry, and I long ago squirreled away a case of it, since it's reliable and shoots right to POA.

I don't worry much about any "single best" round. I insist that POI = POA, in my hands, in my gun, and that it's among the known "good options" available, as based on evidence. I'd be OK with Gold Dot short barrel 124gr too.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Standard pressure GD 124s, at least, don't expand out of a G43 -- Chuck Haggard and Tamara demonstrated that to me repeatedly in 2016.

As mentioned, +P loads may not run great in some compact pistols.

Short barrel pistols are not as good as service pistols. Load and carry appropriately.
    And yet, they will still group really well and punch through bone. If that’s what you have, I’d rather use it than ball, or a sharp stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The question right now isn't whether it's the best, or even if it's on Doc's list. It's a matter of what you have or what you can find. It's Federal, it's HST, and I'd carry it without worry.
    True.
    I went to local store and they were either out of defensive ammo or wanted $2 per round.
    Luckily found someone with those Federal HST.

Haven't been to the range for a while so haven't tried these at all from either gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    And yet, they will still group really well and punch through bone. If that’s what you have, I’d rather use it than ball, or a sharp stick.
    Sure. I have avoided the issue by largely putting my subcompacts away. The point isn't that GD is bad, it's that subcompacts should be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Dunno if 124gr standard pressure Federal HST is "best" or not, but since Doc gave it his approval, and since my daily CCW is a compact gun (Gen 5 G26), it's what I carry, and I long ago squirreled away a case of it, since it's reliable and shoots right to POA.

I don't worry much about any "single best" round. I insist that POI = POA, in my hands, in my gun, and that it's among the known "good options" available, as based on evidence. I'd be OK with Gold Dot short barrel 124gr too.
    Similar to where I'm at. I like simplicity, so I wanted to be able to stock a lot of one load to use in all 9mm guns (was previously using PDX-1 124 +P in larger guns and Gold Dot short barrel loads in small ones). This happens to be that one load for me. Runs great in all my guns, shoots to the sights, is plenty accurate, and is a known performer. That's pretty much everything I need, so all I have to do know is buy it when I see it.

I have a good supply of 124gr. HST and it works great in my pistols regardless of size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I like simplicity, so I wanted to be able to stock a lot of one load to use in all 9mm guns...Runs great in all my guns, shoots to the sights, is plenty accurate, and is a known performer.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I have a good supply of 124gr. HST and it works great in my pistols regardless of size.
    +1, but I went with the +P version and have a decent supply.

User Tag List