Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did some shooting with the .357/9MM Blackhawk

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

Did some shooting with the .357/9MM Blackhawk

My dad passed away a few years ago and I have been slowly going through his guns and checking them out. Recently I started shooting his Blackhawk that we picked up about 30 years ago. It is a .357/9mm convertible with a 4 5/8th in barrel. I was trying to work up a load for it and started to get some misfires. I sent it off to Ruger and they had it back to me in less that 10 days. It seems it needed a new transfer bar. I now have a couple of those in the parts bin.

It was pretty cold and windy so I was mostly shooting for fun. I shot these three groups on the same target for perspective.

I started with my normal load using a 158 grain XTP over a max load of H110. This shot pretty will at 25 yards and the group was was about 3 inches in diameter.

Using the same hold I fired a cylinder of 9MM 115 ball ammo. It shot about 5 inches low and into a group of about 6 inches. This could definitely be used in a pinch, but I think the 9MM will be reserved for back up. I will keep testing other loads to see if I can improve this.

Lastly I shot a group with using 180 grain XTP bullets and a mostly full dose of H110. I have been using this load more and more in my .357's as it is very powerful for the cartridge, but easier on the ears and not as "Blasty" as the 125's or the 158's. Interestingly this load shot the best with a group of about 2 inches and much closer to the 9MM grouping. I think if I was going to be more serious about using the 9MM cylinder, this would be the load that I would use in the gun for the .357.

Overall it was a great day in the desert, even with the cold and the wind. All in all I am very impressed with this Ruger and happy to get some of my dad's guns back to work.

Name:  IMG_0859.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  62.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0860.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0854.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  52.5 KB
    Last edited by ECVMatt; 01-05-2021 at 09:34 PM.

Nice work with that old Blackhawk. Those 180s seem to be the ticket, that's what I use in my 357 Carbine.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    The 180's shoot really well. I am going to test them in the Ruger and the Marlin. I am hopeful that one or both will like them and then I will have a dance partner for the Blackhawk!

Your dad had superb taste.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

They are good shooters. I had one years ago, fun gun but I rarely shot it. My son liked it for a while, when he was around 10 years old, and I had a really soft 147 grain 9mm load that he would use.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Damn, that's a fine looking pistol.

I don't get excited by many guns anymore and have practically lost the desire to buy anything else but that sure makes me want an old Blackhawk.

About my only regret on moving to the island is that I never get to go wandering out in BC's high desert country, which is the other part of this province I really loved. That'd be a hell of a desert hiking gun.

Maybe I should get one to ensure my kid can have it later.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    Damn, that's a fine looking pistol.

I don't get excited by many guns anymore and have practically lost the desire to buy anything else but that sure makes me want an old Blackhawk.

About my only regret on moving to the island is that I never get to go wandering out in BC's high desert country, which is the other part of this province I really loved. That'd be a hell of a desert hiking gun.

Maybe I should get one to ensure my kid can have it later.
    Agreed, the stag grips really are perfectly suited to that gun.

I still have the factory grips on mine which Ive always wanted to replace but never gotten around to it.

A damn fine looking piece indeed. Every time I see a Blackhawk on here I’m reminded how bad I want one if nothing else for “just because”.

Such a great little sidearm.

Some .38 wadcutters would be a hoot for plinking and small game!

Between a box of wadcutters and a box of your heavy H110/180 XTP loads you could be pretty well covered.

As others have said, your dad had great taste!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Such a great little sidearm.

Some .38 wadcutters would be a hoot for plinking and small game!

Between a box of wadcutters and a box of your heavy H110/180 XTP loads you could be pretty well covered.

As others have said, your dad had great taste!
    Is there anything this thing can't do that a Blackhawk in .45Colt can do? There's a used 4.62" Blackhawk in .357 at a LGS for like $500...

User Tag List