Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage announces new straight pull rifles

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I have coworker who has multiple custom bolt guns north of $4-5K and has attended multiple classes at all the vetted LR/ELR places. He says if he were to ever look for a factory bolt rifle the search would stop and start at Savage.

Bill Rapier also has a lot of praise the products and the people behind the company.
    I worked at a gun store for about five years and the saying back then (10 years ago) was, "If you want to win, go custom, go Savage or go home." I have been very pleased with the Savage rifles I own.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    This is very interesting. My experience with Savage rifles has been nothing but positive, including recent production stuff. A scout'ish rifle profile with this action would certainly tempt me.
    With an 18" barrel, I could see it fitting into the practical category, but 24" is too long for that, at least in my opinion.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    With an 18" barrel, I could see it fitting into the practical category, but 24" is too long for that, at least in my opinion.
    Their old version of the "Hog Hunter" 10/110 series came with a threaded medium or light profile 20" barrel and had a set of notch and post irons. That would be close. Their "Scout" was a 16" barrel with a threaded on comp that took AICS mags. I will wager that at some point if this action is successful we might get a variant closer to what I would like.

Looks like Timney makes a replacement trigger? That's the aspect of Savage rifles that I like the least.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have coworker who has multiple custom bolt guns north of $4-5K and has attended multiple classes at all the vetted LR/ELR places. He says if he were to ever look for a factory bolt rifle the search would stop and start at Savage.

Bill Rapier also has a lot of praise the products and the people behind the company.
    Nobody at the top of the game is running Savage, they are all running customs. Savage is a solid entry level rifle but they have their issues and limitations like everything else. Where they do well is bang for the buck compared to others. When you get one with decent options, pricing tends to be right there with the competition.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Their old version of the "Hog Hunter" 10/110 series came with a threaded medium or light profile 20" barrel and had a set of notch and post irons. That would be close. Their "Scout" was a 16" barrel with a threaded on comp that took AICS mags. I will wager that at some point if this action is successful we might get a variant closer to what I would like.
    A 16" barrel would be my preference. Anything longer than 18" is of no interest to me.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLob65 View Post
    I wouldn't think the locking bearings are only spring loaded. I would think they are mechanically actuated to ensure they lock in a positive manner. However, only time will tell, but it is great to see a manufacturer with some serious innovation!!
    Yea on second thought after you posted that your probably right.

I shoulda though about it more.

I'm a little skeptical as well. Given how much effort is put into lug design (e.g. toroidal lugs), this solution doesn't strike me as resistant to wear long term. How will the ball-socket alignment change with deformation or wear?

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I would love a modern American made straight pull.
    Those bearings in the bolt design give me pause tough.
    Not sure I like the durability of them. IÂ’ll have to look up the pattens but I assume they are spring loaded. ThatÂ’s a lot of failure points.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Nobody at the top of the game is running Savage, they are all running customs. Savage is a solid entry level rifle but they have their issues and limitations like everything else. Where they do well is bang for the buck compared to others. When you get one with decent options, pricing tends to be right there with the competition.
    I wasn’t suggesting they are anywhere near PRS capability but for the generalist they seem solid as hell. I’m definitely a Tikka cultist for production bolts but the Savage stock fit is better for me and to see the 6.5 PRC and Proof barrels offered stock is a nice bonus.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    I wasn’t suggesting they are anywhere near PRS capability but for the generalist they seem solid as hell. I’m definitely a Tikka cultist for production bolts but the Savage stock fit is better for me and to see the 6.5 PRC and Proof barrels offered stock is a nice bonus.

Tikka and Seekins make great production rifles that we occasionally carry when they are available.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

User Tag List