Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the best 9mm defense ammo?

Question Is this the best 9mm defense ammo?

For M&P shield?
    What's your experience?

P9HST1 124 grain.

Site Supporter
    It's not on Doc's list, though the +P version is. The +P version is my choice for 9x19.

The question right now isn't whether it's the best, or even if it's on Doc's list. It's a matter of what you have or what you can find. It's Federal, it's HST, and I'd carry it without worry.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The question right now isn't whether it's the best, or even if it's on Doc's list. It's a matter of what you have or what you can find. It's Federal, it's HST, and I'd carry it without worry.
    To quote a certain mod out of context “standards are for the good times”
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Actually, he did say it was approved.

If you read the ‘9mm 147gr Approved Duty loads’ sticky thread, post #144

DocGKR
    Palo Alto, CA
    Prdator--much like with the 124 gr GD, both the standard pressure and +P 124 gr HST work, the +P is a just a bit better for LE duty use and neither are as good as the 147 gr HST. And before you ask, the 147 gr +P HST is not quite as ideal as the standard pressure 147 gr HST.
    Last edited by Sauer Koch; 01-06-2021 at 06:47 AM.

I’d probably want to make sure it ran in my gun, is all.

But if that was all I had available to me, yes, I’d carry it. As has been said by folks smarter than me, the selection of ‘optimum’ performance SD ammo should be less of a concern than shot placement.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    Actually, he did say it was approved.

If you read the ‘9mm 147gr Approved Duty loads’ sticky thread, post #144

DocGKR
    Palo Alto, CA
    Prdator--much like with the 124 gr GD, both the standard pressure and +P 124 gr HST work, the +P is a just a bit better for LE duty use and neither are as good as the 147 gr HST. And before you ask, the 147 gr +P HST is not quite as ideal as the standard pressure 147 gr HST.
    Sheesh, you're right. Neither of the standard pressure loads is on the list.

FWIW, Doc also said the standard pressure Gold Dot in 124 gr. was fine as well, and he wouldn't hesitate to carry it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    FWIW, Doc also said the standard pressure Gold Dot in 124 gr. was fine as well, and he wouldn't hesitate to carry it.
    Ah, I think I remember that now.

I've accumulated a variety of carry ammo over the last 24 months, some due to supply issues, some due to selecting a load that will run in the (various) carry guns. Generally these have all been 4.1" barrel length or less in 9mm. These include Federal HST 147, Speer GD 124+p, 124 standard, and 115 standard. The only hesitation I've had is when the discussion popped up on "concerns" related to the HST 147, the details of which escape me. That brought me to order a few boxes of GD 124+p again. Specifically for the P365, I selected GD 115 for concerns the heavier 147 would not run reliably in the little Sig; so far it's been 100%. However I can't find the 115 at an affordable price, and the few jewel boxes I bought early last year are about out; this is my wife's gun and we are clocking through it at a regular pace. Those 20 round boxes don't last forever.

Still, all of it "works", and should be effective, so I load up what I can get and make sure it runs, then get on with training. Mostly these days that's the GD 124+p.

EDIT TO ADD I will also say I'm very satisfied with the recoil impulse of the +p 124 GD in the Glock 48; it is much softer than I would have thought, and (if I had an unlimited supply) would run it exclusively for SD *and* training. I also have found it groups very well in my pistols.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-06-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Some smaller pistols function better with standard pressure ammo.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

User Tag List