Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did some shooting with the .357/9MM Blackhawk

Yeah that's probably right in line why my "Daily Driver" is a .44 mag medium load of 10 grains of Unique and a 240/250 cast SWC. That really does 95% of all I will ever need to do, and is not so punishing as the fire breathing, dragon slaying loads.

I should not have clicked on this thread.

I spent the first part of 2020 saving cash and squirreling it away, with plans to buy a Ruger 5.5" Flattop convertible in SS ( model 5247 )... and Marlin 1894 CSBL ( the stainless/laminate/scout rail carbine) both in .357. If I could find them for reasonable prices.

The Marlins steadily climbed in price from $900... to now north of $1500-$1700 on Gunbroker, and fewer and fewer are being listed all the time. Now Marlin, is for at least a year or two, defunct (until Ruger, maybe, brings them back). And as far as I can tell the 5.5" Flattop .357 is not being made by Ruger anymore.

I gave up on those ideas.

So I spent the money on a MOS Glock 19 and an RMR... I'm still tickled with the new gun, but I sure wish the insanity of the last year hadn't put such a crimp into my plans. I did figure out that the NOE 170gr Keith bullet might *just* fit in the cylinder of my S&W 60-10 J-frame without having to crimp over the front driving band... so that was some small consolation. I have not loaded or test fired any live rounds yet.

Site Supporter
    I have an older JM Marlin 1894 in .357, and a 28-2 6”, and a 60-9.

One would think I am set for .357s. Even perhaps for revolvers in general when one considers the others in my accumulation. But a flat top Ruger still sings its siren song to me.

I went to the LGS after work because of this thread. They were very busy, so I didn’t get to put paws on anything, but the revolver section had several single actions, including some .357 Blackhawks, and a couple of Super Blackhawks with 7.5” barrels. Oh, and there was a very pretty Uberti SAA clone in .45. But I want a Blackhawk.

One .45 ACP Blackhawk with a 7.5” barrel. Scratching my head on that one - maybe the original owner shot it mostly with the ACP cylinder and lost the .45 Colt cylinder? Doesn’t seem likely that it left the factory with just an ACP cylinder, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

I want a 4 5/8 or 5.5”, and I think I want it in a .45 convertible. But a .357 would make more logistical sense - I have enough .38 and .357 reloading gear and supplies that feeding another one wouldn’t be a big deal, and no dies or large pistol primers or bullets for a .44 or .45.

Spent some time on the Altamont website tonight shopping for grips for my Single Six, too. Had nothing to do with the fact that a Blackhawk could wear the same ones. Nope, nothing to do with that at all.
    Last edited by Duelist; 01-08-2021 at 01:24 AM.

This idea of arguing back and forth *between* .357/.38/9mm and .44mag/special/.45colt/acp is the wrong attitude, when it comes to Ruger SA revolvers.

Just saying.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    This idea of arguing back and forth *between* .357/.38/9mm and .44mag/special/.45colt/acp is the wrong attitude, when it comes to Ruger SA revolvers.

Just saying.
    My grandfather spent his entire adult life with 3 firearms: a .22 Browning semiauto, an Ithaca 37 sweet 16, and a sporterized 1903A3 he bought from the NRA or the DCM for a few bucks when dad was a little boy. The austerity of that is in some ways baffling, but also kind of interesting. He was also raising ten kids, so owning some firearms as tools was reasonable, but collecting was not so much. He never had a pistol after he turned in his .45 and sold his pair of captured German 9mms, because he saw them as only tools for killing people, and wanted nothing more to do with that after the war.

When I was a child, my dad had a Marlin 336 and an H&R .22. He has several more firearms now, but, myself, I now own far more guns than both of them put together.

I would have no objection to owning more than I have, besides buying more guitars, but I’ll need either more time or a much greater income stream for either. For now, it’s more of a question if I should buy one in the near future, or focus on debt reduction, and when I do get another, what the second Ruger SA should be since the first is a Single Six, as is only right and proper.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    if my wife had her way we’d be moving to Alaska tomorrow so...
    Can we arrange a wife swap?

My first CF handgun was an old model BH .357/9mm convertible.

46 years and thousands of rounds later, the 9mm cylinder still hasn’t been fired.

I’ve been a hardcore revolver lover my whole life and have just never come around to the “Heinie nine”, as Skeeter Skelton once referred to it.

The fact that the whole world has adopted it, and mostly in plastic semi-autos, only seems to have strengthened my resistance.

I guess I’m just contrary by nature.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Can we arrange a wife swap?

46 years and thousands of rounds later, the 9mm cylinder still hasn’t been fired.

I’ve been a hardcore revolver lover my whole life and have just never come around to the “Heinie nine”, as Skeeter Skelton once referred to it.

The fact that the whole world has adopted it, and mostly in plastic semi-autos, only seems to have strengthened my resistance.

I guess I’m just contrary by nature.
    She might be a bit leftist for your taste...

Heh, yeah, I kinda hear you there. I used to be on the Glock and similar train for a while. Then I discovered Berettas and 1911s and haven’t really looked back. Wheelguns seem just as cool.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

Heh. My first was a New Model 6" BH convertible. It has the 200th Year of American Liberty rollmark. A few years back, I took the shipping grease off of the 9mm cylinder and fired it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I bought a 6.5" barrel. Made my own grips and matching loading block from scrap

I've tested some loads with Hornady XTP 158g

With a max load of Win296/H110 I got an average of 1341 fps (compared to published 1591).

With Accurate #9 the published fps for a max load is 1397fps and I got an average of 1364fps.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I was really kind of hoping someone was going to talk me out of it. Guess that was a really silly thought on PF...
    That's your own fault.

The Ruger Blackhawk is one of those guns that exists in a very nice convergence of price, quality, fun factor, practicality, and fantasy that makes it a must-have. They also hold value well so if you decide it doesn't suit you you can get your money back out of it.

If I weren't trying to stock up on mags and things right now I'd probably be on Gunbroker looking for a deal on a second. And probably a third to keep up at my dad's place so I can fly out to visit without having to check guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List