Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Savage announces new straight pull rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I really don’t think you have much to worry about. This is the same locking mechanism as the Heym straight pull rifle which has been in production since 1988.

It’s a variation on a theme of the mechanism used on the MG42 machine gun and the HK G3 and every other HK roller-delayed blowback gun ever produced (you basically have an internal wedge that forces locking lugs or delaying rollers into cut outs in the receiver) It’s a historically proven system of locking a rifle action that has been around since ww2

Excellent video!

Ive always loved the idea of a straight pull rifle, but am too much of a poor to consider one of the modern ones. This savage may change that.

The combo safety/decocker is ingenious, and gives me the warm and fuzzies.

The ball bearings are mounted on the outer bolt. The inner bolt pushes the ball bearings into a ball shaped recess in the receiver when it is pushed all the way forward into the outer bolt. As the inner bolt is pulled back, the bearings have no resistance and drop back down into the bolt. As you continie to pull back the whole bolt assembly comes backward. Am I understanding that correctly?

Site Supporter
    Are the wear points equal to longevity of the design vs my dollars invested is what I wonder.
    Last edited by camel; 01-11-2021 at 11:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Are the wear points equal to longevity of the design vs my dollars invested is what I wonder.
    I don’t see why not. And even if they do wear, they’re not part of the serialized receiver (ball bearings and barrel extension) so they shouldn’t be too hard to replace.

Here’s a link where they took a Heym to 10,700 bar, which is 155,000 psi and the thing didn’t go all splodey.

https://www.norhunt.no/blog/heym-sr30-trykktest

If Savage can keep the QC up it should be a plenty strong action.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I don’t see why not. And even if they do wear, they’re not part of the serialized receiver (ball bearings and barrel extension) so they shouldn’t be too hard to replace.

Here’s a link where they took a Heym to 10,700 bar, which is 155,000 psi and the thing didn’t go all splodey.

https://www.norhunt.no/blog/heym-sr30-trykktest

If Savage can keep the QC up it should be a plenty strong action.
    Dam. Okay

Interesting item, but I have found waiting a year or so for things like these to work out bugs tends to be the prudent approach.

I agree with the philosophy of letting others beta test.

That said, the longer this thread goes on, and the longer that magpul AICS 10-rounders stay cheap, the more I think that one of these guns remains in my future.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List