Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage announces new straight pull rifles

Savage announces new straight pull rifles

#RESIST

I'm not enormously interested in rifles, but I always think innovation is cool.

I likely will be a buyer. The ability to move the bolt handle to the left side (I am left-eye dominant and shoot scoped rifles off my left shoulder) and the AICS detachable box magazine along with some of the existing Savage rifle features wins my business. Not sure on caliber. I have not tried a 6.5mm round since .260 Remington, so 6.5 Creedmoor is interesting.
    Last edited by farscott; 01-05-2021 at 07:57 PM.

I might buy one of these just for fun.

Site Supporter
    It doesn't come in 7.5x55, WTF?

My K31 approves...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Educate me on straight pull vs regular. Advantages / disadvantages etc?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I can see it now - Looks like one of those rapid fire rifles with a magazine thingy, we should ban it.

The left-handed option convinced me, I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Educate me on straight pull vs regular. Advantages / disadvantages etc?
    Speed of cycling the action on straight pulls is very fast compared to a bolt action. Strength can be equivalent to a lot of bolt actions and some straight pull oriented cartridges (primarily Newton designs) were in at least the light magnum range. On the other hand, some straight pulls historically have had issues with firing out of battery, sensitivity to dirty action, etc. They mostly stopped seeing any design traction after WW1 except the Swiss Schmidt-Rubins (See 7.5 x 55 and K31 comments above) which were were still a primary service rifle circa WW2 and seeing reserve use as late as the 1980's. Step-Son's first self bought rifle is a Swiss surplus Schimdt-Rubin and he loves it. Haven't shot it yet myself so no opinion. Cool that Savage is making something different and coloring outside the lines though.
    Last edited by Half Moon; 01-05-2021 at 11:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    I would love a modern American made straight pull.
    Those bearings in the bolt design give me pause tough.
    Not sure I like the durability of them. I’ll have to look up the pattens but I assume they are spring loaded. That’s a lot of failure points.

User Tag List