Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flashlight techniques with dogs

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I don’t think I’m up for this one. I did that full time when she was a puppy and it was a good training technique, and she’s normally very well behaved on-leash. But now she’s just too strong, the once or twice she’s gone bananas I could hold her back with the leverage and shock absorption I get from holding the leash, but would be worried she would pull me over if she was clipped to my waistline. Plus I worry if another dog comes up and wants to fight her; I’d rather have the option to drop the leash super-quickly.
    For hiking I use skijoring leads with this style quick-release. It’s a fast one-handed pull to release.
    https://akkosports.com/en/product/panic-snap-58-dia

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The problem with a headlamp is it illuminates your rear sight and makes it hard to see the front sight.

I typically use a headlamp on low, but want a WML and/or handheld in addition.
    I've tested mine with no issues...YMMV.

I occasionally go without the headlamp with one of my several Malkoffs...but the headlamp is the most convenient option.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've tested mine with no issues...YMMV.

I occasionally go without the headlamp with one of my several Malkoffs...but the headlamp is the most convenient option.
    I ruck early pre dawn with doggo with SF wristlight, Streamlight headlamp and strong light in dominant hand. Leash in left. X300 on G45.
    I’ve drilled head lamp and see all my sights just fine also.

To to OP - work SHO a lot is my advice.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Walking my dog at night, I’m realizing I have no idea if there are better or worse ways to deal with the dog plus a flashlight to put myself in the best position if I ever got in a situation where I judged it was necessary to draw a weapon. Any advice?
    If I find myself in that situation, I don't want to remain tethered to the dog. I normally carry something like this in my strong hand, which is robust enough to break a windshield out of a vehicle. If that is not enough, I'll drop the leash, transfer the light to the support hand and draw the weapon.

I have a normal 6 ft leash but it has a D ring just below the grip loop. I also have a 2 ft leash. I put my belt through the loop on the short leash when I am putting my OWB holster and gun on. I then clip the short leash into that D ring on the long leash. I walk holding the loop of the long leash like I normally would. I figure I can let go of the leash and my dog will still be attached to me. Generally I am more worried about protecting my dog than myself so I'd rather he didn't go off into the wild blue yonder while fighting the other dog.

This is the type leash I use. Very versatile if you click on the link it will show you the leashing options one of them being cross body which leaves both hands free.
    I cant speak to the quality of this leash in particular but one of these of good quality should last a lifetime.

https://www.amazon.com/Dogs-My-Love-...2136292&sr=8-8
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List